JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive just gotten into reloading, purchased a set, given walkthroughs by experienced loaders, read the nosler book ect. Went out to buy dies and there are sold out all over online? Just got into this field so I don't know any past history. Has there been a reloading craze? Like I myself decided to give it a go to save a few cents and get more enjoyment ouf of firearms.

What dies/calibers are you looking for? Guys sell them here and there's no law doing a shout out in the reloading classifieds either probably.

Looking to get .357, .223, and .308 in carbide dies. That is a Idea thanks! Just cabelas/midway/ and other various sights are out of the $50 RCBS carbide sets. Everyone is out of stock. Theres a couple used sets on ebay up in the $70s! Didn't know what was going on...

Oh, yes, jump into reloading with the same cartridges everyone is trying to reload for.
Things have been tight since O's re-election and the gun control hoohaw. If you missed it, I guess you were lucky.
Your best bets are to check all internet sources, your local gun stores, and any gun shows--or what for the insanity to die down and buy at a "normal" price.
PS: they're, and in "they are," and not there or their. I am pedantic, so excuse me.

I've seen dies in all the stores that carry them regularly... same price as in nov. last year...

cabelas, sportsmanswarehouse and some smaller shops...

all depends on where you live.. the internet will always be out of stock as everybody wants to buy there...

Carbide dies in .223 and .308? not likely the only dies I know of that have a carbide sizing ring are straight wall cases like pistol and .30M1 carbine. Tapered cases can't make use of a carbide sizing ring since the case wall diameter changes down its length.

True.. dies for bottleneck cartridges such as the 30-06 are only made in steel, no carbide sizing ring. Some manufactures might give them a coating of this or that though.
I'd probably run down to or call Sportsman's also. It's pretty surprising what they have.. if memory serves, I think they carry Lee and RCBS.

True.. dies for bottleneck cartridges such as the 30-06 are only made in steel, no carbide sizing ring. Some manufactures might give them a coating of this or that though.
I'd probably run down to or call Sportsman's also. It's pretty surprising what they have.. if memory serves, I think they carry Lee and RCBS.

There are definitely CARBIDE DIES sold for bottleneck rifle cases. Mostly in the .223 or .308 calibers. They make them out of carbide, not to eliminate the need for lube (which you HAVE to use in them) but to reduce the wear associated with the volume loading many do with these high volume cartridges. If you're loading for a bolt action, that hardened steel die might serve you well for a couple of generations. If you're a competitor, loading for an AR-15, AR-10, M-1A, then many use the Carbide dies which resist scratching and wear far better. Lots of money but when you load 10-12K rounds per year--------or more.

BTW, I was at the local Cabela's day before yesterday and there were dies on the shelf for each of the calibers mentioned by the OP. They're out there.

As has been said, check Sportsman's Warehouse. Also little mom and pop gun shops. Ole's in Salem had a whole load of different used dies when I checked yesterday for $5 each. I picked up a set of Hornady Nitride dies for .45ACP at Sportsman's in Salem just a few weeks ago. They had all sorts of different rifle dies when I was there yesterday.

There are definitely CARBIDE DIES sold for bottleneck rifle cases. Mostly in the .223 or .308 calibers. They make them out of carbide, not to eliminate the need for lube (which you HAVE to use in them) but to reduce the wear associated with the volume loading many do with these high volume cartridges. If you're loading for a bolt action, that hardened steel die might serve you well for a couple of generations. If you're a competitor, loading for an AR-15, AR-10, M-1A, then many use the Carbide dies which resist scratching and wear far better. Lots of money but when you load 10-12K rounds per year--------or more.

BTW, I was at the local Cabela's day before yesterday and there were dies on the shelf for each of the calibers mentioned by the OP. They're out there.
Are you talking about the expander button or a carbide ring? As you can see, I was talking about the sizing ring, not the/a button. just so you know

Dillon is the only company I know of that makes carbide dies for rifle (.223/..308 only) and they are about 160 a set as i recall. They are more suited for commercial loaders as a hobbyist is very unlikely to wear out a set of steel dies in one lifetime.

Dillon is the only company I know of that makes carbide dies for rifle (.223/..308 only) and they are about 160 a set as i recall. They are more suited for commercial loaders as a hobbyist is very unlikely to wear out a set of steel dies in one lifetime.
Lyman etc. have what they call carbide die sets for bottleneck cartridges.
Do they have a carbide ring or just an expander ball?
Here's some text from Dillon..

".The depriming assembly includes a carbide expander ball for "squeak-free," effortless neck expansion. This expander ball is located in the middle of the depriming stem to take advantage of superior initial leverage for easier extraction..".

https://www.dillonprecision.com/

If you have a set you could perhaps lay eyeball upon it to see if it has a carbide ring.

A steel expander button must cost like $2 since a good die (Lee), including the expander stem, button etc. costs like $15.

I kind of stand corrected

RCBS
LEE
Redding
Lyman

Do not make that I can find offered a "Carbide Die Set" in .223

Lyman makes a set in .223 Rem and .308 Win that has included a carbide expander button and a Neck sizer that also has a carbide expander button. But no carbide sizing die.

As to Dillon they do offer sets with carbide sizing dies. in .223 Rem and .308 Win Their web site shows them as being $152

Since I have never considered Dillon Dies for use with my reloading equipment I missed them offering the Carbide die sets. I stand corrected.

If you have the $$$ Carbide dies are nice but not necessary. I vibrate clean my cases with an ammonia free polish added to the media and I lube all my cases with even the pistol cases run through carbide spray lube because it is smoother.

.357 mag dies are available as .38 Special dies. And, they are all over the place.

As for a carbide set in .223 and .308.........I have only seen Dillion carry the F/L sizer. As for availability.......ask them. That being said, they are expensive and you still have to lube the cases. Me.........I've never felt the need for them as a home reloader.

Aloha, Mark

That being said, they are expensive and you still have to lube the cases. Me.........I've never felt the need for them as a home reloader.

Aloha, Mark

There are not many home reloaders that will have a need for the carbide rifle dies but if you compete, that's another story. A die wears slowly and you may not notice problems right away. When you're loading a thousand rounds or more at a time, one fouled case that leaves grit or brass particles stuck inside can scratch/damage more cases than you want to. Carbide doesn't wear as fast, doesn't allow grit to embed itself, and the dimensions of your sized cases are the same after case number 150,000 as for case number one.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top