JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking about a new handgun, but just can't figure out what I "need" next o_O. Currently have 2 CZ's, a PCR 9mm compact, and a 97 BD .45 ACP, as well as a SIG P220R, also in .45 ACP. The PCR and SIG are my carry pieces, the 97 is a range toy and sometime nightstand gun, although the SIG is better as the latter due to having a rail for a WML. Have been toying with the idea of a DAO pistol lately, an H&K with a LEM trigger has been on my mind, I'm leaning toward the HK45 V7, but don't see a need for another .45. At the same time, I really don't need another 9 mm, the PCR is fine for both carry and range. Was quite serious last summer about getting my hands on a Ruger GP100, even put my SIG on consignment to help finance one, but the SIG didn't sell, which I've decided is a good thing, but no GP100. I'm already set up to load for 9mm and .45 ACP, not totally averse to adding another caliber/cartridge, but it is an argument in favor of either 9mm or .45 ACP.

So here's my problem. When I step back and ask myself what purpose a new gun would serve, I come up with nothing but entertainment. That's all well and good, but that same money would pay for a lot of ammo and/or loading components. A DA/SA revolver would at least have the advantage of being a good training tool for my DA work with my other pistols, but would otherwise most likely just be a range toy. Don't really have a use/need for a magnum anything, and the guns I already have don't get shot nearly as much as I'd like.

So I guess the real question is, do I get a new toy or do I spend the money on the guns I already have? Not just ammo, I just replaced the sights on my SIG as well as the front sight on the PCR. I think I want to put an adjustable rear on the 97, as well as doing some action work on the SIG, the trigger is pretty good, but it could be better, especially in DA. The other upside to focusing on the ones I already have is just that, focus. We all know the old saying, beware the man with only one gun... My last range trip, I took just my SIG, and although not my best session ever, it was still good, and focusing on just one gun was a bit of an eye opener. I think I'll continue with only one gun at a time, or maybe two, but the other will be a rifle. It's harder to focus on the individual nuances of grip and trigger press when you're switching guns around in a session, especially when they don't happen that often.

So it looks like I answered my own question, sorry this ran so long, and if you're still with me, thanks for "listening" :D. Still happy to hear any thoughts on the subject, later.

Dave

Lol the struggle is real.

Just as I offload a good number of unused guns, I buy another project gun. I feel the pain!

Ive been on the bandwagon of buying more ammo and reloading components, that and more range time.

So I agree with you answering your own question. Stick with what you got, put that extra money in an envelope in the safe for another day.

We all go thru this often, my 2 cents are if a gun has somthing i cant live with i spend the money to change it, if its pretty darn good already i leave it. Ammo i either hoard or shoot and its money i dont get back, but another gun gets played with and i either love it and keep it or i get most my money back to get what i want next. No matter what i want when i get it i just seem to want something else.

Just thinking out loud here but I'd say get a.22 or two! They can be useful for training and honing all the marksmanship basics like grip, trigger manipulation, sight alignment, follow-through, breathing, reloads, etc. etc...Maybe something that closely matches your full power guns or a new style. I also like to mix it up with some historic firearms and rounds like 45-70 in a falling block or lever gun. But then that opens you up to a HUGE world of different guns and ammo and the sickness sets in! I have a fever...and the only prescription is more cow bell!...rung by lead!:D

Just thinking out loud here but I'd say get a.22 or two! They can be useful for training and honing all the marksmanship basics like grip, trigger manipulation, sight alignment, follow-through, breathing, reloads, etc. etc...Maybe something that closely matches your full power guns or a new style. I also like to mix it up with some historic firearms and rounds like 45-70 in a falling block or lever gun. But then that opens you up to a HUGE world of different guns and ammo and the sickness sets in! I have a fever...and the only prescription is more cow bell!...rung by lead!:D
Ya, 22lr is about the only caliber you can put in 2000-4000 rounds at one range session and not feel like you need a second mortgage. Hell, my latest 22lr pistol already is clocking close to 10,000 rounds and it's only been in my possession for about two months.

+1 for new toy. Its a buyers market right now but wont be as we get closer to elections. Everything will go up in price or be held onto until things shake out. Even though revolvers and .22 ammo aren't going to be targeted.. everything gets scarce come that time.

Bet you can find a used but decent condition GP100. Save the accessorizing for down the road as that stuff goes on sale in key seasons on particular websites and most likely will be available way down the road.
YMMV.

Im always in favor of new toys.

+1 for new toy. Its a buyers market right now but wont be as we get closer to elections. Everything will go up in price or be held onto until things shake out. Even though revolvers and .22 ammo aren't going to be targeted.. everything gets scarce come that time.

Bet you can find a used but decent condition GP100. Save the accessorizing for down the road as that stuff goes on sale in key seasons on particular websites and most likely will be available way down the road.
YMMV.

Im always in favor of new toys.

So will ammo. Now is the time to stock up if you want to shoot next year.

There is nothing wrong with guns just for fun. When in doubt, go gonzo, and don't look back. Have you considered going big bore (e.g., .44 Magnum, .454 Casull) or something NFA (e.g., registered stocked pistol)?

Ya, 22lr is about the only caliber you can put in 2000-4000 rounds at one range session and not feel like you need a second mortgage. Hell, my latest 22lr pistol already is clocking close to 10,000 rounds and it's only been in my possession for about two months.
You can put 4k rounds out in one session? I'm usually only attentive enough for 500 tops, then I'm bored again. Or my Taurus gums up and becomes a bob Marley.

You can put 4k rounds out in one session? I'm usually only attentive enough for 500 tops, then I'm bored again. Or my Taurus gums up and becomes a bob Marley.
I spend a lot of time cleaning guns, lol.

Once one gets gunked up enough to cause jams, I'll field strip, spray and wipe, keep going.

Speed loaders and at least 8 mags per rimfire help!

Steel targets help chase away boredom. Ironically you'd think I'd be better at Speed Steel with the amount of shooting I do with my rimfire.

Looks like you have some excellent shooting 9 mm and 45s. The CZ pistols are very popular with competition
shooters. I second the 22 target pistol. Several fun matches you can do with the 22 pistol. Just pure shooting
fun. Shoot some moving targets like tin cans rolling down a hillside or those orange shooting balls. Hard to beet a
5.5 inch bull barrel Ruger.
1580841377306.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top