JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope. My smile just brightens the room:p

tumblr_ls6lxesuhS1qiros0o1_500.gif

I just carry a bright yellow Sure-fire. That way if you drop it in the dark, you can find it easier.

Flashlights are to illuminate areas that you cannot see into. If you can see an area and cover it with your gun, don't use your flashlight. If you can't, you should be able to use the flashlight to illuminate areas you can't see and put your gun on them.

Either way, don't be this guy: http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/jerome-hauer-handgun-laser-pointer/2014/01/07/id/545700/

I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning on connecting every light inside and outside of my house to an X10 module and program a button on a key fob, one push and every light on the property comes on... problem solved. I ain't going outside after an intruder unless another member of my family is in trouble out there, and the dog goes with.

Not on the handguns, but the HD carbine has a Surefire with a momentary switch, forward of the handguard.

I'd like to have the option for the G-21 pistol, but as mentioned above, the holster fit is a problem, as is the extra size and weight, the things are large enough as they are.

A light on the classic 1911 just doesn't seem right, aside from the fact there's no rail on it.

I'm sure, if I had to work an armed shift at night all the time, I'd give in to a Safariland belt holster and streamlight TLR (or similar) but as it is, a 5.11 ATAC in a pocket is going to suffice.

I like my light and gun separate....

In the dark, I might want to point my light at most everything, but I definitely do not want to point my gun at everything.....

Nope, but I do have a CT laser on my Kahr PM9. I wasn't really planning on it, but came across one used for $80 and couldn't pass it up.

Why do people keep saying they don't want a light on their gun because they don't want to point their gun at people? Especially with a high-lumen weapon mounted light, you can search at low ready and bounce the light off the floor. I want two hands on my gun if a bogey is down the hall somewhere!

Why do people keep saying they don't want a light on their gun because they don't want to point their gun at people? Especially with a high-lumen weapon mounted light, you can search at low ready and bounce the light off the floor. I want two hands on my gun if a bogey is down the hall somewhere!

Well, I used to be a heavy equipment mechanic and loved those headband mounted LED lights, goes wherever you look... I thought about putting one next to my carry gun when I went to bed at night... for about a half second, LOL! I need a small drone with lights and laser that hovers off to one side of me and follows my head movements....

This is a good question and fits in the "it depends" situation.

Where are you likely to be and what are you likely to be doing?

Me, when I am out&about I want to be as concealed as possible.
And for those 2 is one, one is none people, where is your armored division?

At home, in suburbia, I plan to make noise - and be trying to get any bad actors to go away.
Would I expect someone to stalk me, or set up an ambush perhaps based upon my light - not so much.

Those in more rural settings, have a different set of needs.
Being able to hunker down, or maneuver for position, stalk the bad actors yourself, all real possibilities.

The argument on weapons mounted light that I have read most often comes like this:
If you have the light, you might find yourself using it in place of a flash light and then end up pointing your weapon at people you would never intend to harm.
If you have the light, then you have a better ability to identify the bad actor - and not end up blasting some manikin, or halloween decoration blowing in the wind.

Pick your poison - and train.
if you are a few feet from a wall in your house, in total dark, and turn on a flashlight so that is hits the wall in front of your face, what might happen? example, your head and sights are around the edge of the wall - maybe even the barrel, but the flashlight is not.
Will a hand held light illuminate your sights, or wash them out?

Speaking of sights, I believe a weapon-mounted light has a clear advantage in this area. High-quality, squared-off sights are perfectly silhouetted in the forward wash of light. Although "night sights" are rendered useless in terms of their tritium, their steel outline is strongly visible with the hot spot of your light directly where the gun is pointed.

I prefer a small handheld flashlight myself, even more so on a sub compact such as the P365. I say that because I got the P365 to be as small as it can be and more concealable so I didn't want to hang a light on it. Depends on what your goals are though.

I prefer a small handheld flashlight myself, even more so on a sub compact such as the P365. I say that because I got the P365 to be as small as it can be and more concealable so I didn't want to hand a light on it. Depends on what your goals are though.

Yup, old school;).

Gives ya something in your off hand with some thump if you need it:D.

Plus you don't 'have' to muzzle sweep everything you want to look at.

Lotta people love the mounted lights and i woud if I couldn't point shoot but everyone is different.

No need during the day, going to and from work, or running errands. I have a Surefire G2X handheld for home use, and I practice shooting one handed.

I also have a small Sig (P238) w/ Tritium sights for ease of concealment and weight. No need to add extra bulk.

HD gun: such as carbine or large handgun should have a light.

"But I don't want to muzzle sweep everything"

well then buy a modern 1000+ lumen light and get some training on using it properly. Modern WML have enough splash to illuminate a thread without shining it directly at them.

CCW:

Personally I don't have a light on my CCW gun. Bulk is an issue. Length is a bigger issue. But the main reason is that OUTSIDE my house I can't whip a gun out and use the splash off the WML. I will have to deploy my flashlight first to identify a threat before I even draw. (Or will already have it deployed if walking the dog or in a sketchy area) and studies show we are not likely to drop the light in our hand, already shining on the threat. So I carry a good flashlight and practice with it, although not as much as I should!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top