JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, move to Snohomish County, WA last July. This is my first move ever in my life. I'm coming from Charleston, SC where I have lived the past 26 years of my entire life.

I initially lurked this forum as a non-member to try to find some information on some outdoor public ranges as I was astounded by how draconion some of the range rules around here are for both indoor and outdoor public ranges. And if lack of rules, you have to be a part of the elite club to partake in the more meaningful features of the range such as long arms or farther distances.

Coming from Charleston, indoor ranges were much more lax, and the strictest rules you get were requirements to use brass only for all firearms. There is no caliber limit (albiet i dont think they'd look well at .50 bmg), no firearm type limit, and most ranges even have full auto rentals like P90, Super V, and the likes that really make them much more beneficial to attend than outdoor ranges.

As for outdoor rangers, we had private clubs too, but we had at least two public outdoor ranges on the Francis Marion National Forest that were managed by the DNR that shooters could utilize. Both were out to 100 yards and really didn't have any rules other than your typical mutual respect for the range and shooters alike. And no RO. What was great that both ranges had either a garbage disposal unit, or a metal fence that shooters could throw their expended targets into and plastic barrels to throw expended shells. Reading through the forums here, I'm surprised that the same ideal hasn't been implemented to the popular shooting spots out here on public land in WA with all the issues revolving around waste and residue leftover in the area. I feel it would definitely help with volunteer as well as encourage shooters themselves to pickup after themselves if 1) They didn't have to travel a mile to pack in bring back their stuff (duvall pit) 2) Had somewhere to drop off unnecessary items without having to bring it back with them.

Sorry for the bit of rant, but it's just a bit of comparison of where I'm coming from that I'm accustomed to for pretty much all my life and just being shocked by the total 180 of what I'll now have to deal with as an outdoor shooter. I'm in no way boasting about Charleston, I'm just pointing out the polar differences between the two. Granted, I'm well aware of the likely political history and general standing behind both states that have caused both to result in what they are.

With that said, I hope to survey the forums and find more about shooting in Washington as well as some good advice for just general shooting and firearms that you guys have to offer!

Welcome aboard...

Unfortuantely, over the last 20 years Washington and Oregon have been under siege from progressives against all forms of firearms...:eek: It's running rampant everywhere and no let up in site...:rolleyes:

You'll find a place to shoot, look and listen...:p:)

Welcome from Beaverton, OR. Been to South of the Border many a time.
As stated above, the progressive left is a virus out here. It's destroyed Cali over the last several decades, moved on to WA and now it's infecting OR. WA and OR still not as bad as Cali but the looniness can be seen everywhere.
Still a nice place to live overall though, just need to keep your shields up.

Welcome... everyone blames the Californians because there is a lot about the state to blame. But in reality, a lot of what goes on in Washington and Oregon is native to the two states and inherent to people anywhere. In my opinion we have a generation or two gap between those that teach and hand down the proper way of using the land and those that would have learned as they grew up. The gap is from those that grew up on computers games, the internet and smart phones. Not to mention all of the tree hugging environmentalists that we have in Northwest that wouldn't know what a tree looked like if it fell on them... but they are sure going to protect them.

Enjoy Washington but visit Oregon when you get the chance... they need the tourist money to help pay for the bicycle lanes. ;)

Mike

Welcome.

As far as ranges: I'm a member of a fairly relaxed range. Basic gun safety rules and such, but otherwise: no mag cap limits, no rate of fire limits. Just don't shoot AP rounds or 50BMG there cause they will mess up their gongs. Otherwise have at it...It is a private range though so you gotta be a member for good reason...no RSO 95% of the time. We are each our own RSO's and members are responsible for their guests.

btw you chose to move at the wrong time if you're a gun lover...we're literally months away from an all out ban state wide on all semi-automatic rifles if the current bills in congress make it all the way through. and possibly losing state preemption on gun laws which means any city/town/county can make up whatever rules they want so a simple car drive could make you a felon if you're carrying...

check out the legal and legislation section of the forums for more info on it.

Hey guys, move to Snohomish County, WA last July. This is my first move ever in my life. I'm coming from Charleston, SC where I have lived the past 26 years of my entire life.

I initially lurked this forum as a non-member to try to find some information on some outdoor public ranges as I was astounded by how draconion some of the range rules around here are for both indoor and outdoor public ranges. And if lack of rules, you have to be a part of the elite club to partake in the more meaningful features of the range such as long arms or farther distances.

Coming from Charleston, indoor ranges were much more lax, and the strictest rules you get were requirements to use brass only for all firearms. There is no caliber limit (albiet i dont think they'd look well at .50 bmg), no firearm type limit, and most ranges even have full auto rentals like P90, Super V, and the likes that really make them much more beneficial to attend than outdoor ranges.

As for outdoor rangers, we had private clubs too, but we had at least two public outdoor ranges on the Francis Marion National Forest that were managed by the DNR that shooters could utilize. Both were out to 100 yards and really didn't have any rules other than your typical mutual respect for the range and shooters alike. And no RO. What was great that both ranges had either a garbage disposal unit, or a metal fence that shooters could throw their expended targets into and plastic barrels to throw expended shells. Reading through the forums here, I'm surprised that the same ideal hasn't been implemented to the popular shooting spots out here on public land in WA with all the issues revolving around waste and residue leftover in the area. I feel it would definitely help with volunteer as well as encourage shooters themselves to pickup after themselves if 1) They didn't have to travel a mile to pack in bring back their stuff (duvall pit) 2) Had somewhere to drop off unnecessary items without having to bring it back with them.

Sorry for the bit of rant, but it's just a bit of comparison of where I'm coming from that I'm accustomed to for pretty much all my life and just being shocked by the total 180 of what I'll now have to deal with as an outdoor shooter. I'm in no way boasting about Charleston, I'm just pointing out the polar differences between the two. Granted, I'm well aware of the likely political history and general standing behind both states that have caused both to result in what they are.

With that said, I hope to survey the forums and find more about shooting in Washington as well as some good advice for just general shooting and firearms that you guys have to offer!
Welcome to the Pacific Northwest.
Lol I go to South Carolina every other year to get away from the paciPac Northwest.
Mmmmm
Well and my good friend lives there .
Just outside of Walterburo south Carolina.
I spend two weeks there . fishing drinking BBQ and drinking and deer hunting and drinking and BBQ and drinking.
Well you get the picture .
I love it down there.
Going again this year at the end of October beginning of November

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR