JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm trying to decide what my next purchase will be. Currently, my only handgun is a Glock 22. I'd like to get something for carry, and I'd also like to get into the 10mm platform, as those ballistics are quite delicious. And I like the Glock format, namely the magazine and accessory options. So the natural response would be to get a G29, Glock's subcompact 10mm. I am getting into reloading (took John's class), so price/availability of ammo will only be a minor factor. I am concerned with the recoil, as I have a hard time with target reacquisition with the .40. I'm also concerned with the size of the G29, compared to the G26 or 27. I do have a 9mm conversion barrel for the G22, so that allows me to partake in that platform as well.

The other option I'm mulling is getting a G26, then selling/trading my G22 for a G20, and getting a .40 conversion barrel for that. I'm already heavily invested in the .40 platform, and it would be another option for SHTF, so I'd like to make that available too, though 10mm would become my primary round in this scenario. I'm really not sure of the knock down power of the 9mm if that ends up as my primary carry tool.

My overall goal is to be able to shoot any of these 3 calibers. Ammo diversity is good. And I'd eventually like to get a pistol caliber carbine as well.

Can anyone comment on the recoil of the G29 compared to that of the G22 or 20? If it's equal to, or only slightly more unruly than the .40, I'll probably go with the G29. Anyone know where I can rent a G29? I'd just really feel better with 10mm at my side, rather than 9mm. With a lighter grain JHP, I would get good expansion without over penetration with massive muzzle energy. I would of course use full power asskicker formula's in my reloading, rather than the FBI Girly Load. Seems as though commercially available 10mm from yesterday was loaded noticeably hotter than today's standard load. Any other comments?

If you have a problem with .40 recoil, you won't like 10mm. I will say if you practice a lot with full power 10mm you will become a lot better with .40, at least that's what I've noticed.

If you have a problem with .40 recoil, you won't like 10mm. I will say if you practice a lot with full power 10mm you will become a lot better with .40, at least that's what I've noticed.

I am with hahns on this one if you dont like the kick of a glock 22 (fullsize) a 29 10mm in compact ought to be a bit much to handle, in the recoil department

Yes, I realized I should make that a little more clear. I'm fine with the snappy recoil of the .40, as far as comfort goes. It's the reacquiring of the target that I'm still slow with. However, when I switch to the 9mm conversion barrel, it feels like a toy and I don't have to reacquire the target, as my whole arm just falls right back to where it was. I suppose the same would happen with the .40 if I cottoned to 10mm.

I like shooting 10mm and I reload it (John Huey got me hooked) on the upper end on the max range. After shooting a lot of 10mm...I really love shooting .40sw! Its (10mm) really improved my accuracy and speed in target re-acquisition. I daily carry a Kahr P40, but my G29 goes on weekend hiking trips. My target guns are the G20sf and a S&W 1076...my fav of the three is the 1076...it just feels better.
dsc21542.jpg
As for G29 vs G20 recoil, its a slight difference...The G29 is very control-able and accurate. After you shoot a lot of 10 hot loads ...you get more comfortable and learn to deal with the recoil...but I like shooting 44 mag too!
As for anything you carry, Train and practice and have fun!

dsc21542.jpg

If you are shooting a 40S&W,you are already shooting the FBI "girly" load.
That's specifically what the 40 was developed for.

The G20 I had was equivalent to my full sized 1911 in the recoil department.
Maybe the 29 would be close to a compact 1911?

Ammo for the 10mm,I was told,is making a resurgence.More loads are coming out I heard.
I could only hope this was true.
Otherwise there isn't much around and most stores only have the Winchester silver tips.
Now for me,traveling to Forks to fish,this isn't bad.

However, when I switch to the 9mm conversion barrel, it feels like a toy and I don't have to reacquire the target, as my whole arm just falls right back to where it was. I suppose the same would happen with the .40 if I cottoned to 10mm.
Exactly :s0155:

And if you reload, the 10mm is great. Not counting brass (which is barely more expensive than .45 brass BTW) it costs me about ~$0.15 a round to reload a full power 10mm load.

Arkitek, I read your review on the G29. You sold me on it. I will make it my next major purchase.

mjbskwim, I know the .40 is the girly load. That's why I want to run full power 10mm, as there wouldn't be much point in going for the FBI load which I already have.

The other advantage of this is that I could just buy a big pile of projectiles that will work with both the .40 and 10.

Why do I want 10mm? YouTube - Glock 20 using Double Tap 135gr Vs. Cows heart and pork ribs as simulated body . BIG OL' HOLES on exit.

The 20 and 29 are the way to go!
You can also shoot 40, 357Sig(357mag performance), and 9x25 Dillon just by swapping barrels! ;)
I'm a LWD dealer, so when you get the gun, I'll hook you up with the barrels ;)

I would of course use full power asskicker formula's in my reloading, rather than the FBI Girly Load. Seems as though commercially available 10mm from yesterday was loaded noticeably hotter than today's standard load.

Just remember not to carry reloaded ammo for self defense.
Totally cool for a hunting sidearm, but frowned on by defense lawyers. ;)

Now, everyone is talking Glock,(I have a G20) but do you have any interest in a different brand?
I"ve owned several, and find the EAA Witness platform, also available in 10mm, to be impressive....as long as it's all steel, not polymer.
The latest version takes interchangable barrels and the ergonomics are outstanding. Prices are very good.
Pick one up and see

In my own personal experience I have found the Glock 29 to be more comfortable to shoot than it's .40S&W companions. I find the recoil of the 10mm to be more of a shove than a slap. It feels more like shooting large bore revolver calibers than it does a snappy semi-auto caliber. It also helps that the G29 fits my hand much better than the full sized Glocks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top