JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was browsing through the ATF website, it seems like it is possible to convert a semi auto rifle to full auto with a conversion kit as long as you have prior approval from the ATF to make it.

Anyone legally convert a AR15 to full auto ?? Would love to hear some info if you did.

thanks

Yes and no. There is NO legal way for a private party to legally make an AR-15 into a full auto. This happened in 1986, Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are Drop In Auto Sears aka DIAS's and Lightning Links aka LL's which are considered the Machine Gun and are their OWN registered part. You can legally use one of these registered parts in an AR-15 to make the shoot full auto. The AR-15 stays an AR-15 and the Registered part stays the registered part. Last time I looked either ran about $10,000 but might be down a bit right now.

Also your location shows WA and while Silencers, DD's and AOW are legal MG, SBS and SBR are not legal.

Here is a link that describes NFA basics, GunBroker.com Message Forums - Basic NFA FAQ (update 4-6-11)

While I am not completly abreast of WA state laws, it is my understanding that it is no longer possible to transfer a machinegun either into WA state or even between WA residents.

Latest prices on the Machine Gun Price Guide show RDIAS at ~$16k and LL's at ~$7.5k. It is interesting also to note the volume of sales figures also noted in the chart. It is a perfect example of diminishing supply and increasing demand.

I just read up some on this, and it turn out if you find (and can afford) a fullauto rifle built AND registered BEFORE may -86 ANYBODY can own in all states without any class 3 license or nothing..!

Probably can't afford one though...

I just read up some on this, and it turn out if you find (and can afford) a fullauto rifle built AND registered BEFORE may -86 ANYBODY can own in all states without any class 3 license or nothing..!

Per Federal law you are right. Washington will not allow you to acquire one though.
Move to Oregon or Idaho if you have any hope of ever owning one personally without an SOT.

You need to seriously recheck your facts. None of what you just said is true. GunBroker.com Message Forums - Basic NFA FAQ (update 4-6-11)

For private sales ONLY guns made AND registered before 1986 would be legal to own under Federal law. If you do find one and choose to buy you are still required to do the proper NFA paperwork (most likely a Form 4), pay your tax and wait for approval. Of course your state has to allow it as well and WA is one that does NOT allow it. Depending on what you buy legal full auto starts about $3000.

There is NO legal way for a private party to legally make an AR-15 into a full auto.

That's not entirely true. A private individual can manufacture a machinegun on an ATF Form 1 if they are an authorized Department of Energy contractor. They can also purchase post sample machineguns.
A private individual can also manufacture a machinegun on an ATF Form 1 if it's being manufactured on behalf of a Goverment agency. It would also be tax free. (see box 1, options b & c on the ATF Form 1).
Not done very often these days, but used to be done a lot back in the day when there were less dealers around.

That's not entirely true. A private individual can manufacture a machinegun on an ATF Form 1 if they are an authorized Department of Energy contractor. They can also purchase post sample machineguns.
A private individual can also manufacture a machinegun on an ATF Form 1 if it's being manufactured on behalf of a Goverment agency. It would also be tax free. (see box 1, options b & c on the ATF Form 1).
Not done very often these days, but used to be done a lot back in the day when there were less dealers around.

Good post. Of course a sane person wonders why the hell the DOE has any need to be involved with machine guns? Our government is broken and beyond hope. :confused:

Ok, so maybe poor wording for my post. But as you state it might be a private party making it, but it is still not for their or private use. It is a private guy that has authorization from the government to make guns for the "government".

No worries, was just pointing out some obscurities.
In the case of a DOE contractor, they're actually making machineguns for their business. If they're a sole proprietor (which I doubt any of them are) they would in fact be able to retain it personally as long as they hold a DOE contract.

There's also other exemptions - individuals such as Paris Theodore, of 7 trees holster and ASP pistol fame. He was basically the gadget gun manufacturer for the DoD/CIA. I saw a copy of the love letter his son had from the the ATF that stated that Paris was "exempt from all provisions of the National Firearms Act" Get this he was based in NYC too of all places!

Ok, so maybe poor wording for my post. But as you state it might be a private party making it, but it is still not for their or private use. It is a private guy that has authorization from the government to make guns for the "government".

Even being an SOT payer is not enough. You are also required to provide a reason for acquisition in accordance with exemption allowed by WA state law 9.41.190.

(b) A person, including an employee of such person if the employee has undergone fingerprinting and a background check, who or which is exempt from or licensed under federal law, and engaged in the production, manufacture, repair, or testing of machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top