JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't see the need for one on my EDC.
for one thing it's heavy and you need a special holster.
And it's harder to hide it.
You can get a small flashlight to carry with you a pen light or something like that.
But I am not law enforcement so I don't plan on going down any dark allys looking for bad guys.
So I don't really need one .ON THE STREET

You can get a small flashlight to carry with you a pen light or something like that.
But I am not law enforcement so I don't plan on going down any dark allys looking for bad guys.

I carry a light on my person just as often as I carry a gun. And a knife you WA folks can't own. ;)

I carry a light on my person just as often as I carry a gun. And a knife you WA folks can't own. ;)
Lol so I can't carry one but the bad guys can. MVIMG_20190427_010714.jpg

If you are at the point of having someone at gunpoint, you probably don't want to give that up. At that point, I am not reloading and if my gun is in malfunction I am praying the BG doesn't know it. But at that point I find the nearest light switch and light the room/house up If you only have a handheld, its going to be tricky to keep the light and do anything. Unless you keep several lights on you, you're likely going to lose the one you have in a real situation. I carry three handhelds on duty, not including my WML. You're blind if you lose a light and its all you have. Now you're in deep doo-doo.
As a police officer/ LEO (I am assuming you are from what you've written), your point is valid, for your situation.
I am not a policeman, so I don't have to go hunting for bad guys outside my house.
Inside my house I have lights and all I need to do is flip a switch and my house is illuminated. Outside my house becomes a different set of tactical AND legal issues that I simply choose to avoid by not going out there and calling the police instead.

When it comes time to light the guy up with a WML, I don't care if he knows where I'm at. He knows he is at gunpoint. Once again, yes he knows it because you are LEO. In my case all he knows is there's a light on him that may or may not have a gun behind it and he may or may not shoot based on his mindset and/or level of intoxication. I guess that is a problem for you as well. A defensive situation isn't the same as being at war and everyone has NVGs on. Any light you use will broadcast your location anyway. Agreed, but I prefer to hold the light away from my body rather than give an aim point centered on my face, which is where that light will be if I am aiming my pistol at the BG.

There are plenty of advantages to having a light on your gun. I don't search with mine. I use a handheld What are you doing with your handheld while you are lighting up the perp with your WML? . But, when it comes time to challenge someone, the light is on. It gives me a perfect outline of my sights and is focused enough that it acts as a means to aim when at the ranges you'd find indoors. And that works for you so I wish you the best, sincerely. Stay safe!

In bold again.

In bold again.

None of your responses provide a disadvantage for the wml, just your unwillingness to use one. Worry about a guy shooting toward your wml? Shoot him first! You would have to have your gun on him to put yourself in this jeopardy, right? Just pull the trigger!

You never leave the home at night? You never go anywhere dark? Why carry at all if you're going to rely on the police?

And as long as no bad guys every find you, you're good! I moonlight at a bar and see plenty of that around 2 AM.

None of your responses provide a disadvantage for the wml, just your unwillingness to use one. Worry about a guy shooting toward your wml? Yeah, because sometimes there's more than one guy Shoot him first! You would have to have your gun on him to put yourself in this jeopardy, right? Just pull the trigger! Really. Just pull the trigger?

You never leave the home at night? You never go anywhere dark? Why carry at all if you're going to rely on the police?

Are you LEO? I'm starting to think maybe not. Of course I go out at night. I just don't go out looking for an opportunity to shoot someone' And No, I don't often go places where its dark and if I do, I don't do it with a gun drawn and at ready, I just walk through.
Why rely on police? Seriously? Because they are professionals and I pay for them to do that work. My desire is to get that bad guy out of my house. Period. I don't want to kill anyone. I don't want to clean blood off my floor and walls. I just want the SOB out.

None of my responses were intended to prove a disadvantage to a weapon mounted light, they are just why I prefer not to use one. Why that seems to upset you is baffling. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and as I said before; You do whatever gets you through your day and stay safe.
BTW What do you do with your handheld light when you're bringing your pistol with a wml up on the bad guy?

Are you LEO? I'm starting to think maybe not. Of course I go out at night. I just don't go out looking for an opportunity to shoot someone' And No, I don't often go places where its dark and if I do, I don't do it with a gun drawn and at ready, I just walk through.
Why rely on police? Seriously? Because they are professionals and I pay for them to do that work. My desire is to get that bad guy out of my house. Period. I don't want to kill anyone. I don't want to clean blood off my floor and walls. I just want the SOB out.

None of my responses were intended to prove a disadvantage to a weapon mounted light, they are just why I prefer not to use one. Why that seems to upset you is baffling. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and as I said before; You do whatever gets you through your day and stay safe.
BTW What do you do with your handheld light when you're bringing your pistol with a wml up on the bad guy?

Yes, Im an LEO and I would most definitely recommend you pull the trigger if you think someone is going to shoot at your WML. That's your scenario, right? That you don't want a light since someone will shoot at it? All the cool handheld methods like the FBI method are great in idea, but in practice, put you in as much peril, especially in hallways. The harries method is unstable and indexing on your body does nothing but make your gun easier to take away from you.

Its not about wanting to kill someone, its about doing what's necessary to live. If you fart around too much, you'll probably die. If you think the police will be there when you need them, you'll be disappointed in the best case scenario.

An LEOs job is to enforce the law. The opportunity to actually save or protect someone is rare. Id rather they take some personal responsibility and protect themselves.

Its not about being upset. Its great that you've made your mind up. However, for someone else who hasn't, they should get both sides of the story. Especially if the opposing view comes from someone who does this stuff on a daily basis. You would be surprised how effective bright lights are at getting compliance or scaring people off. Sure, I can use a handheld, but at that point, I'm not playing games. I can use my free hand to get on the radio, support my shooting hand, push people around, whatever.

If I draw on a guy and the light comes on, the handheld goes into a pocket/carrier/falls on the ground, dangles from my wrist if I'm wearing a lanyard, etc. Regardless, the WML makes losing the handheld less catastrophic. Its a failsafe, not a replacement for a good handheld or 3. I EDC a handheld as well when I'm off duty.

Much depends on the combination of gun/light that you are carrying. If you're carrying a Glock 19 with a Surefire x300 variant on it...or perhaps a TLR1...you can find tons of IWB holsters. But your options tend to dwindle as you move away from these combinations.

It kinda makes sense when you think about it. There are now tons of weapon lights on the market. There's no way companies can cover all of them. It just isn't financially practical for them. So they tend to cover the most popular ones.

IWB?

I never bought into the idea that a WML somehow "marks" you for a bad guy. Ever look into 800+ lumens? Scorched retinas to say the least. Let alone aiming and hitting it.

Yes, Im an LEO and I would most definitely recommend you pull the trigger if you think someone is going to shoot at your WML. That's your scenario, right? That you don't want a light since someone will shoot at it? All the cool handheld methods like the FBI method are great in idea, but in practice, put you in as much peril, especially in hallways. The harries method is unstable and indexing on your body does nothing but make your gun easier to take away from you.

Its not about wanting to kill someone, its about doing what's necessary to live. If you fart around too much, you'll probably die. If you think the police will be there when you need them, you'll be disappointed in the best case scenario.

An LEOs job is to enforce the law. The opportunity to actually save or protect someone is rare. Id rather they take some personal responsibility and protect themselves.

Its not about being upset. Its great that you've made your mind up. However, for someone else who hasn't, they should get both sides of the story. Especially if the opposing view comes from someone who does this stuff on a daily basis. You would be surprised how effective bright lights are at getting compliance or scaring people off. Sure, I can use a handheld, but at that point, I'm not playing games. I can use my free hand to get on the radio, support my shooting hand, push people around, whatever.

If I draw on a guy and the light comes on, the handheld goes into a pocket/carrier/falls on the ground, dangles from my wrist if I'm wearing a lanyard, etc. Regardless, the WML makes losing the handheld less catastrophic. Its a failsafe, not a replacement for a good handheld or 3. I EDC a handheld as well when I'm off duty.
Point taken and I truly appreciate your honesty and explanation.
Stay safe.

Not only that, if I have him lit up I would definitely be able to see and get a jump on bad intentions, if he had any.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews