JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With all due respect CP, you seem to be hypocritical and ignorant of police procedures.

First, I believe you are being hypocritical because you are obviously an aviator. You seem to be insinuating that all the fault lay with the police department. You seem to be unable to accept that there was wrong doing on the part of the FAA and possibly the pilots. If the owner of the plane had already been detained because of this issue, he should have made damn sure it didn't happen again. Perhaps request a new N-number? Perhaps follow through that the information had been cleared up, especially in jurisdictions he planned on flying through? Not entirely his fault, but he gets to share some responsibility. And the fact that he is wealthy doesn't put him above these things.

Second, you seem to be ignorant of police procedures. While it is reasonable that information received from a questionable source should be double checked, why would they double check information received from a federal agency? An agency who they probably suspected checked the information before passing it on. Perhaps (actually, likely) some of the blame lays with the El Paso Intelligence Center for not double checking. The police had no reason to believe that the information they received from a reliable source was incorrect. As for treating the situation differently once they saw the occupants of the plane, criminals come in all shapes and sizes. Not believing that will get an officer dead.

And one last observation. As to your comment about the hijacking frequency. If you know this, and are obviously willing to talk about it on the internet, I expect that its public knowledge. And if you know this, and now we know this, don't you figure that a hijacker could know that as well? Perhaps keep the pilot from jacking with his frequencies?

No personal attacks on you CP. You are passionate about this. I understand. Do understand however, that there are those of us that are equally passionate about law enforcement. We see things from the blue side of things and tend to judge them differently. No wrong, not right. Not better, not worse. Just different. The bottom line in this situation is that no one was hurt. The aviators went home. The officers went home. And hopefully the publicity this has received will insure that things will be fixed.

Contract_Pilot,

I was going to ask if you have ever served in the service or something of that nature but I would guess that from your last post about taking fire you have.... You seem to blame to Police officers for acting on information that they were given from a federal agency.... Why bash the officers for doing their job and responding accordingly?? Or would you prefer that they responded with .... what?

I am sure that if anyone has ever served a day in their life wether in the Military or Law Enforcement they would know that when you are given information you act on it, and you act on it with the safety of civilians and "coworkers" in mind. Those of you that like to bash Police about being to "aggressive" especially in this case, have you ever gone on a ride along? I invite you to. While your at it, if a call comes across about a stolen vehicle in that area I encourage you to tell the Officer that you have it covered.

I am aware of what the FAR AIM says about hijack and intercept. Im aware of what some airline company procedures are.

What I am not aware of is DHS's procedures for a hijack in flight. I would suspect the red button on the F-15 goes hot a heck of alot sooner than it did before 2001. I would also suspect the button gets pushed pretty quick if the plane doesnt respond (the time scale probably changes with the size/speed/range from sensitive areas assuming the on duty guy knows the diff between a Boeing Steerman and a Boeing 747). The end point being the FAA regs tell you what to do but DHS doesnt play by the same rule book.

I asked some people that I know in the field of LE about this topic and this is what I was told: When information comes in from the Feds concerning something like this the local Dept responds like they would in any other case of a felony stop (as you see in the pics earlier in the thread). The dispatcher will also compare information recieved from the feds to the NCIC database. If a discrepencey should arise the Dispatcher will inturn notify the Feds of the situation and will work with them to find out what the problem is and why it is that way. In the mean time to ensure everyone's (including driver,pilot and pasengers and officers) safety a Felony stop is the protocol and will remain in effect until the situation is resolved.

Hope this helps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads