JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I like the cold storage wallet. It's innocuous. You can store tens of millions on there and leave the country.

No bank transfers, accounts etc. Unless you want to buy or sell on an exchange. Then you're back on the grid.

But that's the issue. If you wanted to avoid the exchange and sell some to live off of, how? Meet someone in a parking lot, get cash then send them a little coin? How do they know you will after you get the cash?

What's to keep them from robbing you and asking for the keys?

Mine is biometric and I'd only put what I need on a different wallet before meeting them with that wallet.

Thoughts?

I would start with defining what you are trying to accomplish, and what risks you are willing to accept to accomplish it. If your goal is to be able to have money squirreled away electronically so that you can access it anywhere in the world and not be traced, then cool. But unless you're running from the law you'd probably not be looking at using it unless we have a major SHTF situation, at which point there is no guarantee crypto would retain its value, or be accessible to you when needed.

I don't know enough about cryptocurrency to say whether I think it's a good idea or bad for that purpose. However, I do recall bitcoin's value bouncing like a yoyo for a while there. That would make me nervous about adopting a financial vehicle subject to such dramatic variation in value as an emergency resource in times of crisis.

I would definitely recommend not putting all of your eggs in one basket. Make sure you have the essentials covered on the physical front first, because tangible assets for use or barter (cash, precious metals, food, guns, ammo, booze, cigarettes, coffee, medicine, etc.) will help get you through immediate challenges better than a digital wallet full of hypothetical currency. After ensuring your physical needs are covered, if you have extra cash and want to sink some of it into crypto, go for it. Just assume you'll never get it back in a SHTF scenario, and be pleasantly surprised if you do.

You mentioned millions in your post and comments - if you don't actually have that kind of cash on hand, and don't expect it to magically appear in your bank account, I respectfully recommend you quit daydreaming and get back to reality. Your resources are probably finite, and your expenses on any prep need to take a back seat to your day-to-day survival. Be realistic in asessing your means and defining your needs so that a potential problem tomorrow (SHTF) is not replaced with a real-life one today (mortgage/rent, food, transportation, medical expenses, etc). On the other hand, if you do happen to have millions lying around, then that makes your life easy - a gamble on crypto will be less impactful on your available resources if it is suddenly unavailable than it would be for the rest of us.

Also, not advocating non-smokers to buy cigarettes or non-drinkers to buy booze. But if you already do smoke or drink or enjoy a good cup or coffee, buy extra and store it so you can either use it yourself or barter it if things go south.

That's my $0.02. YMMV, so take it or leave it.

Edited to add:

I did not intend for that to come across as harsh or snarky, so apologies if it did. I just feel strongly that people should be realistic when considering how to prep for off the grid or SHTF scenarios. The stakes are high, both for that hypothetical scenario and for your daily life. I would hate to see someone sink a bunch of resources into what is essentially insurance and potentially neglect their current obligations.

Last Edited:
1644991435469.png

Always pay your "Fair Share".

Aloha, Mark

The first thing I'd have to ask is, why is this a concern?

I don't know anything about crypto, but have read that it is the favorite currency of human and drug trafficers, so there must be a way.

The second thing I'd have to ask is, what do you do when the power goes out?

From what I understand, Blockchain transactions are trackable. The transaction history is embedded in the code.

It might be that the .govs just haven't caught up to this yet enough masse. There are a few instances where hackers who demanded ransom in the form of crypto were tracked down by analysis of the blockchain, and the funds were returned.

Cryptocurrencies and most importantly, the protocols they run on, are an enigma to most people. It is not the tokens, it is all about the networks they run on.

As far as cold storage for protection, absolutely use it. Do not store your stuff on an exchange. For SHTF...there are some companies who are working on protocols that will facilitate offline transactions, for when there is no access to the internet. I really have not looked I to this, but I seem to remember an article from last July-September theat the XRP ledger labs was working on it.

Last Edited:
So ... does anyone have an offshore bank account (preferably Swiss🇨 ) that they recommend?

For that matter, if you keep your gold in bullion minted in a foreign country (e.g., Krugerrands or Maple Leafs), is there less likelihood of confiscation from the U.S. Government (eg., 1933) ?

Asking for a friend.

For that matter, if you keep your gold in bullion minted in a foreign country (e.g., Krugerrands or Maple Leafs), is there less likelihood of confiscation from the U.S. Government (eg., 1933) ?
No, gold is gold. If you are worried about .gov confiscation, it is better to hold gold in the form of jewelry or numismatic items (if historical precedent holds). But you pay a high premium for either. If you ask me, it's better just to keep your bullion, and if .gov comes for it bury it in the back yard until there is a change in government policy.

Edited for spelling

Last Edited:
I dunno about jewelry, but in 1933 it was illegal for Americans to even own gold dollars.

FFDR
Numismatic items were exempt from confiscation.

"The order specifically exempted "customary use in industry, profession or art," a provision that covered artists, jewelers, dentists, signmakers, etcetera. The order also permitted any person to own up to $100 in gold coins, a face value equivalent to 5 troy ounces (160 g) of gold valued at approximately $10,000 in 2020. The same paragraph also exempted "gold coins having recognized special value to collectors of rare and unusual coins", which protected recognized gold coin collections from legal seizure and likely melting."

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top