JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always had the hee-bee-jee-bees about using water to clean guns. Seems counter intuitive right? But blackpowder and corrossive really is not a problem. I use boiling water from a tea kettle. Evaporates immediately. Put good CLP on top and good to go.

Somebody mislabeled some imported ammo as "Non Corrosive." Imagine your surprise when you thought you shot non-corrosive ammo, put the gun away dirty. Then the next shooting outing, the gun is rusted up solid,, :eek:

I don't usually shoot corrosive, but when the manufacturer lies to you,,, :mad:

Using hot water helps the water to evaporate out of the guns nooks and crannies. So you don't get rust that way too,,,

It's a good question. I used to shoot surplus, but most of it was Berdan primed and not reloadable, so my savings was really moot. I finally said the heck with surplus ammo and bought brass and reloading dies. I now make better ammo than the surplus ever was, it's more reliable, and I'm not scrapping perfectly good brass because it's got two holes and not one, nor am I importing goods from thousands of miles away when I could buy US-made ammo or components locally.

Dawn usually contains salt.

Humm....never found it to be a problem. Then again, I don't "load" the Dawn into the dish water. A little squirt is all that is needed.

Maybe, it's also helpful to mention a hot water rinse off. A complete drying off of the parts. And a final wipe down of all metal parts with oil to finish the job.

I've found no problems when cleaning my AK47s, AK74s and Mosin Nagants this way.

Aloha, Mark

Yeah, the salt ain't good, but it's severely lessened in causing issues if you really rinse it off clean, that has to be the important part.

I remember hearing something about the Israelis using a bunch of old dishwashers to clean there UZI's and other weapons after a training day! They would just spray down all parts with a light oil and put away. I guess the dish washers would dry the guns pretty quickly after the wash! A little Dawn ill do ya!

I'm looked and found few ways of cleaning fire arms after shooting old corrosive surplus ammo. Wondering which actually work. I'll be shooting a cz52. Thanks..

i shoot a lot of corrosive ammo including a cz52 which i just washed with hot water in the sink then dried it offer really good and then oiled the heck out if never bore stayed shiny and clean.

I have also used hopps #9 as well.

so probably the best thing to do is rinse with warm water then dry then use hopps #9 then oil

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top