JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Otter,
Yes I do. In fact until I stopped chasing grains, I was spending a TON of time chasing MOA at 1,000 yards. The issue is consistency. People who talk charging volume, but say grains or a weight, are NOT loading by volume; they are using a fast version of weight.
Remember how long powder (extruded in particular) has been around, and WHO designs and builds it. There is NO manufacturer of smokeless who builds for the handloader. The manu's are defense contractors and Gov't entities, who build and design powder for volume charges. The rub has been the aftermarket business hasn't chased volume devices worth poop. AFAIK Lee is the only one with a volume measure that has specific calibrated units. The rest I've seen just have random arbitrary hash marks. The next problem is that scales are dirt cheap, and have been around since the dinosaurs. Richard Lee's modern reloading Col. 2 page 87, with info from Bob Hodgdon on pg. 88

BoonDocks36,
DeadHas you steered on the correct path, the allowable variance is rather large. There is also an allowance for build material. You don't have to ONLY use a very specific metallurgy for the cases. Like brass valves in the domestic water world. They are spec's to be lead-free. Grab a "standard" 1/4-turn valve of the same size and spec, weight noticeably different than the lead free version.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top