JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 scope that I suspect is malfunctioning. I have 3 rifles that are very accurate, but when I mount this scope on any of my rifles the accuracy sucks. Finally today I decided to test the scope vs. another scope that works great. I used my Tikka Tac A1 6.5cm with Nightforce 30mm scope mount and shot 2 x 4-shot groups with the Vortex Diamond, and then I shot 3 groups with Vortex Viper (I consistently shoot 1/4/-1/2 MOA groups with this scope on my Tac A1). All 3 groups shot with the Viper are sub-1/2 MOA and both groups shot with the Diamondback are slightly over 1 MOA. I posted a pic of the target and indicated which groups were shot with each scope. All groups were shot at 200 yards using front and rear sand bag support. Should I send the Diamondback to Vortex for repair or replacement? Could the reticle be a little bit "nervous" or could the elevation and windage be unstable? Could the internal recoil compensation mechanism (I forgot the exact technical term for it) be faulty? The rifle is 6.5cm and has a muzzle brake and is very heavy, so there is barely any recoil with this rifle. Is it worth sending the scope to Vortex? Does anyone know what is the turn-around time?

Cheers,

Dan

20220723_230249.jpg

I would look at rings 1st.
Same Nightforce 30mm rings were holding both scopes and everything was properly torqued. I tried the scope on 3 different rifles and was getting lausy groups on any of them. When I put different scopes on the same rifles, they all shoot great. So, it must be the scope.

I'd recommend using Google-Fu to research scope box testing and see if something along those lines can help determine if your Diamondback Tactical has issues with the reticle(s). You could try with the Viper first to get an idea for comparison.

Put rifle in a sled. Line up to target.
Shoot.
Check - has the reticle changed position?
Do an adjustment check - go a few clicks over, then up, down, and all around. See how well the scope tracks and if it comes back to center.

If it isn't tracking, isn't returning to center, or is bouncing around after firing…and you're certain of your mounting being good…then yea, it could be the scope.

Make use of Vortex's warranty. Honestly, the DB's are the cheapest Chinese made in the lineup. A good value, but I wouldn't be surprised if some don't quite measure up and have to be sent back.

Put rifle in a sled. Line up to target.
Shoot.
Check - has the reticle changed position?
Do an adjustment check - go a few clicks over, then up, down, and all around. See how well the scope tracks and if it comes back to center.

If it isn't tracking, isn't returning to center, or is bouncing around after firing…and you're certain of your mounting being good…then yea, it could be the scope.

Make use of Vortex's warranty. Honestly, the DB's are the cheapest Chinese made in the lineup. A good value, but I wouldn't be surprised if some don't quite measure up and have to be sent back.
Thanks for the advise. I do not have a sled, but my hands are better than sled. With Tikka Tac A1 I can shoot under 1/2 MOA all the time since I practice a lot with that rifle. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that if I change elevation or windage, the scope shoots all over for the first 7-8 shots after the change, and then the groups get tighter. I just packed the scope and will ship it to Vortex tomorrow morning.

Then I think you've already decided there's a problem, can't trust the scope, and are looking for agreement.

You have it from me.

Contact Vortex, tell them the problem, and expect them to help you out. They go to great lengths to brag up their no-questions-asked warranty.

Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 10-42-45 Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP.png

Chinese. Luckily vortex has a squared away customer service department. One reason I stick with Leupold as well. Great CS and it's right up the street if I have any issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top