Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Decent deer rifle for a midget?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by kenr74, Nov 12, 2009.

1. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

My youngest is about to turn 12 and is very excited to go deer hunting. He is VERY small for his age though. My rifles have been with me since I was a kid so I don't even know what to start looking for.

Do they make kid size rifles in a deer caliber? He does great with his little .22 but I don't want to get him something that will knock him flat or he won't be able to hold up.:confused:

2. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I was small for 12 years old and remember hunting with a 300 savage. The recoil was pretty high, but not excessive. I don't remember the draw length being a problem, but if really needed, that can be fixed with a saw...

I THINK it was a 300 savage...

3. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

You can get a Rem 700 synthetic youth rifle, in .243win, for around $450.

4. A2theK

A2theK Olympia Member

Dang, I thought you wanted to trade a rifle for a midget.

My Gpa was 4-10 150 lbs and he used a 6.5 Carcano with a cut down stock.

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

6. kenr74

:bluelaugh:

Depends on the rifle. I guess I could trade him for a good one but I don't think his mom will be happy.

He is about 4 1/2' tall but only about 70lbs so I need to find something that won't scare him off.

7. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

H&R are making their single shot rifles in models for smaller shooter. Granted they are only single shot but they won't break your wallet and you can stress to your son the importance of making each shot count.

8. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

You COULD use a 223 remington from H&R. That would have very little recoil. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it would be legal for deer.

9. parallax

parallax eugene, or-gun Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

get him a car-15 .223. cause the stock can be set at any length he prefers. plus he will get to enjoy his first BLACK rifle and be the envy of all his friends:winkkiss:

10. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

AR would not be a bad choice. very little to no recoil with a break

11. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

Is a .223 really appropriate for deer? I think not.

Perhaps a .243 or a .270.

12. kenr74

I may have him try my .270 but I think it will be too much for him. That was my first rifle but I was also a lot bigger and older than he is.

13. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

When I was a little guy I started off with a single shot .410, cheap enough to where you can rework the stock to match his size, and for a brush gun they're just fine. Recoil with slugs isn't too bad, and if you're working it over anyways you can add a pretty good pad on it.

14. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

I think .223 is just fine for deer. I know alot of people that have taken deer with a .223.
    You just have to make a good shot. Bottom line, a bullet in an artery will kill no mater the bullet. I think many people like to shoot large caliber so they can miss and still knock the deer down.

15. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

I've read of people who've taken deer with .22, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I think the hunter's moral responsibility for a clean, humane kill outweighs his desire for comfortable recoil. I wouldn't hunt deer with a .223. ~1200 ft lbs at muzzle doesn't give you any margin for error. .243 or even .30-30 is safer.

16. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

I'm with the .243. It is an excellent cartige for women and children. Heck It's an excellent cartrige for anybody. Light recoil and lots of zip!

17. rl280

rl280 OREGON Member

I also think a .223 is a bit light for deer, even in the hands of a veteran hunter, the rem. 700 youth in .243 or .260 is just about perfect.:twocents:

18. NorthernBornRebel

NorthernBornRebel Keizer Member

We're talking about shooting deer, not woman and children, but I will remember that. I also know you don't have to lead them as far.

19. BrianL

BrianL Hermiston Active Member

How about an nornco sks paratrooper in 7.62x39. Its small, light, and has a low recoil.

20. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot Oregon Member