JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
legally concealed weapon if they ask for it during a traffic stop in WA?
Another thread actually spurred the thought of if they ask (when they run a license check) and ask.
Am I legally bound to hand it over to the officer? I do not trust them with theirs and damn sure not with mine!!!!

If this has been beat with a dead horse please direct me to the murder scene please...

I have a few friends that are LEO's and have asked them the same question. The responses I've gotten back, mind you this is in Conservative Central Oregon, is that they appreciate you handing your DL along with your CCW when you give them your paperwork. That's the signal that you are probably carrying a weapon on your person legally. This simple procedure also lets the officer know you are a responsible citizen, not a threat. From what I was told, they said that 99% of the time they do not want to see your weapon during the stop if the above procedure is followed.
I'm pretty sure this varies from jurisdiction and state...I'm just relaying what I have been told.

A lot of little things can really help you in a traffic stop. If it's dark, turn on the interior light. Don't move around looking for your paperwork. Keep your hands visible. Tell your passengers to sit still. If it escalates into a felony stop, guns and get out of the vehicle and you know you didn't do anything, cooperate, do what your told and usually it'll work out. I had a friend and his wife who ended up on the pavement with shotguns at their heads because of the blue car they were driving and a recent robbery in the area. They had been in the hospital all night with a sick kid and were just in the wrong place. LE makes mistakes, it's a tough job, I wouldn't want to do it, so use your head. I always immediately notify the officer that I'm armed. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. My mom taught me that. :)

I think legally, yes, a LEO can ask you to temporarily give them any weapons you may have on you during a traffic stop, for "safety" reasons - their safety, and I recognize, having formerly been a LEO myself (decades ago) that it is a thankless dangerous necessary job, so I cooperate.

But personally, no, I don't tell them I am armed, have guns anywhere, or hand them my permit. They will know I have a permit before they talk to me - the fact is they will check me out before they get out of their car via a computer.

I won't lie to them either - if they ask if I had a firearm and I do then I will tell them and follow their directions. But I am not a threat to them and I don't see the need to bring it up.

Also, just because I have may have a CWP doesn't mean that I am carrying. In fact, I rarely carry a gun, concealed or not.

Beyond that, yes, I second the recommendation that you turn on an interior light if it is dark, put your hands on the steering wheel or otherwise in view, and remain still until directed to do otherwise. Traffic stops are dangerous for them, when make it any more difficult or dangerous?

Do not tell them you have a weapon. None of their business. Your concealed weapon permit is not a "concealed from everyone except the police" permit. It is a concealed weapon permit that allows you to conceal from everyone, including the police. In fact, I would argue that the permit is particularly useful and applicable to concealing the weapon from the police, since they are the ones who are most likely to react negatively to a person being armed. You've paid the price ($$, privacy invasion, etc) to get the permit, so use it.

BTW: "Concealed" also means you don't have to tell them. You are allowed to "conceal" this information.

Possible scenario:

OFFICER: "Do you have any weapons?"
DRIVER: "I have a concealed weapon permit, would you like to see it?"

DRIVER: "That information is concealed, as allowed by my permit. Do you want to see the permit?"

OFFICER: "For my safety, I would like to know if you have any weapons."
DRIVER: "I have a permit that allows weapons to be concealed, would you like to see the permit?"

Another thread actually spurred the thought of if they ask (when they run a license check) and ask.

Am I legally bound to hand it over to the officer? I do not trust them with theirs and damn sure not with mine!!!!

If this has been beat with a dead horse please direct me to the murder scene please...

There is no duty to inform a law officer in Washington State that you have a CPL and you are carrying. But as other have said, keep your hands on the steering wheel and at night turn the cabin light on in your vehicle.

I know in other states you may have to inform the LEO that you are carrying.

Do not tell them you have a weapon. None of their business. Your concealed weapon permit is not a "concealed from everyone except the police" permit. It is a concealed weapon permit that allows you to conceal from everyone, including the police. In fact, I would argue that the permit is particularly useful and applicable to concealing the weapon from the police, since they are the ones who are most likely to react negatively to a person being armed. You've paid the price ($$, privacy invasion, etc) to get the permit, so use it.

BTW: "Concealed" also means you don't have to tell them. You are allowed to "conceal" this information.

Possible scenario:

DRIVER: "That information is concealed, as allowed by my permit. Do you want to see the permit?"

DRIVER: "I have a permit that allows weapons to be concealed, would you like to see the permit?"

Why don't you finish the rest of the conversation. You'll be adding officer ll-lll and llll I'm thinking. Be sure and put a time frame on the conversation also. I'd guess 30 minutes, or morer. You may even be pulling gravel from your forehead. Hell, you and a lawyer may even end up making some money off it if you play it right!

Why do people want to mess with the men with a dangerous job?

Me? I'll be happy to have a nice chat with the office after following his direction.

Mike

Why don't you finish the rest of the conversation. You'll be adding officer ll-lll and llll I'm thinking. Be sure and put a time frame on the conversation also. I'd guess 30 minutes, or morer. You may even be pulling gravel from your forehead. Hell, you and a lawyer may even end up making some money off it if you play it right!

Why do people want to mess with the men with a dangerous job?

Me? I'll be happy to have a nice chat with the office after following his direction.

Mike

Because it is none of their bubbleguming business.

...I'd guess 30 minutes, or morer...

1st "morer" is not a word. Furthermore, the reason why we "want to mess with men with a dangerous job" is, well, let me stop right there, we don't, but we must because it is none of their business. Police all over the country will pull over millions of people a year yet last year only 33 officers in the whole country died of gunfire. This of course does not include officers that were shot and lived but it shows that the average citizen is not a threat. They have no reason to believe that we as weapon holders intend to do harm. In fact if we have a permit they should have reason to believe that we intend not to do harm. It is as simple as that. If I have to be sarcastic to keep this state from becoming a Gastopo state then yes, I will respond with a sarcastic remark every time.

I originally said "if they ask for it" meaning that they already knew I had a CPL.
Not a lot of chatter from the WA guys, figured that would be most confident info.

I have been wondering the exact thing that you asked. Couldn't find much from WA. I asked a LEO and was told that concealed is concealed. They "can" remove it from your persons if they feel threatened. To feel threatened they have to be pulling you over for a crime that warrants disarming you. Robbery suspect/description of you/your vehicle; Driving/acting erratically; etc. Speeding, lane change without signaling, taillight/headlight out not so much.

I keep my Oregon permit paperclipped to my DL (ditto with my Utah permit when traveling.) Yes, the info shows on their computer. No, I don't HAVE to offer the permit, or info that I have one. I do it out of respect for the officer doing the job. (haters, this your chance to pounce!). On two recent interactions with LE, one disarmed me, unloaded my weapon and returned it cordially. The other asked where it was...on my left hip with my wallet in my left pocket. She simply observed carefully as I withdrew my wallet and eventually sent me on my way with a verbal warning. 41Slinger suggested the Golden Rule, and I agree wholeheartedly. But then, this is simply my opinion, and if there is one thing I have learned in this forum, "Opinions Vary".

Do what you're comfortable with. Should you want to flex your rights, find out exactly what the law states and also seek council from an attorney so you know you're acting lawful. Be prepared for the officer to be ill-informed and be patient with him/her and as already said, be prepared for it to take some time.

I'm pretty sure that they know I have a CWP by the time they get to my window.

It's not a CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit) it's a CPL (Concealed Pistol Permit). It covers only handguns, not knives or any other weapons.

In WA there is no legal requirement to inform. If stopped and asked if I have a weapon I will tell them, otherwise no.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Possible scenario:

Don't play games with a LEO.

You will wind up in handcuffs.

You might think this is funny, you might think you are being smart, but they are in a position of authority when they encounter you, and if you start playing games like this it will only piss them off and nothing good will come of it.

Trust me on this.

It doesn't matter to me how many times this comes up. The last thread was very long anyway.
One of the things I remember was someone stated their friend fought having to hand over his gun in court and lost. Court said it was officers discretion?,I believe
Nobody came up with a law on the books or an actual court case that I saw (someone with strong googlefoo find this?)
But nowhere in the WA laws does it say you must hand over your weapon OR your carry permit,as far as that goes.
Some in the thread stated the LEO knew before he reached the car that the driver had a CCP.

It's not a CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit) it's a CPL (Concealed Pistol Permit). It covers only handguns, not knives or any other weapons.

In WA there is no legal requirement to inform. If stopped and asked if I have a weapon I will tell them, otherwise no.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Children,why do we have to argue semantics when we all know what is meant?
It really doesn't make you look any smarter

There is no duty to inform a law officer in Washington State that you have a CPL and you are carrying. But as other have said, keep your hands on the steering wheel and at night turn the cabin light on in your vehicle.

I know in other states you may have to inform the LEO that you are carrying.

I almost jumped down your throat about this, saying that if you're asked you must answer...but that is not the case.

THIS site recommends lying if you are legally carrying a firearm. If they do search and find it then I guess you would just say "oh, I forgot about that."

However, in my all my experiences with LEOs, as long as you are respectable, courteous and honest they will show you the same. I was recently pulled over in Oregon for speeding and had a loaded firearm in the car with no Oregon permit. After searching it, unloading it and lecturing me- they let me go with warnings on all accounts.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews