JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Medic has it nailed, Oregon revised statutes 166. And 260.
Place you rifle unloaded in a case behind the seat of the truck. Tell any Law enforcement agent you are going hunting or coming back from hunting. In that instance you are legal according to my LEO kinfolk. Common sense applies.

Last Edited:
It has been my understanding that there was an "affirmative defense" by the qualifications of going to or from hunting, fishing, or target shooting. That quoted from my dim memory of laws that may not even exist anymore. "Affirmative Defense" was explained to me by someone who plays a real lawyer in real life as a legal clause saying you can be arrested, but the judge is bound by the clause to CONSIDER your affirmative defense.

Loaded? Hmmm. Any answer from me would be prejudiced, having been raised where a loaded rifle in a pickup truck was at least as important as air in the tires.

I was told by our county Sheriff when I renewed my CHL that if you leave someone in your vehicle with the concealed firearm and don't take that firearm, that person must also have a CHL to be legal
LEOs are the worst source of legal advice there is, except maybe random internet people.

People with CHL's must also consider any passenger they may have in their truck with them.

(b)Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or -

Note: I am not a lawyer. This is not advise.
This thread led me to look up the loophole in the ATV/OHV statute:

ORS 821.240:
(1)A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2)Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(a)A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun;
Notice the use of the word "firearm" and not "handgun" in ORS 821.240. The statute is dealing ALL firearms, and then exempts anyone with a CHL from compliance with the statute as written. That would include long guns of all types. I'm sure the legislature didn't mean to do that, but they failed to specifically exempt handguns ONLY.

"Handgun"

rifle ≠ handgun
CHL does not factor
so clearly labeled on my Oregon license...
OREGON CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE.
no mention of a rifle

(b)POSSESSES a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to THE person within any vehicle; or

Clearly this applies to the person who is in possession of the firearm. Otherwise it should be worded

"(b)Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to A [or ANY] person within any vehicle; or"

DISCLAIMER: Although I attended law school I am not an attorney. My legal opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them.
Thanks ZigZag for your input.
I guess this makes it illegal to keep in a glove box, while the wife is in passenger seat, and I am driving?

Just my 2¢... YMMV

It's always been my understanding that in WA or OR a loaded rifle in the car is illegal, even when hunting which makes guns with a detachable mag very desirable to me.

Or a pistol AR or AK... (ideal since your CPL/CHL covers it as a pistol and it's got a standard 30 round mag vs 6-8? in a lever 30-30)

Last thought is I try not to put hard to reaquire or expensive guns in my vehicles.

I used to take along my AK rifle with loaded mags (Trunk Monkey) but I'm leaning more towards a short shotgun. Still handy, with a little practice you can single load the chamber very quickly or load the mag if you have time and they are cheap and reliable. Plus slugs or 00 Buckshot packs plenty of punch if that's what you need.

***Ive been pulled over numerous times, never cited, and the officers never asked if I had a gun in my car/truck so I take the don't ask don't tell route - personal choice there but I'm always polite and make sure my keys stay on the dash and my hands on the top of the wheel with all windows rolled down so there's less stress on the Officers that I may be a possible problem.

Well, looks like I'll place my old 18 inch long, single shot 12ga behind the seat, with 3 inch rounds handy to load. Take too dang long to load a 30-30. If things are really bad I'll have my mini-14 back there with loaded mags handy. :)

PS, an unloaded rifle is a club. Just saying ;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads