JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought a 26" rifle that I am considering having shortened and threaded. Not by myself, thinking of using a gunsmith for this. I have gotten mixed feedback about this but I don't see how this would affect the usability of the rifle. Take it down to 22" with some threading and have at it.

Y'all know different? I know I could just have bought a shorter rifle but I liked this one and even if I dont get it shortened will keep it so any good reason why not?

thanks

It's your rifle, so do what you want. If it was antique in nature, then definitely not a good idea to trash/modify a rarity.
I'm sure Velzey could mod it to perfection

It's your rifle. Though.....

1) Is it some kind of rare rifle/collectable?
2) Do you have some kind of emotional connection to the rifle?
3) Can a similar rifle be found in the length you want with (or without) the threads? Add for threading the barrel correctly, if your new rifle doesn't have it.
4) Speaking of costs......what's the entire project gonna cost? Can you afford it?

Good luck with your project.

Aloha, Mark

PS....just speaking about length of barrels. I've recently been shooting my Mosin Nagant 91/30 (barrel at 28.7 inches) and it's a joy to shoot as compared against a Mosin Nagant M44 (barrel at 20.2 inches).

For your project, also consider:
Caliber
Recoil feeling
Muzzle flash
Sound (IMHO, a muzzle brake is just rude.)

Last Edited:
Years ago Elite Iron the suppressor guys wanted $150 bucks to precision thread and re Crown a Saiga 7.62x51 barreled receiver. They had a big precision lathe with all the needful dial indicators and stuff. They wanted to do the threading to guarantee no baffle strikes with their cans.

You may not want to can your rifle but my failed feeble point is that it might take some undertaking to properly shorten and re crown your rifle project. Lots of things can happen. With the older stuff lots of times the outside diameter of the barrel is NOT the same as the bore axis. Difficult.

so i wanted to reply earlier but work blocks this site...

Its nothing super special. 2014 Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 308. I looked at some older stuff and it was nice but I didnt know enough to be sure I was getting what I needed. Wasn't really into the plastic stocks of a lot of the newer hunting stuff. Plus I like the etching and shiny bits. Long story short, it's nice but a slice job wont majorly affect the value and should be and easy fix.
Should have stated up front the model but honestly was wondering more "should I' than "can I". In spite of being won used in auction this i suspect this weekend will be the first bullets sent down the barrel as we could find no use marks and the sticker was still on the barrel. If I like playing deer sniper I may keep it, if it's just to long I'll see what Velzey wants to give it a snip.

Cut Down the Barrel?

9873cPi.jpg

I'd say go for it!
This link will give you an idea about velocity loss from 26 to say 22.
.308 Win Barrel Cut-Down Test: Velocity vs. Barrel Length « Daily Bulletin

I would determine how far you practical want to reach out with this rifle. Determine the size of game you intend to shoot and figure out what velocity you need to start with at the muzzle to retain enough effective velocity at the distance you have set to still effectively kill game. Once you have figured out the muzzle velocity you need you'll have a good idea how short you can cut the barrel.

Shorter barrels will be lighter and more handy which are both nice in a hunting rifle. A shorter barrel is also stiffer than a longer barrel of the same profile and therefore inherently more accurate due to better barrel harmonics the big downside with loosing barrel length is the loss of velocity which results in a less flat trajectory and more wind drift.

Our 16.3 inch 7.62x51 Saiga AK47 semi auto sporting rifle is very noisy. Her name is Maxine Maxblast. Serious. Does not everybody name their firearms? We do. She is noisy enough that we MUST wear good ear canal ear plugs PLUS some ear muffs. Yep.

Good eye protection also. She is an AK. Very Russian.

No way would we even consider sport shooting with her not using any ear protection. The muzzle blast is also quite awesome. A Smith Enterprises Vortex flash suppressor helps. Adds about 2.5" to the barrel length. If we were to do it over again we would ...

... have bought the 21" barrel version of the Saiga. Then we would have started wacking off about one inch at a time to get to the ideal barrel length for a 7.62x51 rifle which we feel would have been about 18". A compromise between length and noise.

Respectfully. Too noisy. Not that much fun to shoot. Kicks also. We do not treat her well. I thinks she likes it? Dunno. :)

.308 is ok down to 16 to 18" - I had a very accurate M1A with an 18" barrel that would reach out to over 1 km just fine. Most of my rifles are 20" or shorter - I prefer them that way. Some are 16" some are 18", a few 20", one is 30". It just depends on the rifle.

Now if it was a magnum or similar rifle it is usually better to leave it long.

Another factor is what you are going to use it for - precision shooting at long distance? Then long. Hunting in brush or short distance, then shorter is fine. Whatever you like.

But have someone good do it for you like Velzey

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top