JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was small for 12 years old and remember hunting with a 300 savage. The recoil was pretty high, but not excessive. I don't remember the draw length being a problem, but if really needed, that can be fixed with a saw...

I THINK it was a 300 savage...

That is what I started with. Very nice first hunting rifle.
Killed many deer with that gun.

I think .223 is just fine for deer. I know alot of people that have taken deer with a .223.
You just have to make a good shot. Bottom line, a bullet in an artery will kill no mater the bullet. I think many people like to shoot large caliber so they can miss and still knock the deer down.

Do you know these people personally?

as you said yes you have to make a good shot and hope its good enough remember the op it talking about a new hunter

as you said yes a bullet in a artery will kill but you have to hit it first and if you don't hit it you have to track a animal that is dying in pain

why not use a rifle that will kill it just with a bullet passing 3 inches to the artery rather than having to hit the artery? suddenly the target has gotten bigger.

its one thing if the only rifle you can aford or can handle is a .223 but i speeking from experience not internet hear say would never recommend it.

i have been hunting on and off since 82 i have a owned several ar15s since 97 i love the ar15 i shoot a average of 1000-2000 rds of 5.56 (.223) per year in all the time i have owned a .223 ar15 i would never hunt big game with it no matter how cool it would be. no i'm not being a fudd i was the first to coin the phrase "If muskets were designed with pistol grips all modern hunting rifles would have pistol grips"

In the hands of a experienced hunter or someone who is just killing off deer that are eating their crops a .223 is fine but its not the correct tool for the job shure you can hammer a nail with a wrench but it would not be as effective as a hammer.

since most of your facts are based on internet here say you'll see most advise against using a .223 but you tend to look over those since you want to hunt with one. thats fine its your business

so its fine if a .223 is all you can afford or handle but think twice before you recommend one as you may blow some ones chance of bringing home some meet or spare them having to watch a animal suffer or possibly get lost in the woods following a blood trail that they would not have had to.

even our military wants to get away from the .223 as it does not have enough stopping power if you want to hunt with a ar15 consider a 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc or jump up to a .308 i now hunt deer with a ar type rifle but its a .308 and when elk season opened i took out the 30.06 i ended up getting my deer with the 30.06 cause i had already cleaned my .308 and the 30.06 was out once shot to neck and down it went.

why spend 600-800 for a rifle that will do a lame job at killing a deer rather than $250-350 on one that will knock it dead?

to the original question asked

my suggesting is to go with something traditionally used by younger hunters like a 30.30 carbine they make higher quality ammo for them now they are shorter and well balanced they are still a bit heavy but helps absorb some of the recoil . or look into specially youth rifles the some of the other serious recommendations are good and you can always shortin a stock and replace it later with a full size they main thing imo is not to get something with a long barrel as that may be hard to hold steady for the little fella

here is a good read on youth "hunting rifles" note the .223 is not even mentioned

<broken link removed>

here is another one with youth rifles not specifically for big game so the .223 is mentioned
http://www.ocshooters.com/Gen/kidshooting/youth-firearms.htm

also take him to a gun store or better yet the up coming gun show this month ask permission and let him try some out and see what he is comfortable holding

I'd also add a cople of not-so-common-in the US hunting calibers:
* 6.5x55 swiss - you will love this one so much you might keep it for yourself. Check a Tikka t3 lite. Very good rifles!
* 7.62x39 - with a 150gr SP within 100yds is ok. CZ-usa has a carbine (pricy); Reminton imports the Rem 799 carbine (from Serbia); much more afordable.

Hello, I am new to the forum and just went through this very issue. I picked up a used Ruger compact in 7mm-08 for my 12-year old daughter. It fits her well and she had no problem carrying it for both deer and elk seasons. The recoil was a little more than she expected but after a dozen or so shots at the range it was no longer an issue. If you think recoil will be an issue .243 may be a better choice. If you are going to put a scope on the gun make sure there is plenty of eye relief. This helps those of smaller stature get a good field-of-view. I went with a Leopold 2x7 rifleman. My daughter is extremely happy with the package. I also like the fact that she will be able to use the rifle for many years to come. Her grandfather was so impressed with the rifle he is now looking for one.

Hello, I am new to the forum and just went through this very issue. I picked up a used Ruger compact in 7mm-08 for my 12-year old daughter. It fits her well and she had no problem carrying it for both deer and elk seasons. The recoil was a little more than she expected but after a dozen or so shots at the range it was no longer an issue. If you think recoil will be an issue .243 may be a better choice. If you are going to put a scope on the gun make sure there is plenty of eye relief. This helps those of smaller stature get a good field-of-view. I went with a Leopold 2x7 rifleman. My daughter is extremely happy with the package. I also like the fact that she will be able to use the rifle for many years to come. Her grandfather was so impressed with the rifle he is now looking for one.

my oldest daughter is 6 i gotta wait 6 more years. i can't wait to have my little hunting partner with me. this year since i was not in eastern and since my dad was not hunting cause of his cancer i brought the deer home with me and hung it in the garge she wanted to watch me skin it but it was past her bed time she was really disapointed that she could not get to watch.

i remember a couple years back i took a deer in to be processed as i was waiting out side another guy pulled up with a small forken horn in the back and a glow usually seen on pregnet woman i looked over at him and the deer and with a big smile he said "my daughters first deer"

my FFL dealer has been hunting with his 6.5 Swede for so many years he no longer remembers when he got it. Shoots very flat, weighs 6 lbs with scope, he's shot elk at 400 yards first shot drops and kills. He made his own sporting stock (he's a capable gunsmith), ammo is cheap and soft points readily available, recoil is gentle enough for the smaller ones. He's in his 70's and can carry it all day whilst his companions are grousing by noon at how miserable their modern magnums are. I've seen these in good condition at gunshows in the $250-350 range. Non-original ones tend to be less dear as they have lost their collector value, yet are fully functional. Actions are based on the indestructible Mauser 1898, are smooth and easy. He'd also have an interesting piece of history, and a "cool factor" few of his peers could even approach.

If you do find one in original condition, I'd recommend removing and preserving the original wood bits and fit it up with a ready-made sporting stock suited to his size. When he graduates to a modern magnum (IF he ever does....) he can then return this to its original (and possibly by then rather valuable) condition.

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll have to start digging into them and figure out what will work. I didn't start hunting until I was older so it is nice to see him interested already. Now just need to find something that will knock down a deer without knocking him down too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top