JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like to check the "ads" on CL for items of interest. But, gave up selling on it due to the "scammers" and flakes. I have done some transactions but too many were no-shows or became crickets after a response! CL does have some negative issues and as it has been said: "trust your gut"!

Our local PD has a place set aside in their parking lot, under security cameras, for people to complete Craigslist deals.

That said, I stopped doing anything on Craigslist when more than 50% of the deals became no shows, once they found out we were meeting at a police station. Too many tweakers, creeps, weirdos, jerks and psychos on Craigslist to risk using it anymore, IMO.
Now that is a great idea. Be nice if more places would do that. Would certainly help weed out the scammers and people selling stolen stuff.

I was a HVAC service dude for 11 years, knocking on random doors was a daily part of the jam.
But I still don't have people come to the house if I am selling stuff.
I meet at Washington Square where there are cameras and it is just far enough away from the house.

What I love about Craigslist is that I can post something for free and get 20 people who say they want it, and no one ever responds or shows up when I reply to them. Then, I can post the same item two weeks later for $20, and one person will reply and come and get it.
The people who troll CL/FBM or whatever for free stuff are the same kind of people who cannot hold down a job because they have no idea how to make and keep a commitment. They operate off of the pure dopamine surge/crash cycle; say/do whatever you can to get the hit, then flake when it doesn't sustain. When you put a price you filter out that class of person and get much more reliable results.

Venting more than anything since I drove nearly 50 miles round trip.

Found what I thought was a good deal on CL. Hit up the guy, told him I was going to stop by, he said ok. Sounds easy enough right?

Got to his place, texted him and waited about 5 minutes. He responds with "?". So now I'm like WTF is this the right address? I called him and he picks up, confirmed that this was the correct address, he said yes........and then a long pause.

He goes "You know how this works right? You come to the door." Mind you he never came outside, I never saw him once, and the door never opened. There are very few times where I'm speechless and this was one of them. I've done hundreds of transaction through this forum, other sites including CL and never once has anyone told me to come to the door without at least coming out with a courtesy greet.

I told him I wasn't going to knock on some random door. That is just sketchy as f*&k. At least come outside as a courtesy so I know it's the right house and what you look like. He then said something, something, something you f-ing freak and to leave then hung up. All that in a span of 30 seconds. WOW......I'm still in disbelief.......like did that really just happened?

I wasted almost 2 hours and 50 miles worth of gas to be called a freak.......I need a drink......

Ya, I think I know why it's such a good deal and still up on CL even after a month of being listed......don't think I'm the first and pretty sure I'm not going to be the last. With that kind of attitude......ya good luck buddy. You're going to piss off the wrong person for absolutely no reason and now they know where you live. Not a very smart way to do business.

Anyways, time for that drink.....
Meet in a parking lot. If they decline, YOU decline.

"There's something happening here,
But what it is ain't exactly clear,
There's a man with a gun over there,
Telling me I got to beware...
Paranoia strikes deep,
Into your life it will creep,
It starts when you're always afraid..."

- Buffalo Springfield 1966

Worst CL experience of mine: Set up a time and day to meet up with a guy selling a mint S10 blazer. Time for meet up happens so I head over to the spot we planned to meet up which was about a 45 minute drive from me. When I get there I called, no answer, call again, no answer, proceed to keep calling about every 10 minutes for an hour till he picks up. He proceeded to try and call me an idiot for showing up when he didnt answer because he had already sold it. I ended up going off on him about how he set a time and date to meet with someone, the bare minimum he could have done was to tell me he sold it and to not show up. I gave him an ear full till he hung up on me.
That sux. Super irritating on so many fronts. Makes you wonder how they operate in everyday life. The lack of common courtesy and integrity is really annoying at best. What a screw.

Waite until ta try to buy something off Face book" they all think you are going to come over and stab them"
I've only been a CL buyer a couple of times. Successfully. But over the years, I've had several women tell me they need to have their husband come with them. Or they tell me up front that they won't come to the door, and I must meet them at their car. Which I fully understand.

I've sold to all kinds of people, different colors, many different languages, from many different countries. I'm completely color blind when it comes to commerce. Their money is the same color as mine. I've met some pretty nice and interesting people during the process too. Mrs. Merkt calls them, "Your Craig's List friends."

They operate off of the pure dopamine surge/crash cycle; say/do whatever you can to get the hit, then flake when it doesn't sustain.
Yes, these are the ones whose commitment takes a dive right after they said, "Meet me at Safeway." Then that's the end of it. If they have to put down the phone, get a pencil and paper, then write my address down, they tend to commit. I make them use my land line phone, that way they have to write it down.

I make them use my land line phone, that way they have to write it down.
Also, no text messages. I say in my listing, "My phone is a land line and doesn't do text, voice only. Thanks." Even though I have a flip cell phone and an android smart phone, they are rarely turned on. When someone sends me text, I may not see it until the next day. Text message people tend to be immediate satisfaction people; if you don't answer their text message right away, they move on to the next listing. If they have to voice call me, I can talk to them right away, usually and make a deal. If I'm not here, I'm out and will have a cell phone on. Mrs. Merkt gives them my cell phone number, then they call me at that number. I know, it sounds convoluted but it's worked for me.

Imitation Crab?
olderbutitchecksout.jpg

I go to my local PD to do CL transactions where it makes less sketchy and there's cams present. I make that very clear in my ads, meet at my PD and conduct business as such. So far it's been great experiences dealing with people by meeting at the police department. Granted some things can be impractical to bring along to certain venues, so home visits may be necessary. Just tread carefully and trust your gut.
I do CL transactions at Walmart. It's a public space, lots of people around, and cameras covering every square inch of the property. I'm also, of course, carrying.

I still use CL a little. Over the years most all transactions have been really good.
The ones that really pissed me off happened with some members here. AND the sketchiest meet up point was from a guy that's still a member here, but he flaked out and didn't call.
I figured out that I was just fine without the stuff he had for sale.

I've used CL for >17 years.
Buying, selling, offering employment, ride share, meeting people for common interests, and dating.
If it seemed sketchy, I would decline.
Met some really great people, and the occasional nut job.
I hafta say, definitely got my money's worth.

I've used CL for >17 years.
Buying, selling, offering employment, ride share, meeting people for common interests, and dating.
If it seemed sketchy, I would decline.
Met some really great people, and the occasional nut job.
I hafta say, definitely got my money's worth.
200.gif

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads