JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you're on here asking for advice on what to get next, it's clear that nothing is really speaking to you. Accordingly, I would bank the money. Something will catch your eye sooner or later. No need to force it.

But with that said, what about some quality steel targets? Most people I know who buy steel usually say they wish they had done it sooner.

Buymore.jpg Squirrel hunting.jpg Oh No!.jpg

Wow, another person with a CZ 97 ! Mine's not the decocker version, but I love that thing... strangely enough it is a very comfortable carry pistol. Can't say I've really had the same issue with not knowing what I want next... the ol pocket financial adviser tends to have stern words with me if I want to go too far overboard. Sounds like you have some nice pistols!

+1 for new toy. Its a buyers market right now but wont be as we get closer to elections. Everything will go up in price or be held onto until things shake out. Even though revolvers and .22 ammo aren't going to be targeted.. everything gets scarce come that time.

Bet you can find a used but decent condition GP100. Save the accessorizing for down the road as that stuff goes on sale in key seasons on particular websites and most likely will be available way down the road.
YMMV.

Im always in favor of new toys.
I like the new toy idea as well. If you can afford it, why not? Lately when im looking for new pistols/toys, im thinking of whats going to be of the most benefit for my uses. I think of the types of competition i shoot and it always comes back to what i use for bowling pin shoots. If i can find a pistol that is as accurate as my 3rd gen smiths and as bulletproof, with a much higher capacity, i jump on the opportunity to buy them. Thats what i did with my last 2 pistol purchases. Bought a cz p09 high capacity 9mm that is an absolute gem. I also bought a matchgrade xdm40 that is a 40 s&w with a magazine capacity of 16. It has to be of "matchgrade" quality to compete with my 4006. However my 4006 only holds 11 in the magazine. That's a detriment, as compared to the 16+1 capacity of the XDM. I say, buy what you can see yourself needing and using.

When was the last time you took a development class?

DING, DING, DING, Winner, Winner, chicken dinner :D!!! Lots of great thoughts, guys, but this is what I was looking for, or rather, needed the reminder of. Cerberus has several classes I'd like to do, just need to figure out logistics, they're just far enough away that even a one day class needs to be an overnight trip, and I'm a full time caregiver for my disabled wife, and she's NOT a gun person :rolleyes:. The local sheriff's office was offering various classes for free in the spring and summer, but we got a new sheriff last year, so I don't know what the schedule will be this spring, or if the program even continues. Nothing else that close, although I guess Cerberus will come to you if you can put together a viable group.

The only other one that really stood out was a second copy of my primary carry, the "pair and a spare" touted by folks a lot more hardcore than I'll ever be. I'd actually already been considering the pair part, but the jury is still out as to what's going to be primary, the SIG or the PCR.

@Lesliet , I was curious, what holster are you using to make the 97 a viable carry pistol? And is that concealed or open carry? I haven't had a lot of luck finding holsters for the 97, I'm currently using a Comp-Tac International for an SP-01, but that's just for range use, I wouldn't trust it for regular carry. Don't care for leather holsters, not trying to start a debate, I just prefer Kydex. And don't you need a belt AND suspenders to carry that beast ;)?

A new toy for the sake of a new toy just isn't really viable, both financially and time wise. Like I said, I don't have the time to shoot as much as I'd like, nor the finances to buy whatever strikes my fancy. I've also spent the last four years getting to where I am now, quite a few pistols have come and gone in that time as I was figuring out what worked for me. I finally determined that DA/SA with a decocker is my best option, and I really like the CZ's. If money was no object, I'd have at least an SP-01 Tactical in the mix, there's still a place for a full size 9mm in the line-up of range toys. A Ruger GP-100, an H&K just to have an H&K, probably another Ruger, a convertible Bisley in .45 LC/.45 ACP, well, I could continue but you get the idea. A .22 pistol is a good suggestion, I have an old High Standard, but the mags are so picky I hesitate to use it. I've owned several of the Ruger .22's over the years, but it's been a long time. Might be time to revisit them.

Anyway, my thanks to you all for your thoughts and suggestions, sometimes just saying stuff out loud helps you get clarity, but hearing other's thoughts and suggestions can do the same. Later.

Dave

If you like Sigs and want another gun there are used P229R's in 40 on Gunbroker for $379 right now. P229's in 9mm with DAK triggers are approximately the same price.

I would however get ammo and training.

Yeah, my inclination at this point is training, although I'm going to take a serious look at a .22 LR pistol. ZERO interest in a .40, just no place for one in my needs/wants matrix. I DO like my Sig, especially their reputation for reliability, durability, and longevity. But I'm still getting familiar with mine, even though I've owned it for a year, I've probably only got about 5-600 rounds through it, and 200 of those were my last range session. I intend to continue focusing on working with this pistol, it ticks a lot of boxes in that want/need matrix, and the more I shoot it, the more boxes it ticks. The ONLY downside for me is size, it's just enough bigger than the PCR to make concealed carry more challenging, but I'm working on that, too. Again, thanks to all for your thoughts, later.

Dave

Greetings,

What's your budget? If you've got $1000+, I'd say look into a solid 1911...upper level Springfield Armory, Dan Wesson, maybe a Rock River (not Rock Island). Or get a lower one Springfield and get it worked over to suit your needs. 1911 is probably the most customizable gun out there, and not collection is really complete without one. And seriously look at a 9mm...serious fun.

As others have pointed out, these aren't normal times...you might consider getting something that might be harder to get down the road. A Browning High Power, particularly a nice 'Practical' would be worth considering.

Outside the box a little, if limited to one handgun, a 4-6" Stainless .44 Mag has alot going for it when you add .44 Special into the mix. Short of needing really small bore (.22), it's a very versatile platform. A 5 1/2" Stainless Redhawk could cover a very broad spectrum of applications, and not very expensive.

You could 'split the difference' and track down a .22 Conversion Kit for your P220...expands on the functionality and reduces training costs:

But as you've pointed out, 'getting good with whatcha got' isn't a good idea as well.

$.02 Worth.

Boss

PS - Alert - folks, there's ALOT going on in Olympia RIGHT NOW...mag restrictions:eek:, firearms REGISTRATION:eek::eek:, more. If you're not over in the legislative section, YOU need to be getting over there and helping out, writing/calling legislators, etc.

Latest Updates: Washington - Status of bills for 2020 session

There's a 2A Rally in Olympia on April 18th:

Had a 1911, a Colt in fact, that's what I traded for the Sig. Had a variety of other 9mm's, too, but for a variety of reasons, I've decided to standardize on DA/SA pistols with hammers and decockers. Which is why I only have 3 centerfire handguns at the moment, from a high of 6 or 7, anything with a striker or a safety got sent to a new home.

A DA revolver makes sense, but if I go that route, I'll probably go with the GP100 in .38/.357 Mag. If I was to go bigger, I'd go with the .41 Mag, it's a lot more pleasant to shoot vs. the .44, but the reality is, I have no need for a magnum anything.

I like the idea of the caliber exchange kit, didn't know they were available for the 220, that's definitely something I'll be looking into, thanks. And I'll assume you meant "...isn't a BAD idea" re: getting good with what I have. Later.

Dave

The Eternal Gun Struggle.

I only have real uses for a short list of firearms.
But then it becomes very easy to consider some specialization for differing uses for each type of firearm (rifle, shotgun, handgun).
This is where we get into trouble.:D
Do we choose to become extremely proficient with the ones we have, or are we going to follow the path of most fun and get a new toy?
I have been pretty good at the former for quite a while. But the lust is always high for the latter.
@daved20319 if you've never owned a good DA/SA revolver, buy one and I'd say to buy a .357. .38 Special ammo is fairly cheap unlike any of the substitutions available for other magnum revolvers. If you end up deciding it's not your cup of tea, you'll be able to recoup a good majority of your investment back. Key here is buying a name brand, quality revolver.

I have owned a quality DA revolver, the last one was a S&W 57 .41 Mag, nickeled, 8 3/8" barrel. Fun gun, but as I'm not a hunter or silhouette shooter, it was totally impractical, it got traded for a 1911. With one exception, all my other revolvers have been SA Ruger Blackhawks in .41 Mag. Did I mention I like the .41 Mag ;)?

Like I said, a Ruger GP100 is most likely going to be the next centerfire handgun I get, probably with a 6" barrel as it will be strictly a target gun, and I like the muzzle heavy feel of the longer barrel. I think I'm going to make a point of taking my old High Standard .22 with me next time out, I got a new mag awhile back that seems to be more reliable, if that continues to hold, maybe I'll skip a new .22 for now. I just wish quality mags for the HS weren't so hard to find, and expensive when you do. That alone might be an argument in favor of a new pistol. Enough blather, later.

Dave

I'm usually only attentive enough for 500 tops,
LOL! Same here !

500 rounds is a BIG day for me - well usually a morning anyway - then I am on to something else.

Don't get me wrong, I love shooting but keep it somewhat 'minimized' as I shoot often - but with minimal round count per session.

Part of it is the guns I typically shoot are more 'lower count' type - levers , revolvers etc.

Just thinking out loud here but I'd say get a.22 or two!

This ^^

I didn't see a .22 RF in the list anywhere.

Number of variations to go with. A .22 conversion for what you already have. A purpose built .22 semi-auto - like a Browning Buckmark. A .22 revolver. These are not just for "entertainment"; they have a practical use in just about any person's "arsenal" - hunting, practice, etc. - and the cost is low, for both the gun and the ammo.

@Lesliet , I was curious, what holster are you using to make the 97 a viable carry pistol? And is that concealed or open carry? I haven't had a lot of luck finding holsters for the 97, I'm currently using a Comp-Tac International for an SP-01, but that's just for range use, I wouldn't trust it for regular carry. Don't care for leather holsters, not trying to start a debate, I just prefer Kydex. And don't you need a belt AND suspenders to carry that beast ;)?

Well, mine's leather, from the Czech Republic, and for IWB concealed. Some outfit I've forgotten the name of ( might have been "Craft Holsters"), and yes, I've had zero luck finding any sort of competition speed holster. I thought it was going to be kind of clunky, but at my 7-8 o'clock ( I'm left handed) it sits very comfortably, including while driving. No suspenders needed, just a 1" dress belt. ( no dollar sixty required!) I've met a few local guys that do custom kydex, so something like that might be an option.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads