JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I guess this question could pertain to other calibers, but I am wondering specifically about 30-06.

Does anyone load up different bullets with different bullet shapes and weights for different purposes with the same rifle? Like develop a 125 grain load for varmit hunting, a 150 grain load for deer hunting, a 165 grain load for long range target shooting, and a 180+ grain bullet for bear hunting. I am considering trying it out with my favorite 30-06 rifle but switching between loads would require re-zeroing my scope. It might just be easier to have a different gun for each purpose...

What say you, fellow reloaders?

I don't load 30-06 but yes I have several different weight and profile projectiles for each of my firearms. I'm dead certain I'll find a combo that never misses with the next one I tryo_O.

And yes the zero moves, but I try to note how the zero changes with loads I decide to keep in my log so I can dope my scope or change my hold wothout hunting and pecking for a half hour.

I like the 165 weight for all around shooting and the hunting of Deer and Black Bear...I have used and like the 180 grain weight on elk and moose...I'd use it on Brown Bear as well...but I think I'd rather have a 200-220 weight if I could....
Andy

I've found i get stuck on a certain bullet weight in the ol 06, and then tire of it and want to try something new. One article i read a long time ago said the 165 was the perfect weight for the 06, because it offered the best compromise between energy, velocity and trajectory. I remember trying what the op is asking about, when i was young. I shot 55gr accelerators, 110gr plinking loads, 150gr for deer and 180's for elk. I got tired of always having to re-zero for each load and decided to just shoot 165's. They were accurate and worked great from coyotes up to elk. Now i have varmint rifles, deer rifles and elk rifles, that do the job of that 1 30-06 rifle i grew up with.

I use a Speer 150 gr BTSP #2022 bullet over 58 gr of RL 17 for deer size and smaller critters. I get about 3100 avg fps.
The other peculiar load I like is a Hornady 178 gr A-MAX #30712 over 54 gr of H4350 for larger critters and long range targets. I have considered a 200 gr jacketed bullet but could not convince myself the ballistics were worth the effort.
The A-MAX is considered and ultra low drag bullet profile, I do like shooting it over 4350 and it is what my rifle seems to like. When we had the powder shortage a while back I worked up a load with 2700 but just could not get the combination right.

Each load for the same rifle requires a log book so I can cook up the same recipe at a later date. Also I keep a trajectory / range card for each load and always zero @ 100. Switching back and forth does not really pose a problem after the initial work up and a trajectory / range confirmation. It's simply a matter of putting three or four down range and resetting zero. All that said I find myself predominately shooting the 150 gr load as it seems more versatile for my use, and I can still reach out there,, albeit not with the same terminal energy.

The more you experiment the more you learn the nuances of the overall length and distance off the lands can make to the same flavor recipe. Have fun with it and stay safe.

~Whitney

I only load .30-06 for M1 rifles so I just stick to 150 or sometimes 168 gr loads.

For other rifles I tend to pick a weight and stick with it, then i just use certain rifles for certain purposes. It's annoying to have to re zero all the time.

I always believe that you match the rifle, projectile and loading to suit the shooting requirments and note how the rifle responds. For the might 06, I tend to stick with 165 168 and 180 for about 90% of my needs, with the exception being large predators, and I prefer a 220 for them! Most bullets are pretty close, and accuracy is essential, so I tend to focused on the bullets that give the best accuracy at hunting distances I would normally take a shot at, plus a little extra, just in case! I can use the 06 for pretty much every species, but prefer to swap to a smaller cartridge for deer, ether a 6.5X55 Swede, or a .243 so I don't blow out as much meat! If any thing the 06 is a might bit too big for deer, but it works, and works well enough to keep me from playing with the others more! About the only other caliber that I use interchangeably is the .270 Win! I find most of my rifles like the Swift bullets, especially the Scriocco, but there are many others that also work good, but I have pretty much settled on the Swift line up!:)

I don't load for 30-06, but the other rifles, sure. Several different weight and style Bullets for several different purposes.

Always take the option that results in more firearms owned.

But on a serious note, the 30-06 is versatile for those who can't afford more guns. Having one gun/scope/load for each unique task is a luxury for those who can afford it. And it sounds like you can afford at least one more rifle.

Own 4 30-06 rifles I shoot only hand loads

I have one load that imitates the Military M2 Ball load using either a FMJ or Spire point bullet I use in my 1903 Springfield and 1944 Springfield M1 Garand

I have 4 loads I use for Hunting in my Rugar M-77R a 130 grain HP a 150 Grain Spire point/or 150 grain Nosler Ballistic tip and a 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip. By adjusting the muzzle velocity I have it so all 4 loads will print within a 1.5" circle at 100 yards and a 2.5" circle at 200 yards I typically sight in to hit 1.5" high at 100 yards. This will allow me to hit any thing I would be hunting with my -06 from 50 to 300 yards. With out messing with my scope. On the 180 grain rounds I just hold a hair higher at longer ranges.

For my 1917 Enfield Sporter I shoot anything I want and play with it so it could be anything from a 110gr FMJ to a 220gr round nose.

I reload 30/06 for my M1s, O3s, 1917 and Model 70. I use different bullet weight for different
type of shooting. For competition shooting at the short line 100 & 200 yards I have been
working with 135 SMK light loads. Much less recoil. You just have to put a hole in paper
not kill an Elk.;) 168 SMK is my standard load for match shooting. I use 175 SMK for
the 600 yard line. Don't honestly know if the 175 SMK shoot that much better than 168 SMK.
But the 175s seems to work well at 600 yard line. Shot a 97-6!:D My 168 SMK load is
also the most accurate load I have ever shot out of my Win Model 70.;)

I shoot 165 hornady interlock for hunting and 168 hornady match for target shooting. I want to know that when I fire that weapon the scope is on for that bullet weight. If your bouncing the weights of your bullets around your scope may or may not be zeroed correctly. Shoot one weight all the time and there will be minimal chance your scope won't be zeroed. One rifle one load.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top