JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just recently decided to start thinking about survival like most people lately and I purchased a firearm. My background check came up delayed. Im in my 40's... not a felon. I hear a lot of things on the news pages about a surge in background checks and to expect delays. But I really want to be armed if TSHTF. Is anyone else having issues or delays? Any news of covid delays being processed?

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing's hitting the fan in the immediate future so I'm sure you'll be ok with a delay in your background check. Keep a bat

Some questions
1. Do you know how to shoot the gun your buying?
2. Do you have any training or education in self defense or the laws around that?
3. Do you have any Ammo and is it the appropriate type of Ammo for self defense?
4. Did you buy some Ammo to practice/train with?
5. What gun are you buying.

Lots of folks here that can answer most questions so feel free to toss them out.

Stay safe and try not to panic or stress

cheers - Joe

I have shot targets with a similar gun. I was raised in the country and had access to shotguns and rifles. Pheasant hunting and what-not.
Not much self defense training. I have been studying the laws and hope to get a conceal carry permit.
I got a few different types of ammo when I purchased.
It is a 9mm s&w m&p compact

I highly recommend getting some formal handgun training, at least a beginner handgun and defensive handgun 1 level classes. More is better, but you owe it to yourself and others to do the first two. It will drastically improve your ability to use a handgun effectively in a defensive encounter and, more importantly, your level of safety in handling firearms! Before I acquired formal training, I didn't know what I didn't know...

I highly recommend getting some formal handgun training, at least a beginner handgun and defensive handgun 1 level classes. More is better, but you owe it to yourself and others to do the first two. It will drastically improve your ability to use a handgun effectively in a defensive encounter and, more importantly, your level of safety in handling firearms! Before I acquired formal training, I didn't know what I didn't know...

Do you have any suggestions on a good place to get some training?

Here is what you need!

Not sure how the virus response may be effecting his schedule right now, but Donavan Beard with Defensive Firearms Instruction is a great place to start. Worth the drive from Tigard if you don't find something closer. I haven't trained with anyone in the PDX area, but can attest that Donavan is the real deal regarding both knowledge, and a strong emphasis on safety.

Thanks @Ura-Ki, Steve at Cerberus Group is also a good trainer, but he and Donavan have very different approaches. It might be good to try both and see which one works best for you, but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Issue is right now everywhere is closed. Others correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the training centers and ranges I've attended are currently closed. Looks like you're in Tigard. When the orders are lifted look into Threat Dynamics, good stuff over there and the virtual simulator is fun/useful. I took some classes at the Clackamas Public Safety Training Center - very professional and attentive with the goal of coaching you into a better/safer shooter.

You're going to acquire a weapon in a strange time. My personal opinion and belief is that in the coming months and year we're going to see a lot of people go down for illegal concealment, not to mention an increase in "accidents" - quotes because with proper training and storage there should be no accident. Point in case - don't be a statistic.

Cheers.

Interesting. I've filled out three 4473s since the panic happened and went through instantly each time. Even bypassed nearly a thousand people who were in line from the previous day

I see it as......

The delays are the Govt's way of F@^*ing with our RIGHTS. Thank You Government. Rrrrright.......

i-m-from-the-government-i-m-here-to-help.png

and

your-rights-end-where-my-feelings-begin.jpg

A RIGHT delayed, is actually a RIGHT DENIED.
So next, you many/might end up wondering..... WHY???

But you'll figure it out. Rrrrright.....according to many.......the 2nd A actually says......

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable.

Cough, cough....

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class