JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am having issues finding a good conceal carry weapon + holster combo for my size of body...

My current carry weapon is a Ruger LCP... and while I carry it everywhere (that is legal) I can't say I trust my life to it... I've had random FTE, my aim with it isn't that great (sometimes I can't even hit the paper with it -- but I can get 12 shots with my XD40 inside a very small group)

So I am trying to find something better... I actually would prefer a caliber that is a bit easier to find.... 9mm, .40, .45.... other calibers would be considered...

Body stats:
6' 1" - 140lbs... Typical pant size: 32x34

Photos to give an idea of size (these kinda suck since I am typically at the OTHER end of the camera):

5_9_2008-0396.jpg

161189300-O.jpg

p522563708-4.jpg

So not a big frame on my body.... I've been looking at the Glock 26/27 - a bit thick... I've looked at the Walther PPS - looks pretty good! The Kel-Tec PF9 sounds somewhat good... I don't care for the Kahr PM-9 - for that price I would rather go with the PPS...

There has to be someone else on this board that is my size that carries -- what do you carry and with what holster? I know that the holster can make a big difference between comfortable and uncomfortable...

Maybe I need to change my clothing up a bit... get jeans with a cargo pocket... wear a sportscoat to work to conceal a gun (typically my button down shirts are tucked in, no jacket -- so guns go in pockets or ankle holsters....

I wear just a t-shirt and jeans and am about the same size (5'9", 120lb). I can conceal a PF-9 with no problem.

I really love the PF-9 for a CCW, but it is not an enjoyable shooter. The recoil is harsh, and its a little rough on the trigger finger.

I'm bigger framed than you but not by too much and not as tall. If I'm wearing a jacket or vest I can hide my Para Ordnance P12 (Officers size) ok. Other than that, I'm considering a Seecamp, a 5 shot S&W or Ruger LCR (when it comes out). I love my Colt Government, but where do I hide it? I'd look for somethin' small and stick it in my pocket.

Last Edited:
Hey! Ya look like me! I'm 5'-10" and run about 145.

I regularly conceal a Glock 19 if I wear any kind of a shell using a Bladetech IWB holster. I use the same holster with a Glock 26 if I want to go with shorts and a t shirt. Just make sure it is a heavy fabric t shirt.

Oh, and I also carry the Glock 19 using a modified mexican carry when I go to church or anyplace where I have to tuck a collared shirt into my pants.

I have tried outside the waistband holsters and they just stick out so much compared to my thin waist.

These have worked for me for about 15 years.

As far as the trusting your life thing, let me be the one to break the news to you. Every time you carry the Ruger, you ARE trusting your life to it.

Find something that you can shoot well, reliably, and carry comfortably.

HTH

I wear just a t-shirt and jeans and am about the same size (5'9", 120lb). I can conceal a PF-9 with no problem.

I really love the PF-9 for a CCW, but it is not an enjoyable shooter. The recoil is harsh, and its a little rough on the trigger finger.

I think rough on the trigger finger is almost a given for small guns... I don't shoot the Ruger for fun... just practice here and there...

I need to find a store that has the PF-9 in stock......

I am partial to the 1911 style pistols. So in my opinion it's hard to beat a colt officer or defender sized pistol.

Andy

I've been looking at those... they are really nice!

As far as the trusting your life thing, let me be the one to break the news to you. Every time you carry the Ruger, you ARE trusting your life to it.

Find something that you can shoot well, reliably, and carry comfortably.

HTH

That is a really good point!

I need to find a place with several holsters and try them out... I think a comfortable IWB would be great - but it is the process of finding "the one"....

For the PF-9, I found mine from someone on here. The nice part about it, is it is 100% reliable for me so far, and was very inexpensive. I think I paid like 250! I'm sure if you put a want-ad here you would find one that has been well maintained.

I'm told there are things you can do to the trigger to make the slap a little easier, I just haven't gotten around to it.

As for the holster, I'm just using an Uncle Mike's Size 1 IWB, which is pretty decently comfortable with something this small.

If you are ever up for a trip to Timber (or another range on the west side of Portland), I'll let ya shoot mine to see if you like it.

Yeah, most of us have a pile of holsters!:s0114:

There is a gun show coming up at the expo... Would be a good place to get you mits on a collection of different holster types.

<broken link removed>

The PPS is a great choice...in 9mm. The .40s are problem prone.
I have a PPS in 9 and I love it for an auto. I also have a S&W Scandium .357 revolver that is the easiest,lightest gun to conceal but a bubblegum to shoot. Accurate but punishing.
I carry the S&W almost everywhere. The PPS not so much as it's much heavier than the S&W.
Go look at an Airweight Smith in .38 and a Scandium .357-Unfortunately neither are cheap.

Timbernet,here are a few suggestions. Try a Makarov, in 9mm Mak, conceals well, The 9mm Makarov round is superior to the .380. Extremely reliable, Bulgarian Maks are built like tanks. Concealing a pistol takes a little thought and change of habit on clothes. Outside shirt covers well, various iwb holsters out there. Also look at a Smith&Wesson Chief Special or a S&W908. Another one is a Taurus PT111 or they have a new slim line 9mm. Taurus also makes an Ultra-Lite .38 revolver that handles Plus P ammo, you can get it with a shrouded hammer at a good price. Ruger SR9 is nice to. None of these is as thick gripped as a Glock.The Taurus PT111 even has a safety. Bill

I'm built a little different (210 lbs, 6'3", 32 inseam, 36 waist) but you don't dress all that differently. With a tucked-in, button-up shirt I can easily get away with my 1911 in a Crossbreed "tuckable" in-waistband holster with the "velcro kit" just behind my strong-side hip. I wear a compact 1911 (Kimber Ultra Carry II) but I imagine any small, single-stack handgun would work like this.

It also looks like you could get away with cargo pants in your second and third pictures and that opens up pocket carry of all sorts of things. Try looking for heavy cargo pants/cargo shorts at work-wear stores. This has become my preferred means of carry. I still use the Ultra Carry for this but with the right pockets, you might be able to accommodate an XD Compact if that's your preferred platform (they are awfully fun to shoot)...

After searching and trying a couple of different pistols here's what I've learned for me 6'3", 210+ pounds:

- Double stack pistols...even in subcompact form, are generally uncomfortable, and tend to be a little obvious with jeans/t-shirts.
- A single stack "something" is nice.
- With as tall as you are, you don't need to go "subcompact". My carry for shorts/t-shirt is a Kahr CW40. It's a 7 shot .40S&W that's easy to control, single stack, fairly light to carry, that's almost exactly the shape of a Walther P22.
- I then decided that since a double stack is going to need a cover garment anyway for my needs, I went with a larger full sized frame XD45.
- If you're looking at the Kel-Tec, we aware, even in 9mm form, they kick pretty hard for a 9mm.

Right now I have the cheap-o Uncle Mike's IWB holster (made for a Glock 26), but it's surprisingly good and comfortable due to it's thinness. Double strapped leather holsters only add weight and thickness.

FYI, I bought my Kahr from coctailer (who's also a member on this board).

I second the 1911 platform! Currently I'm carrying a 5" gun without any problems or concealment with a decent holster and belt. I'm not a big guy 5'8" and 155lbs (a bit more than when I got out of the Army 17 years ago:( But with an untucked shirt and IWB the thin 1911 just disappears

I think you should go for the casual look. Old Navy Painter Jeans (loose fit), button up untucked shirt. Unless the place where you work has a dress code.

I've got a pair of Dickies with a large pocket on the side that would easily hide that LCP...otherwise a nice IWB might be the ticket with a polo shirt.

I think you should go for the casual look. Old Navy Painter Jeans (loose fit), button up untucked shirt. Unless the place where you work has a dress code.

I've got a pair of Dickies with a large pocket on the side that would easily hide that LCP...otherwise a nice IWB might be the ticket with a polo shirt.

Hiding the LCP is no issue... hiding things larger than a LCP gets a bit more difficult. ;)

I think I am going to do some more research on IWB holsters and buy a few... of course, before I do that I need to figure out what gun to holster.

I saw a Kimber Ultra Carry II today.... :):):)

Then I saw the price :(:(:( But one day it will be mine!

I hate to be the one to ask, but how old are you?

I recommend that same shirt if you like it, as it will conceal anything well.
Try the Ctac Mtac or one of Ted Blocker's IWB holsters.

Lastly, may I kindly suggest purchasing a smaller belt, a much smaller belt. It draws a lot of attention to your waistline.

I hate to be the one to ask, but how old are you?

I recommend that same shirt if you like it, as it will conceal anything well.
Try the Ctac Mtac or one of Ted Blocker's IWB holsters.

Lastly, may I kindly suggest purchasing a smaller belt, a much smaller belt. It draws a lot of attention to your waistline.

Belt has been replaced... a long time ago... yeah - it was a bad belt... those photos are somewhat old.... but I don't get in front of the camera if I can help it :)

As for age... 21, nearing 22.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top