JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Released Inmate Shot Dead During Redding, CA Home Invasion

37-year-old Jesse Theis was released early Thursday morning from the Shasta County Jail, and before sun-up Friday, he invaded a Redding, California home. The 66-year-old female homeowner fired warning shots when she heard someone trying to force entry into her home. When the invader tried a short time later to climb into her window, she shot him dead. Theis had been released due to a county prison policy designed to ease over-crowding by requiring the daily release of those inmates prison officials deem low-risk. While police and prosecutors will review the shooting, early indications are that the homeowner will not face charges.

Way to go lady. :s0155:

Makes you wonder about the officials that release these people. Maybe they should be held responsible for the prisoner's actions once back into society, just might make them think twice before setting them free. Don't have enough room in the prisons? Well then, bring back capital punishment and make room. Don't just release these animals back into the general population. At the very least let the people arm themselves, without having to wait ten days, so they can take care of the problem(s) themselves.

Warning, this is almost a trolling reply. I don't mean it that way, I just want to comment.

So, reports like this make me happy and sad.

Happy (well not happy at the loss of life but you know what I mean) because someone was able to defend their self from a would be attacker. Yeah for grandma who basically who correctly defended herself and for the legal system to recognize that fact that you don't have to run away when your life, rights, property are being violated. Excellent!

Sad because our Criminal System is just failing left and right. And no, I do not mean Criminal & Justice System because lately I don't see any Justice, I just see a Criminal system. OK, so this person was released because they were deemed low risk. But released to what? This could be a person who has no other skills, no other training, no other hope or options in life but to turn to what they know and have been trained to do. Yes, yes they could be some scum bag who always made the wrong choice and just wanted their next fix. But the country I want to live in looks at criminals not just as a waste of space but as an opportunity to really rehabilitate and make productive member of society. Doesn't it make more sense to work hard at rehabilitating people into productive tax paying members of society, rather than paying for them to sit in prison?

It just seems that right now the criminal system is designed to only do one thing, make better criminals. Not reform people who made mistakes into productive members of society. Shouldn't we be judged by our ability to make better a citizen and not better a criminal? I mean if the US Senate and House can almost function filled with drunks, drug addicts, cheats and liars can't we teach non-elected people to be as equally as productive? I'm not setting the bar very high here.

No I don't think we need to spend billions reforming guys like Jesse.

We have this thing called free will. She fired warning shots. Do you want to teach him that climbing into a window of an armed homeowner is a bad idea?

He committed suicide by granny.

Theis_Jesse_Edward_t300.jpg

We have this thing called free will. She fired warning shots. Do you want to teach him that climbing into a window of an armed homeowner is a bad idea?
Yes, he was a moron and maybe even a class A scumbag. The question I'm trying to pose, is wouldn't you rather have your tax money spent on trying to reform someone rather than just hold someone in a cell. I agree some (many?) people are beyond recovery. Though if we focused more on first even second offenders and trying to rehabilitate them, maybe it would prove overall cheaper than just tossing them out on their own over and over until they are locked away on our dime forever.

OK, this is one of the funniest things I've read in a while!

Maybe he should have been placed in one of THESE fine rehabilitation centers. The problem is, they are full of inmates on death row because nobody wants capital punishment anymore. They either need to start knocking off the death row folks off or start building even more prisons. They cannot keep releasing dangerous inmates into society without accountability.

She was attacked by the Geico Caveman.

Just think what would have happened to her if she had not been armed? Of course the news will never pursue that angle.

For every convict that does something like this there are many who actually do try to become good citizens. There, I said it.

Maybe he should have been placed in one of THESE fine rehabilitation centers. The problem is, they are full of inmates on death row because nobody wants capital punishment anymore. They either need to start knocking off the death row folks off or start building even more prisons. They cannot keep releasing dangerous inmates into society without accountability.

I have no issue with the death penalty. If someone gets to that point, fine take a hike you are done. The problem I have is that most prisons aren't used to rehabilitate people they are used to store them. Out of sight, out of mind. Well it isn't out of my mind because I know my tax money go to housing them.

I can see both sides, I would just rather try to actually rehabilitate people rather than just store them like animals then expect them to act differently when we put them back in society.

Note Edits were to correct my horrible grammar and spelling!

Yes, he was a moron and maybe even a class A scumbag. The question I'm trying to pose, is wouldn't you rather have your tax money spent on trying to reform someone rather than just hold someone in a cell. I agree some (many?) people are beyond recovery. Though if we focused more on first even second offenders and trying to rehabilitate them, maybe it would prove overall cheaper than just tossing them out on their own over and over until they are locked away on our dime forever.

OK, this is one of the funniest things I've read in a while!

AB SO bubblegumING LUTELY NOT It just doesn't work on the most part.

What we need to do is to stop the welfare system that makes it OK to have babies that you have no intention of caring for.
No reform needed of the criminals,we need to do something about the children with no direction but a crack ho for a mom.
STOP MAKING CRIMINALS
Maybe birth control before you can get chu welfare check. A shot,not the pill.

Or every few years,give the prisons an enema.

what i dont understand is the communist state of california allowed her to shoot him without charges.
nobody should ever be convicted for defending their castle but this is california.
but in oregon you must feel threatened for your life to shoot or leave your home?
is this just because she was a woman or what?i dont understand because i hear of men being charged for defending their property if the guy dont have a weapon of some sort.im always happy to hear the gun owner win the battle but im trying to imagine what would happen if one of us guys shot someone coming through the window as his only offense.

Thing to remember is all the weapons you have in your home.

Non firearm weapons.

Just meander around the house a look at all the thing you wouldn't want to get hit with.
Start with the kitchen.
Did he go to the kitchen?
Oh you didn't see weather he did or not?So you don't know if he is armed or not.
For your own safety and that of your family's ,you must assume he is.

I have knives,bayonets,shovels(outside),hammers,heavy pots and pans,scissors,screw drivers,cords for choking and probably many other implements of death lying around the house.

Most likely she was not charged because its an election year for the local prosecutor and sheriff. The last thing they want is to be voted out of office because of attention focused on poor justice practices.

I worked for Corrections in California for 15 years and last I heard the feds are forcing CA to release somewhere in the neighborhood of 24,000 inmates due to "overcrowding". I'm not saying that the prisons aren't overcrowded, but the funny thing is they are forcing the release of minimum security inmates. There isn't an overcrowding issue in "minimum security". The funny thing is that they will release the inmates as required by the feds and the level 3 and 4 inmates will continue to be just as overcrowded as they were before.

The idea of rehabilitation was being pushed fairly hard and given a ton of lip service by the politicians. It was interesting watching the politicians vote for more rehabilitation measures only to turn around and vote against the funding bill that paid for the programs. There were several "rehabilitation facilities" in the works in CA that were focused on first time offenders - they would be housed in these facilities in/near their home county the last year or so and be given additional job skills training, training on re entering society, even allowed to go to on (supervised) job interviews in the last month or so before parole. Last I heard Governor Moonbeam got back in office and all of the funds that were slated for "new prison projects" were redirected.

Oh - yes inmates in CA at Folsom still make license plates.

I worked for Corrections in California for 15 years and last I heard the feds are forcing CA to release somewhere in the neighborhood of 24,000 inmates due to "overcrowding".

The feds, I am not surprised. Everything the feds do is as screwed-up as humanly possible, with zero accountability. The less they do the better off everyone is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top