JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, immediate cleaning is what's required for corrosive usage, the corrosiveness (i believe) is caused by the chemical composition of the primer (essentially leaves salt deposits), so neutralising it immediately should stop the rusting caused.

Bathing your parts in soapy water will neutralise the problem, but i find that just using a modern gun cleaner is easier and it will do the same thing. Pretty much any water based cleaner will do it, so MPro7 or the under license from them version labelled as Hoppe's Elite etc.

warm soapy water is the best

I don't even use soap i use the hose followed by the usual cleaning and usually with hopps#9

Hopps # 9 alone will not remove all the salts unless i suppose If you runs several patches of it through it will and I have on occasion just used it alone and didn't have any issues but that was with a chrome lined barrel.

Hopps #9+ is suppose to be good for corrosive ammo but i have never tried it

windex works too for a quick fix but because its 90% water that dissolves the salt but it helps with copper fouling because of the ammonia but I have read it should not be left in there for long periods of time so you have to wash out the windex

its funny when we hear corrosive we think skull and cross bones and acid but all it is is salts and the salts absorb and hold moisture thus causing rust. oil and most cleaners will not neutrolize it and a basic cleaning with oil based chemicals may not get all of the salt out . water is the best and cheapest it dissolves it and rinses it out but then you have to dry it and oil it. remember to make sure to clean the oil out of your barrel before you shoot it.

Last Edited:
Plenty of good advices here already, I take my M1 out maybe once every couple of years and I have shot corrosive in it. There is nothing magic about my cleaning solvent 50/50 hoppes and kroil. I do put 10 soaking wet patches down the boar and have never had a issue with corrosion in 15 years of owning my Garand, I guess I have just been lucky.

I swab the bore in the field w/ammonia and water, when I get it home I pour hot water down the bore, chamber, action, gas port, everything then a good cleaning followed by more hot water and an oil down

I really wouldn't use hot water......

You're not trying to use the water to dissolve the salt, you're using it to flush it out, you use cold because, for want of a better term, it stops the salt 'activating' - rust is what we want to remove here, and the best condition to induce rust is; wet, warm and salty.

Here's my question.
Why even shoot corrosive ammo when non corrosive is available?
Somebody mislabeled some imported ammo as "Non Corrosive." Imagine your surprise when you thought you shot non-corrosive ammo, put the gun away dirty. Then the next shooting outing, the gun is rusted up solid,, :eek:

I don't usually shoot corrosive, but when the manufacturer lies to you,,, :mad:

Using hot water helps the water to evaporate out of the guns nooks and crannies. So you don't get rust that way too,,,

It's a bad trade off, i would recommend not using hot water, use compressed air or at that point, go ahead and use your CLP or whatever lubrication you intend to use, that will be far more effective at driving out water and won't run the risk of inducing rust.

Plenty of good advices here already, I take my M1 out maybe once every couple of years and I have shot corrosive in it. There is nothing magic about my cleaning solvent 50/50 hoppes and kroil. I do put 10 soaking wet patches down the boar and have never had a issue with corrosion in 15 years of owning my Garand, I guess I have just been lucky.
The gas tube and op rod of the M-1 also needs to be cleaned!
I have some corrosive ammo I shoot in an old Mauser. What I do as soon as I get home I flush the barrel with hot soapy water and then hot water. I have a long neck funnel I stick in the chamber end of the rifle. Then I swab the bore with several patches of Hoppes #9. This solvent lists on it's label for mildly corrosive primers. Ammo that has corrosive powder is a whole different procedure.

You are absolutely right, I didn't detail out every aspect of the cleaning routine. I use a gas cylinder wrench to remove my garand gear gear plug and it comes out of the stock, when corrosive ammo has been used.

For me............

When I get home from the range. I'll use a hot soapy (Dawn Dish Soap) water scrub down to clean up the firearm. Followed by a wipe down (compressed air, helps) to dry it completely and oily patches/rags for rust prevention.

Done.

If you'd like to remove some of the copper fouling in the bore. You could include a scrubbing with Hoppe's 9 after the hot soapy water scrub. Then, follow with your usual routine.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Windex at the range followed by hot soapy water at home.

I take a coffee can with hot soapy water and place muzzle in. Draw it up with patches from the breach suction pumping the bore.

I've been doing bolt guns like this for 30 years rust free.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top