JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Negative. No live fire.. Id be opposed to that as age, strength, scenario, firearm and caliber type all come into play and create immense variables that no one can simply standardize in a one size fits all "test" or "qualification".

Just the long class and a mini liability and common sense paper test at the end.
The class I took was decent as they really hammered liability when it came to carrying and popping off rounds, drinking and carrying, what qualified as manslaughter and not genuine self defense... etc.

They noted none of them were lawyers but used past examples, which helped some of the clearly uninformed folks taking the class.

Wife and I took one of the first classes around. As we got our permits in early 91 and while it did include about 2 hours at a makeshift range (one guy used his 1851 Navy Colt reproduction for the shooting LOL) I was involved with the discussions on Vera Kats gun bill which resulted in our ability to get permits if we met the requirements. And no where along in the original Bill or Law was a requirement to live fire.

Mine did. The instructor said it was a minimum Oregon State requirement. He could have been embellishing stuff. Ten, (10) rounds at 15 feet. Big bulls eye target. You had to change magazines at least once. All ten shots had to hit the circle somewhere. This was about in 1988 or soss.

Understand that if one is serious about concealed carry the expense and time of the various refresher courses at various ranges using professional observation or further instruction will cost much more than the handgun and accessories. An ongoing expense. All necessary. Me only.

Equal paragraph lengths impossible but fun to try. Oh my Gawd! My permit expires on my coming up birthday! Forgot entirely about it! Thank you. :)

When we took our concealed carry class in the late 80's there was a live fire component, but whether that was a requirement at the time or just our instructor I don't know.

Last Edited:
Yes, I took the class in about 1995 and we had a range day that was part of the class.

EDIT: I have no idea if it was mandatory at the time but that is what we did.

Last Edited:
When I first got mine there was a range component with load-> unload->make safe requirements. We did shoot a few rounds but it was to show safe handling, control and function. It might have been different back then, I took the class through Lane Community Collage and the instructor was an off duty sheriffs deputy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top