JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The weirdest encounter I ever had dealing with CL, was a couple of years ago in the summer time.
A man in NE Portland was giving away a dozen pairs of like new Levi 505 jeans that didn't fit him anymore
They were exactly my size and I needed some work jeans, so I e-mailed him and got an immediate response.
I replied that I was on my way and he gave me his address, which was in a large 55 & older retirement duplex development park.
What could possibly be easier, swing by, grab the box of pants and head home.
I drive into the 55 & older park, found the address and walked up to his door. There was nobody around.
The door was open, but I couldn't see a thing through the screen door.
It was total darkness inside with all the drapes shut tight. I knocked and said hello, and the guy who I swear looked just like the serial killer Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, walks up to the screen carrying a yappy little white dog just like the one called "Precious" in the movie.
He opened the screen door and told me the jeans were over on the kitchen table.
As I walked over to the box of jeans, he asked me if I wanted to try them on in the back bedroom.
I politely refused, thanked him very much and headed for the door.
It was so creepy, I almost ran out.

Last Edited:
The weirdest encounter I ever had dealing with CL, was a couple of years ago in the summer time.
A man in NE Portland was giving away a dozen pairs of like new Levi 505 jeans that didn't fit him anymore
They were exactly my size and I needed some work jeans, so I e-mailed him and got an immediate response.
I replied that I was on my way and he gave me his address, which was in a large 55 & older retirement duplex development park.
What could possibly be easier, swing by, grab the box of pants and head home.
I drive into the 55 & older park, found the address and walked up to his door. There was nobody around.
The door was open, but I couldn't see a thing through the screen door.
It was total darkness inside with all the drapes shut tight. I knocked and said hello, and the guy who I swear looked just like the serial killer Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, walks up the screen carrying a yappy little white dog just like the one called "Precious" in the movie.
He opened the screen door and told me the jeans were over on the kitchen table.
As I walked over to the box of jeans, he asked me if I wanted to try them on in the back bedroom.
I politely refused, thanked him very much and headed for the door.
It was so creepy, I almost ran out.
Daaaaang... I told ya $20 on Craigslist means lotion on the skin

I did a couple of no-contact honor system buy for 50.00. The person left the item on the porch and I put the money in his Ridwell box or under the door mat. It all worked out great. Nobody's time got wasted. I learned from that and did the same thing selling inexpensive items under 100.00. So, I don't understand what's the issue. You get to examine the item before paying. Besides, there are cameras everywhere to keep everything straight.

Oh man, I'll totally give something away rather than deal with CL people.
I have several times given stuff away on CL. An amazing number of them wanted it delivered :confused:
Then of course LOT's of no shows.
Couple times I wanted to give something away I asked for a min amount of cash for it. Then people actually showed up. First one who wanted to buy I would let them have it and then say give the cash to your favorite charity.

I have several times given stuff away on CL. An amazing number of them wanted it delivered :confused:
Then of course LOT's of no shows.
Couple times I wanted to give something away I asked for a min amount of cash for it. Then people actually showed up. First one who wanted to buy I would let them have it and then say give the cash to your favorite charity.
I gave my neighbor my water rower, which would have been listed for around $500.

I gave my neighbor my water rower, which would have been listed for around $500.
The LAST time I took something to Salvation Army was a 55 Gal aquarium. We just got tired of dealing with it and got rid of fish and drained it. The tank, filter, heater, whole thing. Load it in car drive over. They come out and look and say "we can't take that". So back home I go. Run an ad for $50. It took literally minutes for the first call. Some guy drives over and wants it. Help him load it and he tries to hand me money. I tell him give it to favorite as long as its NOT Salvation Army. Told him what happened. He shook his head and asked about his church? I said great enjoy.
Last couple times I had something for sale I tried Offerup. Don't know if its just me? Hassle to just get it set up, then it promptly quit working and I gave up. Had some wheels to an old Jeep with snow tires on them. Buyer of Jeep did not want them so on CL they go. MANY no shows of course till someone finally did show up and buy them. I tried to give them away but no one I knew had a vehicle that could use them. It can be an amazing hassle to get rid of stuff some times.

I needed a bathroom mirror for my rental house I was remodeling last year.
I found the perfect one on Facebook marketplace and only two miles away from my house.
The leftist loony older lady insisted that we meet up in front of a police station for a $15 purchase to insure her safety and anonymity.
She brought her 90 year old mother for added security.
Fine with me, I just wanted a $120 mirror for cheap.
She had a very unique name on her Facebook page, so I Googled it and found out where she lived, what cars were in the driveway and after seeing all the Biden election signs in her yard, plus the leftist stickers plastered all over her cars, I understood who I was dealing with.
When we met up, I bought the mirror and then explained that her unique hyphenated name was all over the internet, and it would have been easier for me to just drive another two blocks and pick up the mirror at her place, since I had the address already.
The look on her face was priceless and in her panic she told me she was going home and erase her name off the internet.
I also told her that she had a bunch of roof shingles missing on the east side up near the ridge.
I thought she was going to faint after that bit of news.

Last Edited:
The LAST time I took something to Salvation Army was a 55 Gal aquarium. We just got tired of dealing with it and got rid of fish and drained it. The tank, filter, heater, whole thing. Load it in car drive over. They come out and look and say "we can't take that". So back home I go. Run an ad for $50. It took literally minutes for the first call. Some guy drives over and wants it. Help him load it and he tries to hand me money. I tell him give it to favorite as long as its NOT Salvation Army. Told him what happened. He shook his head and asked about his church? I said great enjoy.
Last couple times I had something for sale I tried Offerup. Don't know if its just me? Hassle to just get it set up, then it promptly quit working and I gave up. Had some wheels to an old Jeep with snow tires on them. Buyer of Jeep did not want them so on CL they go. MANY no shows of course till someone finally did show up and buy them. I tried to give them away but no one I knew had a vehicle that could use them. It can be an amazing hassle to get rid of stuff some times.
If I don't have someone to give it to. It does to goodwill.

Venting more than anything since I drove nearly 50 miles round trip.

Found what I thought was a good deal on CL. Hit up the guy, told him I was going to stop by, he said ok. Sounds easy enough right?

Got to his place, texted him and waited about 5 minutes. He responds with "?". So now I'm like WTF is this the right address? I called him and he picks up, confirmed that this was the correct address, he said yes........and then a long pause.

He goes "You know how this works right? You come to the door." Mind you he never came outside, I never saw him once, and the door never opened. There are very few times where I'm speechless and this was one of them. I've done hundreds of transaction through this forum, other sites including CL and never once has anyone told me to come to the door without at least coming out with a courtesy greet.

I told him I wasn't going to knock on some random door. That is just sketchy as f*&k. At least come outside as a courtesy so I know it's the right house and what you look like. He then said something, something, something you f-ing freak and to leave then hung up. All that in a span of 30 seconds. WOW......I'm still in disbelief.......like did that really just happened?

I wasted almost 2 hours and 50 miles worth of gas to be called a freak.......I need a drink......

Ya, I think I know why it's such a good deal and still up on CL even after a month of being listed......don't think I'm the first and pretty sure I'm not going to be the last. With that kind of attitude......ya good luck buddy. You're going to piss off the wrong person for absolutely no reason and now they know where you live. Not a very smart way to do business.

Anyways, time for that drink.....
Yeah, that's complete BS, you should have flagged his ad. That's like leaving negative feedback when you get screwed over by somebody on the forum.
I've dealt with many people on craigslist/Offer-Up During the years that I've lived here and only one was a no-show. I was really upset at the time but you never know the situations that people can get into. The guy called me two days later to apologize that he's been in an accident and was in the hospital. That right there was a standup dude.
And remember to be nice, greet every person like you would want to be greeted but have a plan to kill them if bubblegum goes sideways. ;)

Last Edited:
Our local PD has a place set aside in their parking lot, under security cameras, for people to complete Craigslist deals.

That said, I stopped doing anything on Craigslist when more than 50% of the deals became no shows, once they found out we were meeting at a police station. Too many tweakers, creeps, weirdos, jerks and psychos on Craigslist to risk using it anymore, IMO.

Venting more than anything since I drove nearly 50 miles round trip.

Found what I thought was a good deal on CL. Hit up the guy, told him I was going to stop by, he said ok. Sounds easy enough right?

Got to his place, texted him and waited about 5 minutes. He responds with "?". So now I'm like WTF is this the right address? I called him and he picks up, confirmed that this was the correct address, he said yes........and then a long pause.

He goes "You know how this works right? You come to the door." Mind you he never came outside, I never saw him once, and the door never opened. There are very few times where I'm speechless and this was one of them. I've done hundreds of transaction through this forum, other sites including CL and never once has anyone told me to come to the door without at least coming out with a courtesy greet.

I told him I wasn't going to knock on some random door. That is just sketchy as f*&k. At least come outside as a courtesy so I know it's the right house and what you look like. He then said something, something, something you f-ing freak and to leave then hung up. All that in a span of 30 seconds. WOW......I'm still in disbelief.......like did that really just happened?

I wasted almost 2 hours and 50 miles worth of gas to be called a freak.......I need a drink......

Ya, I think I know why it's such a good deal and still up on CL even after a month of being listed......don't think I'm the first and pretty sure I'm not going to be the last. With that kind of attitude......ya good luck buddy. You're going to piss off the wrong person for absolutely no reason and now they know where you live. Not a very smart way to do business.

Anyways, time for that drink.....
That's what's wonderful about this country - we get to choose how and who we do business with. The guy sounds like a petulant child. Probably has a garage full of stuff he can't sell because he lacks the basic social skills to talk his way through a transaction.

What I love about Craigslist is that I can post something for free and get 20 people who say they want it, and no one ever responds or shows up when I reply to them. Then, I can post the same item two weeks later for $20, and one person will reply and come and get it.

I personally avoid Craigslist due to all the no shows and sketchy people.

Facebook market place is the way to go, super easy to post a sale or buy... and you can check out the persons profile before contacting them to give you an idea of who your meeting.

Worst CL experience of mine: Set up a time and day to meet up with a guy selling a mint S10 blazer. Time for meet up happens so I head over to the spot we planned to meet up which was about a 45 minute drive from me. When I get there I called, no answer, call again, no answer, proceed to keep calling about every 10 minutes for an hour till he picks up. He proceeded to try and call me an idiot for showing up when he didnt answer because he had already sold it. I ended up going off on him about how he set a time and date to meet with someone, the bare minimum he could have done was to tell me he sold it and to not show up. I gave him an ear full till he hung up on me.

I used to peddle lots of stuff on Craig's List; I still sell an occasional thing there. I've had 99% good results. But I've learned, don't do meet-ups or deliveries. Potential buyers have to make more of a commitment to come and get something. It's too easy for them to agree to a meet-up, then flake. If they agree to come to my place and flake, I'm not out anything. And I haven't had very many no-shows from those commitments. The things that I've sold are mostly household items, $20 to $75, once in a while $100. I'd never use CL for selling anything valuable.

I've sold a lot of things on CL that are corded, so it's pretty easy to convince potential buyers to come to my place rather than meet up. For obvious purposes of demonstration.

I wasn't going to knock on some random door.
It wasn't a random door. You'd already talked to the guy and verified that you were in the right place. I get why some people may not want to go to a front door. But in my age of raising, it was an accepted and customary practice to go to someone's door when meeting them at their home. Mrs. Merkt is even more embedded in this ethic; when CL buyers get here and call from their car, she wonders, "Why don't they just come to the door?" I'm fine with going out and welcoming them in person. I'm also fine with them coming to the door. It's a different story when the address is out in a back-water, deserted area, no other houses in sight, barking dogs circling around, etc.

I have to add, that back in the era of my raising, people didn't have portable phones that enabled the option of calling from their car. However, there were some people who would honk their horn to get your attention, but this was usually someone you already knew well.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top