JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To Heratic: With all my all, I don't think the trampling of my rights is a "game", nor do I think it is "funny." But if you really think 33 officer deaths nation wide is a reason for an officer to disarm you then this country is lost and we might as well register and have to petition when we buy ammo. Simply, me having a gun, does NOT constitute reasonable suspension that I will cause a crime. Imagine 40 years down the road if we allow this to be the standard. In 40 years I'm willing to bet there will be a shift in the "gun rights" beliefs of this nation. Do you really want an officer to legally be able to assume you a criminal simply because you are partaking in a right? It's disturbing. Imagine if this was applied as liberally as 1A is today. Comparing the two you know the perception of what is a right and what is a privilege is changing.

Let us all remember, I don't wish to be a bother but treat me like a human being (with rights) and I will treat you like a human being. My rights are my own. If I must be thrown in cuffs for others to see that... well, so be it.

Last Edited:
To Heratic: With all my all, I don't think the trampling of my rights is a "game", nor do I think it is "funny." But if you really think 33 officer deaths nation wide is a reason for an officer to disarm you then this country is lost and we might as well register and have to petition when we buy ammo. Simply, me having a gun, does NOT constitute reasonable suspension that I will cause a crime. Imagine 40 years down the road if we allow this to be the standard. In 40 years I'm willing to bet there will be a shift in the "gun rights" beliefs of this nation. Do you really want an officer to legally be able to assume you a criminal simply because you are partaking in a right? It's disturbing. Imagine if this was applied as liberally as 1A is today. Comparing the two you know the perception of what is a right and what is a privilege is changing.

Let us all remember, I don't wish to be a bother but treat me like a human being (with rights) and I will treat you like a human being. My rights are my own. If I must be thrown in cuffs for others to see that... well, so be it.

The officer won't think it is a game or funny either, but he/she will think you are trying to mess with them if you use those kinds of answers - i.e., that you are trying to evade their questions.

This "game" (i.e., a strategy or tactic) will not get you where you want to go; it will result in the LEO becoming suspicious and possibly angry or at least frustrated. You can bet at that point that the encounter will go downhill from there. Evading their questions so obviously will give them, at least in their minds, probable cause to investigate further - most likely resulting in you spending a long time sitting in the back of a cop car, handcuffed, while multiple LEOs tear apart your car looking for anything they can nail you with. They will probably get a drug dog involved too to further justify their searches, and drug dogs will usually alert on almost anything, or the LEO can say they alerted (in court, this becomes your word against theirs, and guess who the judge is going to believe?).

I do take my rights very seriously, but I also don't play these "games" with LEOs. I have no pretension about how the real world works - I have certain rights, but at this point in time the laws does not recognize or protect them very well, and I know that in an encounter with a LEO the law and authority is in their favor. I do not wish to spend hours handcuffed and then possibly days in jail, and then months in court, and thousands of dollars to pretend to prove some point about my rights when it really doesn't work that way at all when it comes out of the wash.

But you have your fun if that is how you get your jollies and think that it somehow does something to protect your rights. I take leave to disagree on this subject.

I think some here are missing one of the most valuable advantages to a permit-- The last time I was stopped, and should have gotten a ticket, the officer says "I see by your chl that you are one of the good guys, keep it down and have a nice day." Now I know that this doesn't happen all the time, but why not give it a chance. Why piss him off and guarantee a ticket? Attitude is the most important thin in a stop, if yours is good, most likely his will be, too.

What is really, really great, is that you are free to do as you please when/if you get to interact with a LEO!....Just as I have a right to NOT go back and correct typos in my post.....Both things may seem foolish or dumb.

I've got to say though, after watching the video, having a LEO insist on holding your gun after confirming you're permitted to have it seem like a power trip thing. Unless he's been curious about that particular fire arm and just wants to fondle it!

Mike

I'll just chime in with the statement that I have carried a firearm legally in 3 states and have never been asked to hand my weapon over during a traffic stop or any interaction with an LEO.

I've got to say though, after watching the video, having a LEO insist on holding your gun after confirming you're permitted to have it seem like a power trip thing. Unless he's been curious about that particular fire arm and just wants to fondle it!

Mike

This is something they are more or less trained to do in general and it isn't specific to firearms either.

Never been pulled over since I started carrying, but if I did I'd hand license, ins, reg, cpl

sent from a typewriter not a samsung galaxy s3.

But you have your fun if that is how you get your jollies

Let me assure you I'm just as serious as you are about it. It's not about "jolly getting." How is not divulging information that you need not a "game?" Your argument doesn't even have the legal high ground. It is unreasonable to search for or seize a gun from a person who has paid money to the state, been finger printed, waited, and tested regarding firearms when you don't have any primary argument that the person is criminal out side of "he has a gun."

All I'm saying is that 9 times out of 10 an officer is not going to disarm you. But again, I'm not a criminal, I don't take kindly to being treated as a criminal. If you treat me like a criminal you receive as much respect as received (not very much if your assuming I'm a criminal). Allow this abuse to continue and you will regret it, I guarantee it. Because there is always going to a person in power that is willing to abuse it. I just wish to go about my business without being molested.

Last Edited:
Just as I have a right to NOT go back and correct typos in my post...

*whines like a child* "But 'morer' is not a word." :winkkiss:

having a LEO insist on holding your gun after confirming you're permitted to have it seem like a power trip thing

On a more serious note, this is exactly what I'm saying. If an officer assumes anyone and everyone is out to get him he is jaded and really, really needs to be removed from the position before he does something that is an over reaction or that could potentially cost the state money. I'm not out looking to fight an officer, in fact I look to not fight with an officer just not at the expense of my rights provided by the constitution (your right to not correct typos could not be found anywhere in the Bill of Rights. :winkkiss: )

Also, my Walther P99 has no safety. I don't want anyone to handle it that is not familiar with it even if it was outside of a heightened unconstitutional situation. I don't need a cop crossing my muzzle over my body as you can clearly see in this video at the 2:59 second mark.

Way down here in Jackson County they know ,as soon as they run your plate, whether you have a CC license or not before they even approach your window.
I have been with the same friend when he has been pulled over three times lol, only once they asked “where is your CC handgun at this time” but didn’t want it, the other two said they knew he had it but never asked for it
In the class I took for the prerequisite of the license issue the instructor reaffirmed that they know as soon as the plate is ran and it is not necessary to inform them you have it, he went on to say they prefer if you don’t mention it at all and if they inquire then to cooperate with them

The one time I was pulled over since my issue , he didn't inquire and I didn't inform

I live on a shared driveway, mine being at the top of the mountain, at the end. As my wife and I returned from our weekend grocery trip, I found the driveway blocked by a half dozen sheriff vehicles, DEA and a SWAT team. I was armed, as usual. A lieutenant approached the car and motioned me to exit. I identified who we were and I stated I had a legal concealed weapon. He asked me to assume the position, located, removed, unloaded the weapon and placed it on the hood of my car.

Turns out my neighbor rented his place to an aspiring drug dealer, and we had stumbled into a raid. Now, at that point, I suppose I could have refused instructions, bristled at his presence, yada yada yada. If I was a camera buff I suppose it would have made interesting You Tube viewing.
But it was a bunch of LEO's on serious business, and I treated the situation as I saw fit. My J frame was no match for M-4's and breaching shotguns.

Y'all can do what you want. I chose this route. Good luck to the civil disobedience thing. Sure, its your right, I get that. Just plan to sit on the curb in cuffs for a while until they feel like releasing you. And that would be the optimum outcome.

This was just posted HERE Relevant? I think so. My favorite like from the arresting Gastopo "you got to understand... in today's climate with terrorism" The cop just drew on the guy from across the road. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Common sense. Kept my face out of the dirt.

All I see here is willingness to give up a right so those that would do unjustice doesn't get you dirty. Least ways that's how I see it. I don't respect you any less for that decision but I'll be a monkey's uncle if someone is going to demean me for my decision to not stand for that crap.

To answer the original question, yes, they are allowed to take your gun if they want to (for their safety is the given reasoning). Wether or not they should be able to, or how they found out you had it is another question.

If it is an official contact (traffic stop, etc.) and you are being detained, you should follow instructions (orders) for the most part, and then hire a good lawyer afterwards if something illegal goes down. Recording the interaction can be usefull for these purposes. If they are not arresting you, they have to give it back when they leave. Most likely you will get the gun, and then a handfull of ammunition.

20140110_212308.jpg
I'll just chime in with the statement that I have carried a firearm legally in 3 states and have never been asked to hand my weapon over during a traffic stop or any interaction with an LEO.

I'll just bet that you look like any clean cut self respecting member of society.
I on the other hand look like I just came out of a duck blind with Phil, Willie and Jase.... A Capt. Red beard, if ya will and I just wonder if, when stopped, if they will think I'm a tweeker and batten the hatches with me... I guess I'll just have to take my chances...
Thanks for all the feedback fellas.

20140110_212308.jpg

Last Edited:
I'll just bet that you look like any clean cut self respecting member of society.
I on the other hand look like I just came out of a duck blind with Phil, Willie and Jase.... A Capt. Red beard, if ya will and I just wonder if, when stopped, if they will think I'm a tweeker and batten the hatches with me... I guess I'll just have to take my chances...
Thanks for all the feedback fellas.

Ha,ha...you may have a point Caveman.....My wife says I look like Vin Diesels younger brother, so does that give you a mental picture?

PS- I love being in the duck blind brother!

I've been pulled over twice over the years carrying and with other guns in the car handthem my license and told them i have a cwp and i have a firearm on me. They just asked where it was, I told them and they just told me not to reach for it or make any movement towards it. Checked my id, and that was it. Didn't even get a ticket either time!

I've never had a bad experience with them as long as you show respect for their safety and the law.
It's when you act in defiance or defensive they go on high alert. Not mad at you but in defense for their own safety.
It's common sense really. Put their mind at ease and show your a "good guy" and you care as much for their safety as you do your own and you get treated well.

I have only been pulled over once in the last 20 years. I made an illegal U turn. Yep, my bad. Female Tigard officer. I handed her my CHL with my DL. She handed back my CHL and said, "I don't need this unless you plan on pulling it out." I responded, "no ma'am, I won't be doing that. Left with a warning and no ticket. I support LEO and treat them with respect.

Common sense. Kept my face out of the dirt.

really all you did was add to the situation that they were already dealing with. You were doing nothing wrong, not like they were going to search you for living on that road. You did all you needed to do by stating who you were and you reside up that road, maybe show some ID to prove residency on the road. You were well in your rights CCing and in no way did they need to be made aware of it. You created a small incident within an incident by mentioning you were armed in an already tense and stressful situation

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top