JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been looking at this from time to time....
1707803112725.png

View: https://youtu.be/c7x7tIx70r4

I would suggest a 10/22 with a shortened stock that can be replaced with a bigger stock as they grow. You can find 1 round magazines for 'em, too. I own one. Plan to teach my niece/nephew that way.
Great memory of a random day at the local pit.
My buddy and I were about done plinking for the day when a dad and his boy pulled up. He waited in the cab for a few while we were putting stuff away and getting ready to split. We waved them over after a few minutes just to let them know it ok to start their setup or whatever. Kid was probably 9 or 10 and he's eyeballing one of the 10 22s we brought so I offered his dad the rifle to let his son try it out.
For the next 20 minutes 3 grown men stood around a truck tailgate loading mags for little mr.Plinky McPlinkerson!
That kid burned at least 400 rds chasing empty shotgun hulls and cleaning up clay pigeon crumbs off the berm . I swear he had steam coming off the barrel of that rimfire bullet hose. We all 3 were just cracking up at how much ammo he ate in no time flat. Great safety etiquette, proper muzzle discipline, not childish at all . But deeeemn , he went through most of a brick like it was a timed event.

At those ages, without any prior experience, I would be firmly in the 22lr rifle camp, cut down a stock if needed, but forgo any handguns until they are well versed in firearm safety and have demonstrated safe handling practices.

It's too easy to have poor muzzle control with a handgun and things happen a lot faster casually one handing a handgun.

Plenty of great suggestions in that department so far.

I picked up the Rascal for my Grand Daughter as a starter when she was 7. It worked perfect for teaching the fundamentals, but she was all about the 10/22 after two trips with the Rascal. At first I picked up a factory Youth 10/22 wood stock for it (it is for sale on here), but she much preferred the Blackhawk cuz it looked cool. Rigged up with a red dot she shot many a sage rat with it, but it now rocks a Leupold 2-7 V-XR.

blackhawk-axiom-10-22-stock_640x640.jpg

I picked up the Rascal for my Grand Daughter as a starter when she was 7. It worked perfect for teaching the fundamentals, but she was all about the 10/22 after two trips with the Rascal. At first I picked up a factory Youth 10/22 wood stock for it (it is for sale on here), but she much preferred the Blackhawk cuz it looked cool. Rigged up with a red dot she shot many a sage rat with it, but it now rocks a Leupold 2-7 V-XR.
Yeah. That's a very valid point to consider.
With our kids, my preferred was starting them with a single shot bolt action, but a 7 and 9yr old? Their interest is highly likely to outgrow those real quick. Since we already own a plethora of options, it's no big deal, but if I was in a position to have to make a starter, single option, rifle purchase... I would definitely be looking more at the semi-auto options. Something they can grow "into"... not "out" of.

It just takes a little more of a planned approach to "slow them down" while mastering the fundamentals. IE., single round mag loads and letting them "earn" higher round count mags at benchmarks as they demonstrate safe handling and good firearm care practices. (Like being able to break down and effectively clean their firearm.)

On the other hand, I'm fairly old school and hunting is a big part of our family culture. As such, I believe every child needs to know how to load, unload and work a bolt action. YMMV

I own one of those, they are fantastic!
And should anything break (somehow) Keystone has all the parts online (or so they did) to fix things.
My 22LR has been so fun I'm getting a 22 mag here soon; it's just a lower priority for purchase right now is all. But these things are GREAT and they go on sale at Buds and Classic all the time. Keep an eye out and you can snag one for $99-$120ish.

I own one of those, they are fantastic!
And should anything break (somehow) Keystone has all the parts online (or so they did) to fix things.
My 22LR has been so fun I'm getting a 22 mag here soon; it's just a lower priority for purchase right now is all. But these things are GREAT and they go on sale at Buds and Classic all the time. Keep an eye out and you can snag one for $99-$120ish.
I might. I can stash that and take it almost anywhere. Do a quick target shooting on spare times. its definitely unique and a looker too!

I might. I can stash that and take it almost anywhere. Do a quick target shooting on spare times. its definitely unique and a looker too!
Also from time to time Keystone makes chassis for them should you want to add a brace and grip set up to the pistol.
The chassis are for the rifles, but the pistols apparently have the same dimensions.

They are definitely fun little plinkers. I bring mine with me when go shooting since it's small and paces ammo expenditure well.

I started my kids off with the old Chipmunk rifles - single shot, bolt action with a "pull knob". They were fine for introducing them, but in the grand scheme of things they did not get a lot of use. They quickly transitioned to the 10/22 rifle, and then to their all-time favorite the Ruger Charger, which is basically a 10/22 in oversized pistol format. They loved that thing.

I started my kids off in the backyard with replica airsoft guns.
Pistols and rifles of actual guns they use now.
Seems to have worked and is far less expensive as the units are cheaper and so is the ammo.

Plus the range is just out in the back yard.

My boys were small for their age and did not have the arm strength to hold up a full length rifle. they started with a Chipmunk [ Crickets predecessor].
at 7-9 they loved it. But at about age 10 they were wanting repeaters. Granddaughters were the same, at about 10 they wanted something that held more ammo.
The biggest problem for the little ones is the ammo has to be inserted in the chamber. tiny fingers are not the best tool for that. for that matter neither are old fat sausage fingers. I used a pair of tweezers.
The Savage MK1 feeds from a tray, the user drops a bullet in the tray and the bolt picks it up and pushing into the chamber. Much easier but not a short gun.
The MK2 feeds from a magazine but also has a single shot adapter. Savage also has a good youth stock that is reduced at the wrist to shorten the trigger reach, and at the butt.
Both of the Savage MK series are accurate, and fun to shoot. Both of them are cut for scopes or aftermarket iron sights.
except for the feeding, the crickets make a good first gun, but once they have the arm strength they will want a repeater. Good Luck and enjoy ypour time with them DR

Just my 2 cents, so take it or leave it.

Don't waste your hard earned money on any of the colored, plastic, cheap, single shots on the market. Do some hunting for a single shot classic, quality built, older rifle. I learned on a Winchester Model 67 as did my son, and I anticipate a grandson or granddaughter some day. You can find these fairly easy in the $150-$250 range. The rule of thumb in our family was, when it was time/age to start shooting was when the youngster can load a round and pull the hammer while keeping the muzzle in a safe direction and not all over the place. I struggled with this while watching my older brother have a blast. Years later my neighbor kid had a heck of a time accomplishing this also. I let him practice with an empty chamber. Even then and propped up on sand bags, he was not quite ready so had to just watch for his first shooting section. With more practice he was able to get it down pat and is now a great shot with open sights.
Think about owning a quality piece of wood and steel American history, instead of the latest greatest fancy colored plastic thing that will be extremely slow to appreciate if at all.

Last Edited:
They are a neat little platform but I'd rather go with a 10/22 or if it has to be bolt action, a ruger american rimfire. It can be used at all ages and upgradable.

Great picture! Henry appears to be a pretty good shot, but he sure doesn't look like he's 22. :p
:D

He does have a great uncle that's named Henry. Kinda close.
This pic was several years ago. He started with it at age 5, is now 14 and still loves to shoot the Henry.

Nothing wrong with a properly-sized single shot for beginners. When they're ready to upgrade, SOMEbody will be looking for a single shot rifle.

Consider the Ruger Bearcat for their handgun. Small grip frame, and single action for greater safety. Again, when they outgrow it, there's a ready market. (Presuming they'll want to get rid of them--the Bearcat is the only handgun my wife wants to shoot.)

When the nieces are through with them there are several kits to turn them into ultra light pack rifles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top