JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The technical hurtle regarding barrels, are likely to be overcome with the Electro chemical machining, but the bolt carrier and bolt still remain in terms of technical challange. Too my knowledge the "great democratization of CNC machines" has yet to create sub 5000 dollar one capable of milling out an ar15 upper and bolt assembly. Perhaps future Carbon fiber 3D printing will allow the creation of non metal pressure bearing elements capable of withstanding the forces involved in semi-auto fire.

Not holding my breath on any sort of plastic 3D printing replacing steel on stressed parts. While CNC is nice, most guns have been and still can be made on manual machines in a small shop environment.
While the ECM rifling process in the video is interesting, button rifling seems easier and more likely to make a smooth finish. I've done it on .22 cal barrels and would like to play a bit with something larger.

The most hilarious part of this, is that when the State Department shut down his admittedly fragile single shot (per barrel) Liberator files, he developed a milling machine which completes aluminum 80% lowers (AR15 and 1911) and sold thousands of them in order to fund the lawsuit. Unintended consequences.

HA HA. That is hilarious!
And maybe Karma.....?

Not holding my breath on any sort of plastic 3D printing replacing steel on stressed parts. While CNC is nice, most guns have been and still can be made on manual machines in a small shop environment.
While the ECM rifling process in the video is interesting, button rifling seems easier and more likely to make a smooth finish. I've done it on .22 cal barrels and would like to play a bit with something larger.

I assume you are referring to taking an unrifled blank, then using a 10 ton or so press to push a rifle button through the barrel?

ECM is actually used by S&W in there revolver lineup, apparently to reasonable effect. As well as nowlin bull barrels...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top