JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Excuse my ignorance here, I am primarily a wingshooter and a bit out of my element when it comes to rifles.

My current setup is a Vortex Crossfire II (6-18) mounted on a Remington 700 VTR .223. The rail is factory, and I'm not sure the height of the scope mounts to be perfectly honest (but they look 'low'). I am using a laser bore site to paper the setup.

With this setup, I have to adjust the scope elevation turret all the way in order to lower the crosshairs down to meet the laser (at about 20 yards), and to be honest, they still don't meet.

I have removed/remounted the rings to the rail to reset the seating. Doesn't help. I've also test fired and confirmed that it shoots low.

Is it possible that I have the wrong ring height? Any other advice or things to look at? Thanks all!

IMG_2101 - Copy.JPG

Within the typical range of variance between a set of low, medium, or high height rings, it shouldn't be causing the issue you indicated. If you haven't already, I would look closely at the rail/rings where they are mating together to make sure there is not any burrs/debris that may be causing a slight misalignment. Same for the rail mating to the receiver. You could also try swapping the front and back rings if they are not position sensitive on your rail. Regarding the rail, does it have any slope built into it (25 MOA or such) for zeroing at distance?

Excuse my ignorance here, I am primarily a wingshooter and a bit out of my element when it comes to rifles.

My current setup is a Vortex Crossfire II (6-18) mounted on a Remington 700 VTR .223. The rail is factory, and I'm not sure the height of the scope mounts to be perfectly honest (but they look 'low'). I am using a laser bore site to paper the setup.

With this setup, I have to adjust the scope elevation turret all the way in order to lower the crosshairs down to meet the laser (at about 20 yards), and to be honest, they still don't meet.

I have removed/remounted the rings to the rail to reset the seating. Doesn't help. I've also test fired and confirmed that it shoots low.

Is it possible that I have the wrong ring height? Any other advice or things to look at? Thanks all!

View attachment 1130195
First question is did you follow the directions on focusing/adjusting the Recticle? Second question, I cant see exactly what parallax setting is on but looks close, they are only a suggested may be different for you. You may want to read the directions to learn what and how parallax effects the aim. Depending on how you hold the rifle and where your eye is you may need taller rings for a good fit for your shooting stance/style.

Ditch the laser. Zero scope back to center.

Place target at 50. Shoot it.

Go from there.

The laser ain't perfect. I found that mine would roll through a 6" circle as I rotated it in the chamber.

The laser at close range was annoying to me. I ended up just mounting the rifle at the range and bore-sighting to a target at 50yds. Shoot and it's close enough to get on paper. Adjust and go.

Ditch the LASER
Shoot one round benched solid at 25yards
Put the rifle back to previous point of aim
Move crosshairs to intersect your point of impact….should have a solid 25 yard zero in three shots or less

I use a laser, but I do it in my shop at maybe 5 yards. I measure approx. distance from bore center to scope center, typically about 1.5", and will adjust windage to be on the laser, with elevation 1.5" high. Start at 25 or 50 yards at the range to verify on paper, then move out to whatever zero range you prefer and fine tune. This has pretty much always had me on the target right way, and as I'm fond of MOA reticles, getting a good zero is quick and easy. Later.

Dave

I agree with most of what has already been said and will add one other thing to consider. More than likely, the rail has 20 MOA cant. It is possible that your scope doesn't have enough travel to compensate for the cant.

Thanks to all who responded. From my previous experience + the feedback here, it was clear to me that I should start fresh & take a new approach.

I reset the whole setup (swapping rings front to back) and took it out to the range. Started with short distances and slowly extended. It is now shooting great at 100yds. No more shooting low.

This issue has been frustrating me since I bought the gun. Now you all have made me appreciate this gun like I thought I would before I bought it. Thanks all!

Another way to do it with the laser is to rotate the laser 360 degrees inside the muzzle. If it makes a 4" circle at a close distance your laser is garbage. If it makes a 2" circle at 50 yards, put your reticle in the middle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top