JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like an OK idea, except for the threat of theft.
Also depending how you store/secure the rifle it may not be readily accessible if you need it in a hurry.
Did you have a specific question you wanted to ask or just looking for other opinions?

I was just wondering. Won't leave it in the PU. Just in case I need something rather high powered. I like my ol' 30-30. Shoots straight and true. Pretty good punch too. It was built in the 40's. Thanks to all for the reply. May Freedom Ring!

Medic,
The only person that rides in my PU with me is my wife. She's 63 and has never even received a driving ticket. If anyone other than my wife were to ride along with me, they could not get to the 30-30 unless I stopped, got out and pulled the seat forward to get at the rifle. Is that what you were getting at?

Medic,
The only person that rides in my PU with me is my wife. She's 63 and has never even received a driving ticket. If anyone other than my wife were to ride along with me, they could not get to the 30-30 unless I stopped, got out and pulled the seat forward to get at the rifle. Is that what you were getting at?
As I read it, if I have a CC in my possession, and I'm in a vehicle with my firearm, I'm good. despite whos in the truck with me. My lady is with me often, she's with me, pistol is in truck. I feel we are good. Now if she drove it w/o me, and the pistol is in there, different story. I think its mixed bag...firearm/handgun.
Also google says...

Oregon CCW laws
Carrying of a concealed firearm is prohibited by ORS 166.250, however holders of a valid Concealed Handgun License are exempt from this law. ... However, Oregon law allows a city or county to regulate open carry of loaded firearms in public places, but holders of concealed carry permits are exempt.

I was just wondering. Won't leave it in the PU. Just in case I need something rather high powered. I like my ol' 30-30. Shoots straight and true. Pretty good punch too. It was built in the 40's. Thanks to all for the reply. May Freedom Ring!

I like your style! I have a Winchester 94 short rifle and its handy, points fast, and makes a statement on the receiving end!

People with CHL's must also consider any passenger they may have in their truck with them.

(b)Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or -

Note: I am not a lawyer. This is not advise.

(b)POSSESSES a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to THE person within any vehicle; or

Clearly this applies to the person who is in possession of the firearm. Otherwise it should be worded

"(b)Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to A [or ANY] person within any vehicle; or"

Can someone be in possession if they don't even know it's there? And if I'M in possession of a firearm how can anyone else be in possession of it?

I would imagine that there are LEOs who would try to stretch this pretty broadly, but I think a court would take the narrow view.

DISCLAIMER: Although I attended law school I am not an attorney. My legal opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them.

Last Edited:
I was told by our county Sheriff when I renewed my CHL that if you leave someone in your vehicle with the concealed firearm and don't take that firearm, that person must also have a CHL to be legal

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top