JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My youngest is about to turn 12 and is very excited to go deer hunting. He is VERY small for his age though. My rifles have been with me since I was a kid so I don't even know what to start looking for.

Do they make kid size rifles in a deer caliber? He does great with his little .22 but I don't want to get him something that will knock him flat or he won't be able to hold up.:confused:

I was small for 12 years old and remember hunting with a 300 savage. The recoil was pretty high, but not excessive. I don't remember the draw length being a problem, but if really needed, that can be fixed with a saw...

I THINK it was a 300 savage...

:s0112:

Depends on the rifle. I guess I could trade him for a good one but I don't think his mom will be happy.

He is about 4 1/2' tall but only about 70lbs so I need to find something that won't scare him off.

H&R are making their single shot rifles in models for smaller shooter. Granted they are only single shot but they won't break your wallet and you can stress to your son the importance of making each shot count.

get him a car-15 .223. cause the stock can be set at any length he prefers. plus he will get to enjoy his first BLACK rifle and be the envy of all his friends:winkkiss:

I may have him try my .270 but I think it will be too much for him. That was my first rifle but I was also a lot bigger and older than he is.

When I was a little guy I started off with a single shot .410, cheap enough to where you can rework the stock to match his size, and for a brush gun they're just fine. Recoil with slugs isn't too bad, and if you're working it over anyways you can add a pretty good pad on it.

I think .223 is just fine for deer. I know alot of people that have taken deer with a .223.
You just have to make a good shot. Bottom line, a bullet in an artery will kill no mater the bullet. I think many people like to shoot large caliber so they can miss and still knock the deer down.

I think .223 is just fine for deer. I know alot of people that have taken deer with a .223.
You just have to make a good shot. Bottom line, a bullet in an artery will kill no mater the bullet. I think many people like to shoot large caliber so they can miss and still knock the deer down.

I've read of people who've taken deer with .22, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I think the hunter's moral responsibility for a clean, humane kill outweighs his desire for comfortable recoil. I wouldn't hunt deer with a .223. ~1200 ft lbs at muzzle doesn't give you any margin for error. .243 or even .30-30 is safer.

I've read of people who've taken deer with .22, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I think the hunter's moral responsibility for a clean, humane kill outweighs his desire for comfortable recoil. I wouldn't hunt deer with a .223. ~1200 ft lbs at muzzle doesn't give you any margin for error. .243 or even .30-30 is safer.

I'm with the .243. It is an excellent cartige for women and children. Heck It's an excellent cartrige for anybody. Light recoil and lots of zip!

I also think a .223 is a bit light for deer, even in the hands of a veteran hunter, the rem. 700 youth in .243 or .260 is just about perfect.:s0159:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top