JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Once the 1,000 signatures was obtain, and that really should be pretty easy, I wonder if we could get the NRA, OFF, GOA, etc., involved. Their ability to reach pro-2A folks could make a huge difference in getting to the needed 88,000.

It's only 88,000 if all you want is a statute. What you really want is to make the Oregon Constitution unambiguous. That requires a higher signature threshold, but if we could pass a revision of the Oregon Constitution, then the legislature would have a devilishly difficult time trying to gut it.

Modifies and Clarifies Article 1, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution to Read:

"The people shall have the [UNQUESTIONABLE] right to [KEEP AND] bear [ANY] arms [WITHOUT NEED OF ANY PERMIT OR LICENSE, IN ANY PLACE THEY MAY BE WITHIN THE STATE, WHICH ARE NOT "SENSITIVE SITES," AS OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE, INCLUDING KEEPING AND/OR BEARING, ANY AND ALL FORMS OF FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, AND ACCESSORIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINES HOLDING ANY NUMBER OF CARTRIDGES, LEGALLY FOR SALE IN THIS OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION WITHIN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,] for the [defense] of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power[.]

[THIS RIGHT OF THE INDIVIDUAL CITIZENS OF OREGON SHALL NEVER BE CONSTRUED TO PERMIT ANY FORM OF FIREARMS REGISTRATION, CONFISCATION, CONTRABAND DECLARATIONS, OR ANY OTHER OWNERSHIP OR POSSESSION LIMITATIONS INCONSISTENT WITH JUDICIAL DUE PROCESS FOR INDIVIDUAL VIOLATIONS OF THE CRIMINAL STATUTES OF THE STATE REGARDING THE MISUSE OF ARMS. FURTHERMORE, NO ARMAMENTS IN THIS STATE, NO MATTER HOW DEFINED, SHALL EVER BE SUBJECT TO A CIVIL CONFISCATION, OR MANDATED "BUY BACKS," WITHOUT THE PAYMENT OF FULL MARKET VALUE BEING OFFERED BY THE STATE FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL ITEM AS DETERMINED BY A SURVEY AVERAGE OF VALUMENTS FOR SAID ARMS AFTER A SAMPLE IS TAKEN FROM A MINIMUM OF 35 OTHER STATES.]

It's only 88,000 if all you want is a statute. What you really want is to make the Oregon Constitution unambiguous. That requires a higher signature threshold, but if we could pass a revision of the Oregon Constitution, then the legislature would have a devilishly difficult time trying to gut it.

Modifies and Clarifies Article 1, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution to Read:

"The people shall have the [UNQUESTIONABLE] right to [KEEP AND] bear [ANY] arms [WITHOUT NEED OF ANY PERMIT OR LICENSE, IN ANY PLACE THEY MAY BE WITHIN THE STATE, WHICH ARE NOT "SENSITIVE SITES," AS OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE, INCLUDING KEEPING AND/OR BEARING, ANY AND ALL FORMS OF FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, AND ACCESSORIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINES HOLDING ANY NUMBER OF CARTRIDGES, LEGALLY FOR SALE IN THIS OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION WITHIN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,] for the [defense] of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power[.]

[THIS RIGHT OF THE INDIVIDUAL CITIZENS OF OREGON SHALL NEVER BE CONSTRUED TO PERMIT ANY FORM OF FIREARMS REGISTRATION, CONFISCATION, CONTRABAND DECLARATIONS, OR ANY OTHER OWNERSHIP OR POSSESSION LIMITATIONS INCONSISTENT WITH JUDICIAL DUE PROCESS FOR INDIVIDUAL VIOLATIONS OF THE CRIMINAL STATUTES OF THE STATE REGARDING THE MISUSE OF ARMS. FURTHERMORE, NO ARMAMENTS IN THIS STATE, NO MATTER HOW DEFINED, SHALL EVER BE SUBJECT TO A CIVIL CONFISCATION, OR MANDATED "BUY BACKS," WITHOUT THE PAYMENT OF FULL MARKET VALUE BEING OFFERED BY THE STATE FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL ITEM AS DETERMINED BY A SURVEY AVERAGE OF VALUMENTS FOR SAID ARMS AFTER A SAMPLE IS TAKEN FROM A MINIMUM OF 35 OTHER STATES.]

Change the highlighted wording and elaborate a bit more, because you'd see so many "sensitive sites" pop up out of thin air you'd be relegated to walking a straight line on a curb six miles from nowhere.

Ya gotta think like a useless, power-hungry, back-stabbing weasle when you start drafting legalese. ;)

So, what is the next step? Should we reach out to Ms. Perkins? Alternatively craft and file our own?

I believe there is great value in consolidating efforts. We should get everyone on board with one initiative, and any revisions can come out of the collective expertise of this community as well as anyone versed in practicing law that can tidy up the wording, and Ms. Perkins would have those contacts.

It cannot hurt to have every one of us to send an email to [email protected] and tell them you're interested in helping however you can. In my own message, I did mention that there is quite a few of us over at Northwest Firearms that are interested and that they will likely be getting in touch as well. However, it might make sense to have some sort of official coordinator (perhaps a member of the Staff here?) that can serve as a point of contact for the group.

@Voidshot9, agreed, totally. We need to be focused, have one effort, and throw all of our might behind said. Will it be perfect? No, there is no such thing. But if we harness our numbers, our resources, and, most importantly, our will, we can make this happen. It is time to stop being on the defensive all the time and push back. Let's do this.

There is 115K Members in the Oregonians Against "Assault Weapons Ban" facebook page.

And I agree, If we have an actual initiative, something tangible to get behind, it will be much easier to get gun owners moving.

@Voidshot9, agreed, totally. We need to be focused, have one effort, and throw all of our might behind said. Will it be perfect? No, there is no such thing. But if we harness our numbers, our resources, and, most importantly, our will, we can make this happen. It is time to stop being on the defensive all the time and push back. Let's do this.

By the way, since I am already in contact with the NRA Grassroots Field Coordinator for this region (Ben Carpenter) I'm going to see if the Grassroots office is already aware of Jo Rae Perkins proposal for this new Counter Attack for IP43. It could be that the NRA-ILA will have quite a bit of resources to dedicate toward something like this, legal, financial, and otherwise.

By the way, since I am already in contact with the NRA Grassroots Field Coordinator for this region (Ben Carpenter) I'm going to see if the Grassroots office is already aware of Jo Rae Perkins proposal for this new Counter Attack for IP43. It could be that the NRA-ILA will have quite a bit of resources to dedicate toward something like this, legal, financial, and otherwise.

Great idea! Let us know what comes of it. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads