JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No not for me...
You can't eat diamonds , they don't keep you warm...you gotta protect them ...and trying to sell / trade them , in a SHTF situation may make things worse for you.
Andy
100% has always been my feelings as well with gold, ect. But, more recently I'm thinking, what about after SHTF. In the recovery, what will the dollar be worth and what will precious metals or stones be worth? Not necessarily day to day trading. I think bullets or dried foods will be worth a lot.

I don't have any personal use or anyone close to me talking about it. But I see how to use them now (too late?). I had a HS teacher going on and on about gold in 1982. Gold was about $375. The only thing I remember from him.

100% has always been my feelings as well with gold, ect. But, more recently I'm thinking, what about after SHTF. In the recovery, what will the dollar be worth and what will precious metals or stones be worth? Not necessarily day to day trading. I think bullets or dried foods will be worth a lot.

I don't have any personal use or anyone close to me talking about it. But I see how to use them now (too late?). I had a HS teacher going on and on about gold in 1982. Gold was about $375. The only thing I remember from him.
YEP! There is often "confusion" about money invested, and money used for TEOTWAWKI kind of stuff. If all breaks down? Yes metals and jewels would be of little to no value compared to things like ammo. As for saving for just saving? Different thing. I have been buying Silver at $500 a pop for a while when I work some extra time. Rather than dumping the cash into savings and watching it go down in value as we print more money to give away. Wife has looked at me with that eye roll a couple times when she see's it come in. I just shrug and tell her it will never be worth nothing and if I drop it in the bank it loses value. One of her Co workers saw me open the last package and was confused about it too. Saying how would I turn it back into cash if I wanted. Told her just like cashing a check. Bunch of places I can walk in and sell it at spot price for cash any time I want. May end up losing a few bucks some day on it but if I bank it I know for sure it will lose value. So why not. If the price goes nuts again I will I am sure sell it. Then again be left with what the hell to do with the cash if I am not ready to buy something.

So you plan to take the Mormon's food?
When Y2K was getting close and all the panic, Wife started to fall for some of it. Started showing me articles about people buying food in lots that would fill a truck. I kept telling her to relax, we were fine. I did not believe all was going to fall apart but, if it did those people with a truck load of food who were snow flakes? They would feed us to protect that pile of food they bought while they did not believe in guns. :cool:

When Y2K was getting close and all the panic, Wife started to fall for some of it. Started showing me articles about people buying food in lots that would fill a truck. I kept telling her to relax, we were fine. I did not believe all was going to fall apart but, if it did those people with a truck load of food who were snow flakes? They would feed us to protect that pile of food they bought while they did not believe in guns. :cool:
And what would you have done if
A: Y2K did go south
and
B: Those folks didn't want your help?

And what would you have done if
A: Y2K did go south
and
B: Those folks didn't want your help?
We always have a good month or so of stuff here in case we ever see the big shake that they keep telling us will one day hit. As long as the house does not fall down we will be fine. If Y2K had really shut the system down? Do you know where I live and the amount of people here who will not own a gun? I VERY much doubt some would not be begging for help as roving gangs foraged for food. I am FAR more worried about the great shake which is not just fantasy. That probably will happen here. Just a matter of when. The Gov will get here with "help" but, we have all seen how slow they move. They will not be here the next day and there will be full blown panic. I will feed mine and those who wish to loot? They will find snowflakes to loot from not me :s0092:

We always have a good month or so of stuff here in case we ever see the big shake that they keep telling us will one day hit. As long as the house does not fall down we will be fine. If Y2K had really shut the system down? Do you know where I live and the amount of people here who will not own a gun? I VERY much doubt some would not be begging for help as roving gangs foraged for food. I am FAR more worried about the great shake which is not just fantasy. That probably will happen here. Just a matter of when. The Gov will get here with "help" but, we have all seen how slow they move. They will not be here the next day and there will be full blown panic. I will feed mine and those who wish to loot? They will find snowflakes to loot from not me :s0092:
I worked for Pacific Bell last century and we took Y2K very seriously as did our colleagues at Pacific Gas & Electric. Alot of money and time was spent making sure we were good to go for the new year. Because of the hubbub at work, I went hook line and sinker. Of course, most if not all of the stuff I bought was also good for any other cataclysmic event, nonetheless, I felt a like a chump for all the wasted effort.
re: Cascadia event I was at a seminar about that a couple years back. The I-5 bridge will be in the Columbia River and the 205 Bridge only has a slight chance of survival. Therefore it was advised that we have a minimum 3 weeks of food, water and meds. That was a big jump up from the old advice of prepping to be on our own for 72 hours.
Seattle-Olympia corridor and Portland will get all the aid and support out the outset of the disaster.

I worked for Pacific Bell last century and we took Y2K very seriously as did our colleagues at Pacific Gas & Electric. Alot of money and time was spent making sure we were good to go for the new year. Because of the hubbub at work, I went hook line and sinker. Of course, most if not all of the stuff I bought was also good for any other cataclysmic event, nonetheless, I felt a like a chump for all the wasted effort.
re: Cascadia event I was at a seminar about that a couple years back. The I-5 bridge will be in the Columbia River and the 205 Bridge only has a slight chance of survival. Therefore it was advised that we have a minimum 3 weeks of food, water and meds. That was a big jump up from the old advice of prepping to be on our own for 72 hours.
Seattle-Olympia corridor and Portland will get all the aid and support out the outset of the disaster.
Yep, if the big shake happens while I am alive it will be interesting to watch. Now and then we have a decent storm up here and the stores get wiped out. Many just have no clue. If we lose the infrastructure stores that can open will be stripped clean. Then waiting for FEMA? People will riot since they can do nothing else. Wife comes from a LARGE family. Bunch of them live up this way. ALL of them are heavily anti gun. They think we are kooks. If we have the big shake up here they will I am sure all be at our property begging to come in and stay with the kooks. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top