JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have around five million rounds through 75 of my KAC ar15 rifles and I've never cleaned one and I've never had a malfunction that couldn't be explained by aliens. I just microwave a stick of unsalted butter for about 45 seconds and dribble it down the bore every other range trip. Run like sewing machines.

What vital parts of a gun should get the most lube and how much?? I really need to learn how to clean them... everyone has different ways but i feel like i am not doing it right. Anyone have any suggestions of good youtube videos?

Well, I am anal as hell about my gun cleaning. Have no idea if it helps or hinders performance.

After each shooting I do a full take down, scrub with a tooth brush and bore snake, then lube the metal contact points.

Only have one gun that this seems to really matter with and that is a very tightly tuned Browning Hunter Pistol in .22lr. Thing is a tack driver, literally, when clean, but get a few too many rounds down without a good scrubbing and it starts to complain. Others, Glock, Springfield, S&W, they don't seem to give a blanck they shoot the same no matter what.

Oh crap, thought I was talking pistols. Sorry. Wrong forum.

For what it is worth, I clean my rifles after every shooting except sighting in before hunting season. Then I clean my rifle real good, go sight it in (normally only takes three shots). Then do a full take down after hunting and get all the dust and gunk out, over lube everything for storage, and then take it all apart again and wipe it down before shooting. Repeat as necessary.

You guys make me look like I neglect my firearms.

My Glocks get checked for rust, which for some that I've owned for 10+ years have never had any, then they go back in the safe.

Maybe once every 6-7th outing I'll break them down and clean them. Usually Hopps 9 and a snake. Maybe some copper solvent if the snake can't get all the copper out. I usually just swab the frame with some Hopps.

I shoot my Mosins a lot. They get a Windex/water bath each time after shooting. Followed by brake cleaner. Then Remy oil.

ARs get mostly just the uppers cleaned with Hopps and a snake down the bore. I just throw the BCG stripped down in an ultrasonic cleaner followed by Mobile 1 0w30 bath.

The others are usually cleaned and oiled after each use as they don't see much range time. That's mostly the hunting rifles and shotguns.

I spray wipe out down the barre and action then let the gun sit for an hour,run a few patches down the barrel and clean out the crud in the action . I clean about every 500 rounds [with 22lr when the gun is so cruded up it fails to reliably operate] and I don't see much reason to do more. Corrosive primers. properly clean asap. I like the guns well oiled. And clean them when I will not be using them for a while.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top