JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday morningI was on here and it was running fine,but the fan has been working a lot. Then last night I got home and nada
Oh well. The computer girl asked if it was worth fixing, how old is it?
It is at least 4 years,probably 5.
Tell you the truth (with my tin hat on) Micro squish has been trying to install 8.1 and I wouldn't doubt they destroyed it. (Tin hat off and I hate typing on this phone )
So all I do is here you tub and a couple other spots,but I like fast.
What are my best options? Should I just go apple? Ipad?
I do watch movies on it thru the tv. I hate actual TV shows,so yuptube and movies are my entertainment.
I'm still kinda dumb so use layman's terms please:D

@mjbskwim
As with all things - what are you doing?

If it is reading NWFA - and an occasional streaming movie, then a Tablet is a good plan.
If you are writing the great american novel, you need a great keyboard.
Should you be running a business, then you need to look at much more.

For about $650 you can get a really good computer: No Monitor / No Keyboard. Intel processor. ( Intel NUC - Skull Canyon ) If you can do with a good, vs really good, you can spend less:
http://goo.gl/chNcMV

You will be at or above that price if you must go Apple.
<broken link removed>

Let us know what you will be using it for, and we can help with specific features.
ie: Games- which ones, Business tools, automation, generating ballistics charts, cracking the genetic code ...

Last Edited:
If your machine is trying to upgrade to Win 8.1, it's probably time for a new machine anyway. Unless you're comfortable with futsing with it, and enjoy that kind of thing, it's probably just best to get a new machine and pull your hard drive to save any data you have on there.

If you like fast, SSID with Win 10 is the way to go. Just be careful about buying older technology. Dell tends to offer some cheap stuff that's several generations behind.

I'm an apple guy after messing with Windows and dos for years and years.

I run everything in the house off a gen 1 Mac Pro Tower I bought on CL for $200.

Have a Macbook for a laptop I got for $400 used.

Just bought a new gen MacBook Air for $500 for my daughter (an as new model worth about $1500 new with all the custom upgrades).

If you don't know or care a lot about computers then I would vote for Apple - all hardware and software is produced in house vs PC machines that have base specs and the software and hardware do not always speak the same language.

Also, while a PC is good for 4-5 years (unless you buy a custom built high end model), an apple will double or triple that. My tower is a 2005 model and I am still editing video with it so it's a powerhouse.

If you know a "nerd" (aside from this clown, too far), you could have them help you build a decent computer... Or you can just buy one at a local store. Depends on what you're gonna do with the computer really. If you don't do much, just find a computer you can afford.

If you know a "nerd" (aside from this clown, too far), you could have them help you build a decent computer... Or you can just buy one at a local store. Depends on what you're gonna do with the computer really. If you don't do much, just find a computer you can afford.

Yea, it's too bad (for this issue only lol) that he is so far away.

I would start looking at CL every day multiple times a day - get an app that works on your phone where you can block ads you have already looked at (Craigslist Pro is what I use). You'll be able to see a trend and what should sell for what price. Wait for a good deal, maybe not a smoking deal unless you are familiar with the product and feel comfortable not getting ripped off, and send an email or text to the seller.

The one I would avoid is anything called Net something

ie: NETBook

I have never used a ChromeBook - but if you have fast internet then that might be a cheap solution.

I don't know if you have something near you, in Portland and Cornelius, there are shops which specialize in used equipment.

People have very different skills and interests when it comes to computers. I built my own for many years and even did the work on my laptops including CPU changeouts. But now, decent machines are relatively cheap and you have warranty with a new computer. It's just so much easier to go to Best Buy or Office Depot and pick out the one you like.

What are my best options? Should I just go apple? Ipad?
I do watch movies on it thru the tv. I hate actual TV shows,so yuptube and movies are my entertainment.
older computers wont play well with newer windows for very long. If your computer is over 3 yrs old in general your best bet is to either buy a new computer or install a Linux operating system on the older machine... will extend the life of the older machine several more years. Linux is free.

Keep monitor and add an Apple Mac Mini. $499 base will suit you just fine.

That's what I run. On a 50" flat screen. My Mac Mini is MORE than capable for its size and with 16GB or RAM it flies through pretty much anything.

$ for $ RAM is your best investment. More RAM = better performance.

Careful, some devices - tablets / All in Ones etc - list their "Flash" or "Flash RAM" etc, this is not the same thing. That is roughly equivalent to storage for applications.

A tablet is not bad if all you do is surf the net, such as this forum, watch YT videos or the occasional movie. I have one and I do like it, it's very convenient, especially when I'm on the go.

But at home, it's got to be a laptop for me. Some things that are a consideration for me - and may be for you as well - such as USB ports for flash drives, large external storage, etc. Or maybe a DVD/BluRay burner - I have a BluRay burner on my laptop because I do a lot of photos and videos, and I shoot RAW format which takes a lot of space. While I archive my files on removable external drives via USB3.0, I do redundant backups of all my photo/video files on BlueRay discs - at 25GB per disc, I get a lot more storage on a single disc than DVD.

I also like having a larger screen. I run a 17" on my laptop. I also prefer having a full sized keyboard - which you can get for your tablet if you want.

I'm not against PC's or MAC's - I've owned and used both. My current laptop is a Dell, 6 years old, running Win 7 and is still faster and more powerful that low priced off-the-shelf laptops I've used. But I got this one built by Dell as I wanted - big hard drive, lots of extra RAM, hi-res monitor, upgraded/faster graphics processor and a faster processor. All good stuff and well worth the investment to date.

JUST SAY NO TO LYNEX or whatever that is. My buddy gave me a tower with that on it and I couldn't figure it out for nothing.
Thanks for all the info. I have to travel 100 plus miles to find a shop. I'm not real keen on the guys in town.
The girl who repairs computers can order me something but searching on this thing will drive me nuts.

Current computer at our house is 7+ years old. Bought when wife went into nursing school.

Since then it's been through two video cards, two hard drives. The most recent hdd is a SSD (well worth the upgrade). The best performance was after adding the SSD. We went from a 2 minute startup only down to 30 seconds from shutdown to restart.

Dual core 2.4Ghz with 8GB ram. Plenty enough for what's needed now days. When computer finally dies I will have a SSD with our data on that I can plug into an external drive case when I get a Mac Mini.

Nothing important will be lost (and I have an external remote location wired backup HDD as well).

I personally suggest if you don't want to drop a LOT of $$ look into what's wrong. Maybe a hard drive upgrade will boost the performance and satiate you for a few more years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top