Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Deer HLS or Shedding (Molting)? - Education Lesson

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by daiello91, May 5, 2011.

1. daiello91

daiello91 NW Oregon Active Member

Ok, sadly I have been out with buddies all to often and seen deer with HLS and had them say "oh that one must be shedding" or have been on various forums to read the same thing. We need to get people educated, because HLS is a very serious problem and is VERY easily identified. HLS likely causes the death of more deer annually than cougars.

Here is an example of a deer shedding. Things to notice, the deer looks kind of fuzzy like a kitten or kind of scruffy, but notice the deer still are completely covered in hair. :

Here are two examples of deer effected by HLS. Things to notice, a complete absence of hair over a portion of the torso (can also be the hind quarters and legs). The reason the hair is missing is because the mites/lice they are infected with cause an allergic reaction that causes them to itch constantly. The vigorous scratching and biting causes a loss of hair. You'll usually see white or yellow skin where the hair is missing. Generally does and fawns are effected. Rarely you will see a buck infected.

IMG_2151.jpg

Here's more info from WDFW if you care to read more;
    Deer 'Hair Loss Syndrome' Fact Sheet | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

2. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

Hair Loss Syndrome is so common on the North Olympic Peninsula in yearlings that if you see twins at least one will have it. I wonder if a medication could be developed that could be added to salt blocks. It seems to get worse every year. Even though deer are a pain in the rear around the yard I hate seeing them sick all the time.

3. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

3 of the 4 bucks living around my house have it. I'm on the NOP too.

4. daiello91

bump

5. oregonty

oregonty Salem, OR Active Member

quite a few deer around my area in south Salem Oregon have this condition.

6. daiello91

recent pic of HLS yearling.