JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We owned the Bill Cody Ranch for some years.
http://billcodyranch.com/

Hanging on the lodge walls was a Winchester 1894 that belonged to the very first National Forest ranger (Shoshone Forest was the first National Forest). I forget his name now, but we also had a picture hanging there of him talking to Buffalo Bill, holding that same rifle.

When we sold the ranch, we sold the gun too. My wife refuses to tell me what she got for it. I guess she let it go too cheaply. :oops:

The one collectible I got was a Winchester 1885 Low Wall in .260 Remington. I got it at the basic 1885 price, right when they started making them, but then they stopped and in short order the price tripled. I sold it and used the money to have a custom 1885 made in 6.5 TCU. Didn't like the recoil; this new gun is much more fun to shoot.

I don't think AR-15s will ever be collectible. Could be wrong though. ;)

Well, I guess we've seen what the political climate can do to the prices of some rifles, AR-15s specifically.

I think the value of a gun may depend:
On what is popular when you are accessing the value of the gun
Condition
Number available at the time
Demand for the gun in question

All of the above really effects my collection of antique firearms.
If I were to be crazy enough to sell them off , it would be a long time for a given rifle to be sold for what they are worth.

And it is important to note that there may be a large dollar amount difference between accessing value for insurance or replacement cost versus if you just want to sell a gun collectible or not.
Andy

Although a resurrected thread from the past, this thread is relevant and interesting to me, especially considering the current and temporary national political climate.

I've never thought of any AR as an appreciating investment, other than when they are in short supply, or when a government body restricts their legality. That doesn't mean I don't own them. They are an important tool to me, but I don't consider them as part of an investment portfolio.

I am interested in nicer guns, and I "used" to consider them as an appreciating investment. They still are, but my opinion is morphing somewhat. The interest in collector arms is not what it used to be. As folks like me are aging out, many younger shooters have more interest in a Glock than a Python, and an AR than a Winchester, not unlike their interest in a Prius over a 67 Malibu. So, no matter the value of any collectible item, if the market is going away, so does their real value.

Collectors are discussing this phenomenon, and are concerned that their precious collections will take a dump. We are finding that collectible firearms are getting harder to peddle. It's not gonna happen over night, as there are still some mature fellers that expect to be on this planet a few more decades, and continue to buy nice guns, and yes there are, fortunately, some younger folks that do have an interest in nice guns, so although the market might not completely disappear, it is changing.

Even my kids...I always figured they'd get my guns when I check out. But they have zero interest in them! So do I let them have them anyway, knowing they'll sell them in an estate sale, or do I start weeding them out now, while there is still a market. This is a pressing and depressing dilemma with many old coots.

WAYNO.

Although a resurrected thread from the past, this thread is relevant and interesting to me, especially considering the current and temporary national political climate.

I've never thought of any AR as an appreciating investment, other than when they are in short supply, or when a government body restricts their legality. That doesn't mean I don't own them. They are an important tool to me, but I don't consider them as part of an investment portfolio.

I am interested in nicer guns, and I "used" to consider them as an appreciating investment. They still are, but my opinion is morphing somewhat. The interest in collector arms is not what it used to be. As folks like me are aging out, many younger shooters have more interest in a Glock than a Python, and an AR than a Winchester, not unlike their interest in a Prius over a 67 Malibu. So, no matter the value of any collectible item, if the market is going away, so does their real value.

Collectors are discussing this phenomenon, and are concerned that their precious collections will take a dump. We are finding that collectible firearms are getting harder to peddle. It's not gonna happen over night, as there are still some mature fellers that expect to be on this planet a few more decades, and continue to buy nice guns, and yes there are, fortunately, some younger folks that do have an interest in nice guns, so although the market might not completely disappear, it is changing.

Even my kids...I always figured they'd get my guns when I check out. But they have zero interest in them! So do I let them have them anyway, knowing they'll sell them in an estate sale, or do I start weeding them out now, while there is still a market. This is a pressing and depressing dilemma with many old coots.

WAYNO.

Good points. As to your comment on your kids, I've had a couple of conversations with my father-in-law regarding his collection of guns. He has a few rifles and shotguns, none of which, I'm pretty sure, have any great value. They're all perfectly functional, but nothing a collector is likely to desire. He has no interest in selling them, even though he hasn't shot them in years, he wants to keep them in the family.

A few years ago, he asked if I would take them, at the time, I told him I thought it was more appropriate to give them to his grandkids (he has two daughters, no sons) as they had expressed some interest in the past. What I didn't learn for a while after that conversation is that I had offended him with my response. In my attempt, as a non-blood-relative to give first choice to his actual kin, he felt like I was saying it wasn't worth my time. Total miscommunication, but it took another 2 years before the subject came up again. Once it did, I explained my position and he explained his. He would like to pass them on to family, but he believes anyone on that side of the family will simply turn around and sell them for whatever they can get from them. He chose me because I like and appreciate guns, I can take proper care of them, and more importantly to him, I won't turn them around for a quick buck. He wants to see them stay in the family. So, as it goes, they will go to my wife (his daughter - SB941 crap and all that) and I will store them. What we do with them in the future is unknown, maybe they'll get passed on eventually to the other kids, maybe to our daughter, I don't know. All we know is that if he knows we are taking them, he's happy. And, after he's gone, well I guess it's all up to us to do with them what we please at that point.

I'll have to think about that with my daughter down the road. She most likely will get some of my collection, but may not want each item I own. We'll discuss that some day. If she doesn't want but a few, I'll consider selling them, maybe donating or gifting to someone that needs them. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that decision for a number of years yet.

I've been selling off a large majority of my collection over the past few months, and it feels FANTASTIC!
So many people have told me "You'll regret it,you're an idiot,blah blah"
I feel the exact opposite-nobody in my family cares about my stuff..i tried GIVING my brother any gun he wanted from my collection as a birthday gift and he declined for lack of interest.
My wife will just have to sell my crap off,so I'm doing it in advance and enjoying the $.
Why do I have an entire bedroom full of WW2 memorabilia, 4 Garands,5 1903s,etc?
I DON'T!!
And I love it.
Collecting is a disease,quite honestly.
Guys my age who care about history and it's preservation are becoming a rare bird indeed,so i am getting out now.We should also consider the repercussions the extreme Left will be taking against us when our President is voted out in 3 1/2 years.
Not looking forward to the gun climate.
I'm keeping the bare minimum, and enjoying setting my albatross free.
Until my next collecting binge hits,anyway.

I've been selling off a large majority of my collection over the past few months, and it feels FANTASTIC!
So many people have told me "You'll regret it,you're an idiot,blah blah"
I feel the exact opposite-nobody in my family cares about my stuff..i tried GIVING my brother any gun he wanted from my collection as a birthday gift and he declined for lack of interest.
My wife will just have to sell my crap off,so I'm doing it in advance and enjoying the $.
Why do I have an entire bedroom full of WW2 memorabilia, 4 Garands,5 1903s,etc?
I DON'T!!
And I love it.
Collecting is a disease,quite honestly.
Guys my age who care about history and it's preservation are becoming a rare bird indeed,so i am getting out now.We should also consider the repercussions the extreme Left will be taking against us when our President is voted out in 3 1/2 years.
Not looking forward to the gun climate.
I'm keeping the bare minimum, and enjoying setting my albatross free.
Until my next collecting binge hits,anyway.

Well, the good thing is there will always be collectors, people that hold on to that old memorabilia so others won't forget and that history will be preserved. You're right though, collecting can be a disease. It really should only be done if it's something a person has a passion for and the financial means to do it without bankrupting themselves. My collection doesn't really have any historical or personal/emotional value, it's more utilitarian and fun. When the time comes I feel I no longer want them, I'll probably be doing what you're doing now. What sucks is with SB941 it just makes the process more complicated and costly.

I was just remembering another issue, wives friend. Well her Husband was using a circular saw, the blade hit a nail he didnt see in the wood and part of the nail flew up and hit him square in eye blinding him in less then a second.
Two things he didnt check for a safe object to cut and by passed safety saving his eye sight.
Ive been hurt before and almost always get hurt cause I was in a hurry and by passed safety. I dont do that much anymore and prep allot before projects and shooting.

My family went through this when my Grand Parents were getting things in order. Both of them were gun crafters and collectors and many of the unfinished long guns were worth more then the finished ones! Their kids were only luke warm to any of them, so the entire collection went to the 5 of us grand kids! We had to write down the ones we each wanted and then we had to negotiate amoungst our selves for the few rifles every one wanted! LOL luckily, we were able to come to terms that every one was happy with, with only 3 rifles being sold off to avoid any conflict. I tried to buy one of them later, but no joy! All this made our Grand Parents super happy as they were able to pass on the love of all things gun to there grand kids who all appreciate not only each item, but the history of them, and the fact that both Grand Mom and Grand Dad had had a hand in preserving or customizing each one! Even better was being a part of the build on my Holland and Holland which I treasure above all others, and my life time love affair with the M-1 Garand!

My family went through this when my Grand Parents were getting things in order. Both of them were gun crafters and collectors and many of the unfinished long guns were worth more then the finished ones! Their kids were only luke warm to any of them, so the entire collection went to the 5 of us grand kids! We had to write down the ones we each wanted and then we had to negotiate amoungst our selves for the few rifles every one wanted! LOL luckily, we were able to come to terms that every one was happy with, with only 3 rifles being sold off to avoid any conflict. I tried to buy one of them later, but no joy! All this made our Grand Parents super happy as they were able to pass on the love of all things gun to there grand kids who all appreciate not only each item, but the history of them, and the fact that both Grand Mom and Grand Dad had had a hand in preserving or customizing each one! Even better was being a part of the build on my Holland and Holland which I treasure above all others, and my life time love affair with the M-1 Garand!

That's certainly something special to have in your collection!

I became the "keeper" of Dad's guns after he passed away last year. Being the only son and shooter in the family there is no sentimental value to the rest of the family and honestly none of the guns are worth a ton, except for the sporterized SMLE sniping rifle. (the accessories for the rifle are probably worth more than the sporterized rifle)
I have two nephews (sister's kids) who like to shoot, but aren't aware of most of what their grandpa had. However, they are sentimental enough, and their grandpa played a huge part of their lives, that they would cherish the guns he used.
The ones they don't know about, the ones Dad didn't use during their lifetime, are the ones I'm not quite sure what to do with.

This line of thought is completely unrelated to the line of thought behind this post.
Like @Spitpatch asked, is it wrong for the OP to derail his own thread?

As @WAYNO mentioned, it's an old, resurrected thread...

Let's just say there's two points of discussion here.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top