JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HD gun: such as carbine or large handgun should have a light.

"But I don't want to muzzle sweep everything"

well then buy a modern 1000+ lumen light and get some training on using it properly. Modern WML have enough splash to illuminate a thread without shining it directly at them.

CCW:

Personally I don't have a light on my CCW gun. Bulk is an issue. Length is a bigger issue. But the main reason is that OUTSIDE my house I can't whip a gun out and use the splash off the WML. I will have to deploy my flashlight first to identify a threat before I even draw. (Or will already have it deployed if walking the dog or in a sketchy area) and studies show we are not likely to drop the light in our hand, already shining on the threat. So I carry a good flashlight and practice with it, although not as much as I should!

Exactly. Muzzle discipline doesn't go out the window because you have a light on your gun. If anything, its an easy to see reminder of where your muzzle is pointed.

Search with a handheld, challenge and coerce with a weapon light, use freed-up hand to call for help/reload/retain your gun.

Its not a question of whether I have a light on my gun, its which light do I have on my gun? My Duty/HD/SHTF guns have more powerful and larger lights. It makes them harder to ccw. I wouldn't necessarily get a smaller gun to ccw, but maybe a smaller light. I will say, I hate small lights. The controls are often more difficult to manipulate and the light not as bright. But, its better than nothing.

As far as holsters, there are a schitload of production kydex holsters made for the popular guns with popular lights. Custom makers can take care of the rest.

C94DE774-1633-4430-8D0A-152F02A48C01.jpeg

I always have a light on me but my EDC guns do not currently have lights.

If you're thinking of putting a light on yours, make absolutely sure you can find a holster maker for whatever combination you're thinking of. :)

Nope. No flashlights, no lazer, no bayonette, no grenade launcher. Make it too cumbersome and it's easy to make excuses to not carry it.

Sure, I wouldn't EDC 45 oz pistol like a 1911 with a light, but a loaded Glock 17 with a Surefire X300 probably doesn't weigh 35 oz. My Glock 19 with a Surefire XC1, loaded, is maybe 31 oz. Those are pretty manageable and not nearly as small as other options.

Last Edited:
If you're thinking of putting a light on yours, make absolutely sure you can find a holster maker for whatever combination you're thinking of. :)

Great advice; for me Crossbreed holsters has been able to supply holsters for various combinations over the last few years. Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

I like Surefire mounts on my riot guns but not a big fan of lights on my pistols.
Lights tend to say "Here I am!"
It's practically unavoidable with a long gun, but one needs to positively identify one's target.
With a handgun, using a light in your support hand lets you use it without it necessarily being an aiming point centered on your face.

I like Surefire mounts on my riot guns but not a big fan of lights on my pistols.
Lights tend to say "Here I am!"
It's practically unavoidable with a long gun, but one needs to positively identify one's target.
With a handgun, using a light in your support hand lets you use it without it necessarily being an aiming point centered on your face.

Ok. Call for help. Retain your gun. Reload or clear a malfunction. All of those things require the use of two hands. You're going to likely have to give up something and I hope its not the gun. Now you're blind. Having 600+ lumens attached to the gun does a great job of masking what you're doing and is a failsafe.

Nothing says "here I am" like cooking off a round. The light just helps you make sure the round doesn't have "to whom it may concern" on it.

It is so damn hard to find a holster which will conceal a light on a pistol other than a OWB cop rig.

Much depends on the combination of gun/light that you are carrying. If you're carrying a Glock 19 with a Surefire x300 variant on it...or perhaps a TLR1...you can find tons of IWB holsters. But your options tend to dwindle as you move away from these combinations.

It kinda makes sense when you think about it. There are now tons of weapon lights on the market. There's no way companies can cover all of them. It just isn't financially practical for them. So they tend to cover the most popular ones.

Well, I used to be a heavy equipment mechanic and loved those headband mounted LED lights, goes wherever you look... I thought about putting one next to my carry gun when I went to bed at night... for about a half second, LOL! I need a small drone with lights and laser that hovers off to one side of me and follows my head movements....

I keep a few white light sticks in my night stand drawer. I have a black shirt so I might want break the light stick using the black shirt to hide the light and then throw it in the room that a BG is in...Depends on the situation and if I have time.

I have TLR-s1 and Fenix flashlight. Use the Fenix first since I don't want to turn the flashlight on and make myself a target.

I do. I carry a Glock 19 and use a CMR-204 Rail Master Pro laser / light combo. I don't use the laser much, but the light is sufficient given its small size and conceal ability. I really like the setup.

CMR-205 Rail Master Pro Green Laser Sight | Official Crimson Trace

View attachment 266633

+1 on the CMR-204.

I recently decided to have one on my edc gun, after I started thinking about how very dark it gets inside a building when the lights go out. If you've ever been inside a ship, with no lights on, you know what "pitch black" means. I'm guessing those little shops in the mall are pretty dark when the lights go out.

Nowadays, almost everyone has a smartphone with a light in it, so even if a building's power fails there will probably be lots of flashlights and cellphones shining. Still, having a light/laser on my edc seems prudent.

Swaprig Holsters is a good place to look for holsters.

SwapRig Holsters IWB & OWB Holsters

3.8" XDM .45
0CC68B6D-8EE5-4F1A-88E9-90015086ED58.jpeg

Ok. Call for help. Get to cover, place call
Retain your gun. Reload or clear a malfunction. Easily done which a flashlight in your off hand,
Just:
A: Don't use a giant Maglite

And
B: Practice the skill sets

All of those things require the use of two hands.
True
You're going to likely have to give up something Not at all necessary in most cases, but if necessary, pocket or drop the flashlight

and I hope its not the gun Me too!

. Now you're blind. Why? Having 600+ lumens attached to the gun does a great job of masking what you're doing and is a failsafe. It does a great job of showing where you are and where a likely place to aim is. It only blinds me if I'm looking into the light. Otherwise, it's a beacon to the world telling where you are

Nothing says "here I am" like cooking off a round. Boy howdy, that's true! The light just helps you make sure the round doesn't have "to whom it may concern" on it.
My comments in bold.

My comments in bold.

If you are at the point of having someone at gunpoint, you probably don't want to give that up. If you only have a handheld, its going to be tricky to keep the light and do anything. Unless you keep several lights on you, you're likely going to lose the one you have in a real situation. I carry three handhelds on duty, not including my WML. You're blind if you lose a light and its all you have. Now you're in deep doo-doo.

When it comes time to light the guy up with a WML, I don't care if he knows where I'm at. He knows he is at gunpoint. A defensive situation isn't the same as being at war and everyone has NVGs on. Any light you use will broadcast your location anyway.

There are plenty of advantages to having a light on your gun. I don't search with mine. I use a handheld. But, when it comes time to challenge someone, the light is on. It gives me a perfect outline of my sights and is focused enough that it acts as a means to aim when at the ranges you'd find indoors.

Not on my carry gun but I have a few that can be put on different guns.
Glock 22 with a happy stick .
My go to for late night visitors.
I have one for my Glock 19 X also.
And another member here gave me a thing.
So I can put a light on my 870 but I need to buy a light for it MVIMG_20180331_162518.jpg MVIMG_20180407_130822.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews