JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
you need a new holster not a new gun

go out and start trying on holsters for your xd

if you get a good holster it will make all the diff

BTW if you dont look at the price and think what a ripoff keep lookin

I might suggest first finding the gun you are comfortable with....and THEN figuring out how you might go about carrying it.

As you know, the smaller guns, like the LCP pose few problems with any kind of carry. Pocket carry is easy with nearly any smaller gun under about 16-20 oz or so. So this would include the alloy J frame revolvers, the subcompact autos, like the PM9 and the traditional .32 and .380's like the Colt 1908 and the PPK. These become even easier and more comfortable with belt carry. There are lots of decent-enough and cheap pocket holsters for small guns.

With belt carry, a very stiff belt is essential. A 1 1/4" belt is about the minimum and that kind of belt can go well with almost any attire from jeans to dress slacks. I prefer Horsehide, myself. If you never carry in dress clothes, a 5.11 type web belt is probably ok. Above all, don't be stingy on the belt purchase. It really does make all the difference in the world.

With any kind of belt carry, the weight of the pistol becomes less of a critical factor. And, unless you carry appendix, the length of the piece isn't that big of a deal either. You can carry a quite large and heavy pistol with a decent holster on the right kind of stiff belt.

IWB in one fashion or another is probably the most versatile concealment option for belt carry, with the "tuckable" ones lending themselves to a wide range of attire, including tucked in shirts. IWB should not be a problem at all for someone of your body type. I personally insist on thinner guns for IWB (examples: Kahrs, the 1911s, some of the Walthers), rather than the thicker, double column autos such as the Glocks, the BHP, or most revolvers.

That relieves you of the necessity for buying bigger sized pants and having baggy, ill fitting clothing. As a young, and probably single man, that might be important to you. It is definitely important if you are expected to wear business attire. You aren't built like John Goodman....so why dress like him? Hawaiian shirts on men are like tent-dresses on women. Just my opinion, of course, and no offense intended to anyone, including Mr. Goodman. But I stand by my comment, as-is, about the tent-dresses on women.

The pancake OWB's are a close second, if you don't mind wearing shirt-tails-out in summer. And the overall thickness of the gun really doesn't matter as much with OWB. In western Oregon, we can wear fleece vests 7-8 months out of the year, easy. You can easily pack any large pistol, particularly the autos, in a pancake under a fleece vest and feel well concealed. It really is hard to beat the pancakes for concealment with any other kind of OWB system. They allow the piece to hug the body without the waistline-discomfort that IWB sometimes causes. Especially after fun evening of lots of pizza and a little beer. Leather pancakes can be picked up pretty cheap, as well. Nearly every holster maker has one to offer. I prefer the ones with snap-on belt loops rather than the traditional cut slots for the belt. And, if you settle on this style, try to get a good one that is hand-boned leather or kydex. A good pistol to leather fit is essential.

There are a number of good IWB options, depending on whether you choose leather or kydex. For kydex, check out FIST and Comp-tac (among others). For leather, there are many more choices, but start out looking at, say, Milt Sparks and work you way down to Galco or whatever price you can manage. Comp-tac/Minotaur has a nice hybrid of leather and kydex in both IWB and OWB. I like these a lot, myself.

But I would start with the pistol, and then move to the holster.

If you want to get a feel for how particular holster styles ride on you, consider borrowing as many gun/holster combos from friends and wear them around for a few days in the home or somewhere where you feel comfortable. You can spend a fortune finding the "right" holster. I have.

I might suggest first finding the gun you are comfortable with....and THEN figuring out how you might go about carrying it.

<snip>

But I would start with the pistol, and then move to the holster.

If you want to get a feel for how particular holster styles ride on you, consider borrowing as many gun/holster combos from friends and wear them around for a few days in the home or somewhere where you feel comfortable. You can spend a fortune finding the "right" holster. I have.

Wow... great reply. Thank you!

As it stands right now in terms of my clothing... at my job I am somewhat flexible in clothing... Nice jeans with no holes, button down shirt or polo or nice sweater, etc... So I don't wear slacks too often.
The "John Goodman" :s0114: look isn't my favorite... so IWB sounds like the way to go.

As for the carry pistol -- I currently have the Ruger LCP, the Sig P226, and Springfield XD40 (4")... I feel really comfortable with the Sig and Springfield and trust my skills with them... BUT, like you said - pistols with double-stack mags (especially on my size of body) are not the best for IWB holsters.

For the sake of experimenting... I think I might get a Comp-tac, MTAC, and one or two of the others that were mentioned in this thread for my XD40... if I find that it doesn't work well for me I'll sell the holsters and pursue another gun. I am attracted to the 1911s and I also really loved the feel of the Walther PPS in my hand (haven't had a chance to shoot one yet).

I also understand the importance of getting a good belt - luckily that isn't too hard to do and isn't specific to the type of gun I will carry.

So this thread has given me a lot of good information and thoughts... I might also look at some nice'ish pants that have a side-cargo pocket that I could conceal in... we'll see... I've been meaning on changing my image a bit so this could be a good driving force to get me out clothes shopping (I hate shopping in general, but clothes shopping, ugh...)

One of the main marketing/selling points that Walther has been pushing with its PPS(Police Pistol Slim)is its conceal ability-its thinness makes it so.

This review in the June '09 issue of Shooting Illustrated addresses this:

<broken link removed>

The article's author does acknowledge though that the PPS is one ugly gun!

Last Edited:
Hmm...I would say a bag about 6'1" long would work. LOL Ok Ok I had to go there.

Just remember your "CONCEALED CARRY" pistol is a completely different animal from your sport shooting gun, or "Fun Gun." It needs to be fun to shoot, and cheap enough to shoot you can practice all the time with it. Small and comfortable enough you will ALWAYS have it on you and not start leaving it at home. Sit, bend, stoop, kneel, and see how it feels.
People will always give you their opinion on what the "BEST" concealed gun is. Just remember, the BEST GUN is the one you have with you and not in your safe at home.

I have the MTAC holster from Comp-Tac and it is great. I carry my Ruger SR9 without trouble. Today I wore it with just a white t-shirt and it's invisible. I'm 6' 2" and about 180lb. The only time I've had trouble is bending over (I have 4 kids. There's always something I'm bending over to pick up after them:)). The grip will stick up a little bit. Other than that it is extremely comfortable. I've fallen asleep on my couch while carrying. A bit pricey at $80+ but I highly recommend it.

Erik

you look like mostly a jeans guy, but if you maybe want a different idea that I love for shorts too... hhttp://www.handgunholsters.net/index.html

Have you tried this?

I'm not sure I'm staying on topic here, but I am new to concealed carry and some of the points made in this interesting thread raise more questions, to wit:

I use a crossbreed holster with my Smith & Walther 99. Jeans or cargo pants, it works even better with casual/dress slacks at work. I am very self conscious of it (probably needlessly); the other day a friend asked for help with his computer and I found myself on all fours under his desk. . .

Point is, I'm always interested in alternative methods to IWB at 4 or 5 o'clock. This was not an issue in cooler weather, but now it's warm and I'm a t-shirt-n-shorts kinda guy. I gotta think using the system in the link above would exacerbate the problem of taking one's pants off in public.

There. I've said it.

Anyone use a crossbreed? It takes an hour to tuck your shirt in around it so you don't print. Then you go out, hit the men's room, and you're in there longer than your date and her 3 friends could ever be, making it look good again.

I guess I'm looking for good ideas for concealed carry, fun'n'sun style.

Have you tried this?

I'm not sure I'm staying on topic here, but I am new to concealed carry and some of the points made in this interesting thread raise more questions, to wit:

I use a crossbreed holster with my Smith & Walther 99. Jeans or cargo pants, it works even better with casual/dress slacks at work. I am very self conscious of it (probably needlessly); the other day a friend asked for help with his computer and I found myself on all fours under his desk. . .

Point is, I'm always interested in alternative methods to IWB at 4 or 5 o'clock. This was not an issue in cooler weather, but now it's warm and I'm a t-shirt-n-shorts kinda guy. I gotta think using the system in the link above would exacerbate the problem of taking one's pants off in public.

There. I've said it.

Anyone use a crossbreed? It takes an hour to tuck your shirt in around it so you don't print. Then you go out, hit the men's room, and you're in there longer than your date and her 3 friends could ever be, making it look good again.

I guess I'm looking for good ideas for concealed carry, fun'n'sun style.

I carry with this all the time with cargo pants and cargo shorts. It took a few days to get used to, but it now takes me little more than 10 seconds longer than putting on normal pants with a belt. I have even used this setup under running pants at night and found it more than tolerable for the added protection. I also use it riding my bike and motorcycle. Everyone is going to be different though and if someone was in salem and wants to see this setup I would be happy to show it to them. I have a set for a smaller gun and a set for my S&W 3913.

Your problem is that you know you're printing a little. Those extra bulges and wrinkles don't mean anything to anyone else. Most people don't know enough to guess you're carrying. Those that do carry themselves and at worst hope you train with your piece enough. :s0155:

I'm just saying don't sweat it. Carry enough that you get used to it and aren't fidgeting with it all the time.

Your problem is that you know you're printing a little. Those extra bulges and wrinkles don't mean anything to anyone else. Most people don't know enough to guess you're carrying. Those that do carry themselves and at worst hope you train with your piece enough. :s0155:

I'm just saying don't sweat it. Carry enough that you get used to it and aren't fidgeting with it all the time.

2 weeks later, that has turned out to be some very, very good advice. I appreciate it!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top