JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so I have some ideas about fabing up my own silencers/suppressers but I know very little about how the laws work when trying to do so. I know the Gov will want a ton of info and tax stamp stuff but do I have to have all that in place before I even get my ideas off the paper? Can I even build one and experiment/test my ideas?

I have always been interested in doing this. Even as a kid when I learned about the Welrod pistol. Where do I find info on different types of supressers,ballistic ratios and most importantly....get started without making Uncle Sam upset?

Thanks for the help.

There is a guy on here that goes by Ranb that has posted threads with links to youtube videos on the subject. He also has a very nicely done video on how to fill out the necessary paperwork. I think it was him or another guy on here that teaches a how to class for a very reasonable price. If you go to the NFA section on this site then you will find many more very knowledgable people on the subject as well.

I did some checking into building my own, so you definitely do NOT want to start a build or even have the parts to build a silencer before you get the tax stamp in hand.

You are correct about the paperwork, you have to fill out an ATF Form 1 and go through the same wait/background check as buying a new commercial Silencer. There is also still a 200 dollar tax stamp (and the 7+ month wait that comes with it!).

The Form 1 requires that you put dimensions on it, so you very much need to have the suppressor designed in advance (or at least the tube stuff decided!). You are aloud to design on paper whenever you want, but it is illegal to make ANY components for the silencer until you get the Form 1 back. I'd suggest not even chucking up a billet in the lathe for it :)

As soon as you get your paperwork back, you can start construction. There are a number of things that need to be printed on the tube (very specific requirements as to what), but RanB's videos and posts can answer that when you come to it.

You are correct about the paperwork, you have to fill out an ATF Form 1 and go through the same wait/background check as buying a new commercial Silencer. There is also still a 200 dollar tax stamp (and the 7+ month wait that comes with it!).

The Form 1 requires that you put dimensions on it, so you very much need to have the suppressor designed in advance (or at least the tube stuff decided!). You are aloud to design on paper whenever you want, but it is illegal to make ANY components for the silencer until you get the Form 1 back. I'd suggest not even chucking up a billet in the lathe for it :)

As soon as you get your paperwork back, you can start construction. There are a number of things that need to be printed on the tube (very specific requirements as to what), but RanB's videos and posts can answer that when you come to it.

Ok,thanks guys. I had a hunch that I would have to do it like this.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top