JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know if I'd go quite that far. I have no doubt some fine vets and vet supporters did vote for Hillary, if for no other reason than their dislike for Trump. Otherwise I agree with what you said.

Touché, my dad's a vet and voted for either Hitlery or a third party - should have given that a bit more thought.

Touché, my dad's a vet and voted for either Hitlery or a third party - should have given that a bit more thought.

No worries, I think we get where you're coming from. I know some fine Dems that I disagree with vehemently politically, but who have my respect for service to their country.

Non-vet here, just so you know. I can never express my gratitude enough for anyone that serves this country and I pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster every night that everyone with the cajones to sign up NEVER has to see combat. Believe me, you never want to read anything like an in case of death letter from a friend sent to Afghanistan.
It just got a little dusty in my office...

Back to the original topic.. My father enlisted during vietnam. He did not wait to be drafted. He never talked much about that time in his life. But, what he did say, was that it was generally known, that if you did not see active combat, you were somehow less then worthless. I can only assume he did not, or just could not bring himself to say. I may never know. The only other thing he talked about was deploying mobile bridge systems, and other heavy equipment.

Back to the original topic.. My father enlisted during vietnam. He did not wait to be drafted. He never talked much about that time in his life. But, what he did say, was that it was generally known, that if you did not see active combat, you were somehow less then worthless. I can only assume he did not, or just could not bring himself to say. I may never know. The only other thing he talked about was deploying mobile bridge systems, and other heavy equipment.

Very similar here. Dad had just finished college and enlisted as a CO. Was an alterity officer and I'm guessing he never saw face to face combat but it effected him enough that I know next to nothing about his time there.

A few yeas ago I showed my father in law my new AR I had just built. He insulted it, calling it a .22! A worthless rifle.. He then proceeded to tell me what he did. One of his jobs was to replace machine gun barrels. Sustained full auto would turn the barrels white hot. They would just melt from sustained fire. He had a stack of replacement barrels. He would grab the white hot barrels, remove them, and install a new one. And they would continue firing for what? A minute? Then repeat!!

He had never spoken of the war up till that point. My wife over heard our conversation. She was really shocked. In her 35 years, he had not said one word of what happenend over there. Even when asked.

A few yeas ago I showed my father in law my new AR I had just built. He insulted it, calling it a .22! A worthless rifle.. He then proceeded to tell me what he did. One of his jobs was to replace machine gun barrels. Sustained full auto would turn the barrels white hot. They would just melt from sustained fire. He had a stack of replacement barrels. He would grab the white hot barrels, remove them, and install a new one. And they would continue firing for what? A minute? Then repeat!!

He had never spoken of the war up till that point. My wife over heard our conversation. She was really shocked. In her 35 years, he had not said one word of what happenend over there. Even when asked.

That tells me he was on a M60 machine gun crew. I "whited" up a couple barrels myself... DAM did Top get pi$$ed! o_O

I have never had any one say any thing to me personally, BUT I get ton's O Crap for serving in the A.F. Mostly because they don't understand the A.F. preforms a great many missions AT GREAT PERSONAL RISK, including my M.O.S. as a P.J!!! It doesn't really bother me, but I know many who are bothered by it! US A.F. guys and galls are used to it! But Still........................

Yeah man, but it's the amenities! Look at the BEDS, man! ;)

Being in the Army were some of the best and worst days of my life! Blowing sheit up was great, sending a 81MM mortar down range knowing something was getting totally destroyed. I could of done with out the hurry up and wait o_O

I would ignore anyone that ever said anything to me for not seeing combat. When your in and trained you want to go do your job even if your not sent.

Or just throat punch the guy:D

I signed my term of six years. If I was told to jump (our unit was put in formation and a batallion cmdr asked us one by one, if we wanted to jump out of a chinook. My response, no disrespect Sir. There are two things fall from the sky. Bird poop and fools. and I don't wish to be either. He respected my response, and moved down the line.) I did at the higher ups request. I planned RA, but got hitched. So I spent my term on N. Ft. Lewis as a clerk typist/Army Reserves and several MOS roles in the National Guard. Prior to getting out of the guard, I trained in ground surveillance, tank, M113, mortars, motor pool, chow hall, armorer, AVLB, and was the commanders driver. I enjoyed it all. (kidding) with honorable discharge. I never cared what anyone referred to my term as, because I did my part serving my country.

I respect all that served no matter.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top