JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot of those don't pay enough attention to the fundamentals to really be secure IME, but it's easy to paint with an overwide brush on this. If the bootloader isn't launched by a properly written and signed executable, everything that happens after that, which is almost everything, can't really be secured. That's just one way to break in.

Recently GRUB2 had a serious flaw that would allow more-than-root access to basically any machine that used it. That's all it takes.

Agreed. I also read about that GRUB2 vulnerability a few weeks ago - scary stuff.

This is one facet of the thing. In this case, Microsoft literally holds the keys that enable secure boot. No matter what OS we choose to ride above it, those signing credentials determine which binaries are trusted on a PC. Other platforms either have similar systems with trust placed in the OEM, or no secure boot system.

It's pretty much the nature of 21st century tech.

All opting out of the commercial ecosystem does IMO is maybe deny a small, specific set of corporations access to data they can profit from. As far as actual functional privacy or security, not much is gained. If I'm not interesting, no one cares, if I am, they will get info unless I take truly extreme measures. It's my opinion (so take that for what it cost) that a far better measure of guarding identity is what a person who knows our real name and city of residence can dig up with a few quick web searches.

I am trying to find the health tab on my phone. Does anybody no where it is on this model:

images.jpeg

In the meantime, we're #1 in covid cases and deaths. But who needs another tool to help us not be the worst? ;)
rome is burning yet we quibble over conspiracies and paranoia

We're actually #10 in deaths per capita but don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.
#1 in total number of deaths, and yes, #10 in deaths per capita. #1 in spending for healthcare, but sure, whatever you say too. It was mostly preventable (and we sure aren't doing much to change the trajectory) is my point. Genuinely sad. But so much winning comes at a cost, I suppose? It baffles the mind, but I guess muh freedom is paramount.

The MSM conveniently leaves that out.
The way it's going Brazil is going to knock us out of the top 10 pretty soon, and the places that didn't get hit hard seem to get a big new wave every time they try to go back to work. Some researchers believe Sweden, the US, and a few other places might actually be approaching herd immunity now due to some factors but you won't see THAT in the headlines either.

The way it's going Brazil is going to knock us out of the top 10 pretty soon, and the places that didn't get hit hard seem to get a big new wave every time they try to go back to work. Some researchers believe Sweden, the US, and a few other places might actually be approaching herd immunity now due to some factors but you won't see THAT in the headlines either.
Source?
everything I've read on herd immunity is that about 70% of the population needs to be infected. Which would mean about 12 million dead at a 3% fatality rate in the us. Not really headline material in my eyes.

everything I've read on herd immunity
So, the actual fatality rate for those who are infected is something like 0.26% or so, last I checked. So even if we needed 70% infection rate the death toll would be less than 600K, which is a lot, but nothing near 12,000,000. However, some people seem to be exhibiting a thing called T-cell immunity, which likely reduces the proportion required for effective herd immunity. In the case of this plague, estimates range from 40% up. Improved treatments are making it less deadly, so we might not be that far off. If you look at the trend lines I linked earlier the trend is pretty clear.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top