JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently decided to obtain my CHL in Curry County, Oregon. However, I was told by a Deputy at the Sheriff's office I needed two forms of a government issued ID with my picture on it. I did present my original birth certificate, company ID card, expired U.S. Passport, Social Security card, etc... I was told by the Deputy that none of these items would suffice. As far as I know, Curry is the only County in Oregon that requires 2 pieces of current identification with a picture.

Is there another form of a government issued picture ID card in Oregon that I can obtain, without having to re-apply for a U.S. Passport? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Here's a cut and past from ORS 166.291:

Proof of identification (Two pieces of current identification are required, one of which must bear a photograph of the applicant. The type of identification and the number on the identification are to be filled in by the sheriff.):

Here's a link: <broken link removed>

Sounds like the deputy is giving you wrong information. What is a little odd is that a quick search for Curry County CHL doesn't yield information like you see for other Oregon counties.

Welcome to Curry County.... The County has absolutely NO information online regarding their CHL application process. Nor, do they enjoy receiving telephone questions regarding "their" process either.

I printed that same information directly from the Oregon.gov website and brought it with me for my fingerprinting / photo session. However, the Deputy refused to look at it or even acknowledge ORS 166.291... I was then told by the deputy that they use "Federal" guidelines established by "Dept. of Homeland Security" for ALL CHL applications. The Deputy even questioned me as to why I even needed or wanted a CHL.

So, to avoid an argument and/or pissing hefer off further - I decided to abandon the process that day. Unfortunately, our professional paths cross occasionally and didn't want to instigate what she could perceive as a negative contact.

Welcome to Curry County.... The County has absolutely NO information online regarding their CHL application process. Nor, do they enjoy receiving telephone questions regarding "their" process either.

Still pretty much the wild west down there I see. With only what 2 deputies on I believe at any given time, if that ? With the tweakers running wild and the dope growers running the woods, who needs more LEO any way ? At least Curry County is better than DelNorte County.

Google up the story about Sheriff Boice whacking that criminal in the woods up the Rogue 40 or so years ago to see how they roll down there.

I have family down there and spend about 6 or 7 days a year there. Nice place for sporting activities, but quite the criminal culture down there.

This is beginning to sound like a cop making up the laws as she sees fit. And you're in an uncomfortable situation if you occasionally cross paths with her. At the simplest, this could be a case of her not having the correct information. At the worst, could be a case of arrogance and intimidation.

If a deputy sheriff is making or following county policy in violation of state law, then there is a huge problem. Might want to solicit some help from Kevin Starrett at Oregon Firearms Federation. I believe that may be a way to apply some pressure and keep your name out of it.

Edit - after seeing the above post regarding their problems with drugs, I can understand some deputies getting testy. The problem is that they need to know the difference between the good guys and the bad guys. One of my younger brothers was a deputy sheriff in another state. He admitted that one of the toughest things was to shut off the attitude when the person in front of you is an upstanding citizen compared to the dirtbags you've been dealing with all day.

If I understand correctly, you don't have to apply in your county of residence, you can apply elsewhere too.

Do local libraries provide photo ID?

It sounds to me like this is there way of putting an obstacle in your path.

Go around it.

At this point in time, if you ever want to do any kind of travel outside the USA, it is best to have a passport, even just to go to Canada, even though you don't technically need it. And it is good to have it well beforehand as it takes a while to get it, even with a rush on it.

If a deputy sheriff is making or following county policy in violation of state law, then there is a huge problem. Might want to solicit some help from Kevin Starrett at Oregon Firearms Federation. I believe that may be a way to apply some pressure and keep your name out of it.
:s0155: They have to obey law written by the state. Here's OFF's contact page with info. http://www.oregonfirearms.org/contact

If I understand correctly, you don't have to apply in your county of residence, you can apply elsewhere too.

Go around it.

At this point in time, if you ever want to do any kind of travel outside the USA, it is best to have a passport, even just to go to Canada, even though you don't technically need it. And it is good to have it well beforehand as it takes a while to get it, even with a rush on it.

If you're a resident of OR, you have to apply in your county of residence per ORS 166.291 (1) (c). If you own property in another county, I believe that would allow to apply there. Never heard of anyone doing that though.

If you're a resident of OR, you have to apply in your county of residence per ORS 166.291 (1) (c). If you own property in another county, I believe that would allow to apply there. Never heard of anyone doing that though.

This, except you have to apply in the county of your primary residence, regardless of land/property owned in other counties.

Oregon drivers license has a photo on it. That and a birth certificate is all that should be needed anywhere in the state of Oregon.

This, except you have to apply in the county of your primary residence, regardless of land/property owned in other counties.

Not sure about primary residence. The statute is interesting in that it has it's own definition of residence.
Here's ORS 166.291 (9)
For purposes of subsection (1)(c) of this section, a person is a resident of a county if the person:
(a) Has a current Oregon driver license issued to the person showing a residence address in the county;
(b) Is registered to vote in the county and has a memorandum card issued to the person under ORS 247.181 (Memorandum card) showing a residence address in the county;
(c) Has documentation showing that the person currently leases or owns real property in the county; or
(d) Has documentation showing that the person filed an Oregon tax return for the most recent tax year showing a residence address in the county.

Then again you might be convincing a deputy that you can apply there if you meet these and your DL has an address in a different county.

Unfortunately, the local Library does not provide ID cards with a photo. And you're right about the Curry County Sheriff's office putting obstacles in the path of future CHL holders. Very disappointing. As for getting a new U.S. Passport issued, I just hate to paying for something that I'll never use.

Go around it.

As for getting a new U.S. Passport issued, I just hate to paying for something that I'll never use.

Get the passport now. It's like insurance, you may never need it, but by the time you find out that you do, it's usually too late. Even our 8 month old infant had her own passport. It's like a trump card. There's never any question about its validity.

Rick, thank you for the advice. I left a message today for Kevin Starrett @ Oregon Firearms Federation. I've also thought about posting a comment on Sheriff John Bishop's Facebook page regarding his department's CHL policy. He appears to be a Facebook junkie, so maybe he'd be interested in explaining his rationale behind it?

https://www.facebook.com/CurryCountySheriff&#8206;

Not a bad idea... The applications for both states have been sitting on my desk for several months now. I'd rather drop $60 for a Utah CHL, then $55 on a Passport card. But before I do, I'll be sure to contact the Sheriff's office to see if the Utah CHL permit would be considered an acceptable form of ID. If I understand correctly, only Utah issues a picture id card?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top