JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ok so I have been all over the interwebz and am getting conflicting information with no actual regulation sources.

Is there a magazine restriction for hunting coyote in Oregon to 5 rounds or less? Please provide a source if you have it. I don't want to get myself in trouble with a 30 round mag. ;)

No, your good to go with a 30rd. Coyote's are NON-game animals and are considered a unprotected mammal in oregon, so some of the rules don't apply to them including mag size and or calibers used. Look on page 90 of the rule book and then go back to page 18. The weapon restrictions are specifically for game mammals and so do not apply to coyotes. Now go out and shoot some! :)

From the ODFW site:

Cheers. :)
The 2018 big game hunting guide from ODF also states, "Unprotected mammals are not covered under the game mammal, furbearer, or sensitive species rules. For unprotected mammals, there are no closed seasons or bag limits. However, a hunting license is required and all general hunting regulations still apply. Commonly hunted unprotected mammals include coyote, cottontail rabbits, black-tailed jackrabbit, opossum, nutria, California ground squirrel, and Belding's ground squirrels."

The general hunting regations still apply is what is causing confusion and makes me and my buddy think the 5 round magazine restriction applies. :confused:

Although unprotected please make sure you are using 'enough' gun for a humane kill. Minimum .22 CENTERFIRE (but I argue .24/6mm rounds are a better option) - but I have nailed many with a .223.

The 2018 big game hunting guide from ODF also states, "Unprotected mammals are not covered under the game mammal, furbearer, or sensitive species rules. For unprotected mammals, there are no closed seasons or bag limits. However, a hunting license is required and all general hunting regulations still apply. Commonly hunted unprotected mammals include coyote, cottontail rabbits, black-tailed jackrabbit, opossum, nutria, California ground squirrel, and Belding's ground squirrels."

The general hunting regations still apply is what is causing confusion and makes me and my buddy think the 5 round magazine restriction applies. :confused:

I could see how that could read as ambiguous. I don't have a hardcopy available of the big game guide, but they have an electronic version. The page on "General Hunting Regulations" makes no mention of magazine capacity, and it does distinguish between "game animal" and "predatory animal". The page that does mention magazine-capacity is labeled "Legal Hunting Weapons for Game Mammals". And there is the ODFW page linked above. Hope that helps in some way. :)

Although unprotected please make sure you are using 'enough' gun for a humane kill. Minimum .22 CENTERFIRE (but I argue .24/6mm rounds are a better option) - but I have nailed many with a .223.
.223 is my weapon of choice that I will be going coyote hunting with.

I could see how that could read as ambiguous. I don't have a hardcopy available of the big game guide, but they have an electronic version. The page on "General Hunting Regulations" makes no mention of magazine capacity, and it does distinguish between "game animal" and "predatory animal". The page that does mention magazine-capacity is labeled "Legal Hunting Weapons for Game Mammals". And there is the ODFW page linked above. Hope that helps in some way. :)
woof, this states:

• Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel).
I'm thinking I'm just going to get a few 5 round magazines just to be safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top