1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this week -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

corrosion on 308 ammo

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by The Governor, Dec 27, 2013.

1. The Governor

The Governor salem Member

I have some 308 ammo that has some kinda blackish & greenish spots of what I think is corrosion on the brass(some of which I have cleaned up) & I need to find a gunsmith or professional in or near my area(salem oregon) that would be willing to take a little time to look at my ammo in person & give some info &/professional opinion about whether this ammo would be safe to shoot.
  2. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

Non-professional opinion: black is usually not a problem, but I wouldn't shoot anything that has green corrosion. Black is a mild tarnish but green is actually an oxidation of the metals in the brass. This would cause the brass to be weaker in the area where the corrosion occurs. You might get away with it; or you might not. To me, it's not worth the risk.