JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No law, no problem.

My only caveat is that if you do carry at a venue like this...be careful. I'm not just talking about printing or safe carrying, but be careful if you ever use force. There are cops EVERYWHERE in events like this and a lot of Joe Blow citizens. If you do pull out a gun, you might be seen as the bad guy...also, when I carry at events like this I usually carry MagSafe bullets just to limit the possibility of collateral damage (with a spare mag being a standard loadout).

*edit*

Lastly if you do plan on drinking, then leave your gun in the car or at home. Also, if you plan on going on any of the rides, holster up appropriately!

I had a good laugh at the Washington county fair when they were searching my wife's purse at the entrance but completely ignored me who was armed. Though she was not carrying, they didnt look in the part of the purse where she normally conceal carries. So basically a completely useless search. Good job guys!

I didnt see any signs saying no weapons.

Honestly, given how packed that place was if something bad went down I would be glad I was carrying instead of packing around a whole BBQ turkey leg like everyone else.

I had called the Washington County Fair folks last year and specifically asked about their CCW rules. They told me there were no rules prohibiting legal concealed carry weapons at the county fair, and I was welcome to carry. I appreciated their positive approach to law abiding citizens.

According to the Washington State Fair website (aka "Puyallup Fair")
In order to make your visit to the fair an enjoyable experience, we appreciate your compliance with our policies noted below.
These items may not be brought into the facility:
  • Open containers
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Controlled substances
  • Weapons
  • Bicycles
  • Animals (except aid or show animals)
  • Skates, roller blades, skateboards
  • Unauthorized vehicles
:cool:

I had a good laugh at the Washington county fair when they were searching my wife's purse at the entrance but completely ignored me who was armed. Though she was not carrying, they didnt look in the part of the purse where she normally conceal carries. So basically a completely useless search. Good job guys!

I didnt see any signs saying no weapons.

Honestly, given how packed that place was if something bad went down I would be glad I was carrying instead of packing around a whole BBQ turkey leg like everyone else.

As a guy that worked security- your goal for events like that isn't to make people feel uncomfortable, it's to deter people from brining in unauthorized items. I used to work at a bar and they wanted everyone patted down before entry...I was sixteen and conducted pat searches outside of bars. We found drugs and all manor of weapons...the focus there was for people to actually be safe.

County fair? The focus there is for people to feel safe and to remove people that don't follow the rules. Get the difference?

It can be argued that you should never do anything halfway...either you actively look for weapons and dangerious items or you don't. Nevertheless, venues (like the fair) tend to make an example of the guy tearing through a woman's purse and stroller...it's a "look but don't look" policy.

Again though...it's illegal to carry a gun in a bar or have drugs...it's not illegal to have a gun or a knife on you at the county fair (regardless of any fair "policy").

If you care about a sign that says "no weapons" then great! Good for you! Just note that anything can be used as a weapon. A cane, a metal pen, steel-toed boots...heck a hand covered in rings is a weapon. Is anything stopping people from carrying those? Nope.

A gun is a tool. A dangerious tool (like a chainsaw), but a tool none the less. Can you kill someone with it? Yes, you sure can. But I can also kill someone with a chainsaw...

Always carry. That's my motto and that's what I will always teach.

Be proficient.
Be alert.
Be fit.
Be polite.
Leave ego, arrogance and pride in your gun safe.
Be prepared to kill any deadly threat.

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

Under WA law the sign has no force of law other than, IF you are "made" AND they ask you to leave AND you refuse they can then charge you with trespassing. Now, in a bar in WA it is illegal to carry, concealed or otherwise even with a CPL.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Last Edited:
As a guy that worked security- your goal for events like that isn't to make people feel uncomfortable, it's to deter people from brining in unauthorized items. I used to work at a bar and they wanted everyone patted down before entry...I was sixteen and conducted pat searches outside of bars. We found drugs and all manor of weapons...the focus there was for people to actually be safe.

County fair? The focus there is for people to feel safe and to remove people that don't follow the rules. Get the difference?

It can be argued that you should never do anything halfway...either you actively look for weapons and dangerious items or you don't. Nevertheless, venues (like the fair) tend to make an example of the guy tearing through a woman's purse and stroller...it's a "look but don't look" policy.

Again though...it's illegal to carry a gun in a bar or have drugs...it's not illegal to have a gun or a knife on you at the county fair (regardless of any fair "policy").

If you care about a sign that says "no weapons" then great! Good for you! Just note that anything can be used as a weapon. A cane, a metal pen, steel-toed boots...heck a hand covered in rings is a weapon. Is anything stopping people from carrying those? Nope.

A gun is a tool. A dangerious tool (like a chainsaw), but a tool none the less. Can you kill someone with it? Yes, you sure can. But I can also kill someone with a chainsaw...

Always carry. That's my motto and that's what I will always teach.

Be proficient.
Be alert.
Be fit.
Be polite.
Leave ego, arrogance and pride in your gun safe.
Be prepared to kill any deadly threat.

Sorry Riot, my gun safe is too small to hold all my ego, arrogance and pride. LOL!

The Walla Walla Washington County Fair at the public fairgrounds also was a No Firearms sign. Last year I called the Walla Walla Sheriff's Department and asked if that applied to licensed concealed carry. I was told no firearms and if found when searched we would be denied entry.

I treat it the same as a store with a no weapons sign - I carry anyway - it's for my own protection and the protection of my family, and since they don't provide that protection for me, I continue to carry. The only exception I make to carrying are in places (such as courthouses) where it is illegal to carry. Now, if they're doing a pat-down or using a metal detector, I may re-think that plan, but that hasn't yet happened. I've carried to the county fair for years with no issues.

As to the comment above by Riot - I agree - it's crowded, and using your gun in defense presents a greater potential danger to others if you use it - but of course that could be said for many different public venues. You need to be very aware of who and what is around you if you draw your gun. My personal defense plan is always to escape/shelter first, which probably wouldn't be particularly difficult in a place like a fair - so many people going so many directions, disappearing from a threat would likely be easier than in a small office with limit exit routes. I would likely only ever pull my gun if we found ourselves cornered and confronted with no other means of escape. At least the police are very visible and out in force, so it makes the likelihood of an attack at a place like a fair very small. That, and you have the benefit of a very quick police response.

There is no prohibition in Chpt. 9.41 RCW to concealed carry at county fairs. The state RCW pre-empts local rules. Counties, cities and towns cannot prohibit the carrying of firearms.

Policy is not law.

Yup, rules are not laws...

I'd rather be asked to leave on the very slim chance I was found out on a pat down.

Most likely I could play it off as if I had forgoted and then have the chance to decide to go out and put it in the car safe or just leave the venue.

The Walla Walla Washington County Fair at the public fairgrounds also was a No Firearms sign. Last year I called the Walla Walla Sheriff's Department and asked if that applied to licensed concealed carry. I was told no firearms and if found when searched we would be denied entry.
Not legal under WA law, they need to read the statutes and abide by them.

Keep in mind The Washington State Fair is a private, non-profit organization which exists for only one reason, and that is to please the Fairgoer. The Fair puts smiles on people's faces, it educates people of all ages, and most of all, it creates memories for everyone.

SO at those fair grounds they make the rules.

Keep in mind The Washington State Fair is a private, non-profit organization which exists for only one reason, and that is to please the Fairgoer. The Fair puts smiles on people's faces, it educates people of all ages, and most of all, it creates memories for everyone.

Isn't it held on state property/land?

Idk about the Washington state fair, but the Clark county fair is not on state property and the absolute worst that can happen too you is that they ask you to leave.

Haven't been in years though. It's over priced, smells, hard to park and it's the same vendors year after year after year.

That's all coming from a county boy so don't get to thinking I only like city stuff;).

Isn't it held on state property/land?

Nope. The Washington State Fair (aka Puyallup Fair) association owns the land.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top