JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, taking my "new" Mosin Nagant out for the first time later today. Cleaned it all up very well and the bolt cycles pretty smooth BUT, after cycling a round I noticed that there are now dents around the rim of the cartridge. Any ideas what is causing this and if I should be alarmed?

PS the Mosin is a bolt action 7.62x54 rimmed rifle...
Thanks

dents where exactly? like around the rim on the base, where the extractor grabs the shell.....or around the top, where the bullet leaves from, or on the shoulder where the case changes diameter, or????

Did you make sure and check the protrusion with the little tool that should have came with the rifle? i don't think it would have anything to do with the problem you are describing, but since you are taking it out for the first time you should make sure it is set right.

The dents are on the rim on the bottom, upon closer examination the marks are the same size as the extractor hook. I checked the firing pin protrusion before I went out because I read some horror stories. I ran through 12 rounds today without trouble except that I had to really push hard to fully lock the bolt closed. Thing is a cannon compared to my 10/22 :) It shoots about 4 inches low at 50 yards with the bayonette attached. I'll try it without next time.

yeah you may need to clean under the extractor, and maybe fit it a little if it's been replaced but the rusian arsenal refurbs are usually pretty good.

if there is cosmoline or gunk under the extractor it wont move right and will stick out further then it should on the side ....which could cause your sticky bolt and the stiff extractor scratches. (then again, i have had issues using laquered ammo in my m91 which caused the bolt to stick to the point that i couldn't open it without some foot action)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top