JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some guns have historically been valuable. Winchester lever actions, 1885s, Pre 64 Model 70s, Sharps, etc.
I've noticed that I can spent a couple of grand to buy a new high quality AR platform rifle. For that $2000 I can buy some pretty nice older rifles that are very likely to increase in value as time goes by.

So, any thoughts on what if a higher end AR will be worth more in a decade or three, or will the old standbys be the ones worth incrementally more and the ARs just be like a used car?

First off you will need to not mess with it. Not being into the Black Rifles I have noticed that people tend to treat them like lego sets constantly adding or changing parts. In the world of collectable firearms that would be a HUGE no no.

With Winchesters knowing what sight what grade wood what length magazine etc. is paramount to rifles value.

To some day say hey this is mostly a Noveske such and such (for instance). Will most likely not bring the highest price.

I have a lot of WWII guns. And pre 64 Winchesters. You could say, that's where my heart is.
And I have some black rifles. Many were imported before the 89 ban. All foreign parts and build. They hold there value. And they are well built, useable guns. That's good. Because after all, I bought my guns to be guns.

If there value goes up then good. But they are tools first.

I did buy a new colt AR-15 in 88. It was $650. Adjusting for inflation that's $1300 in 2015 money.
I just bought another colt AR-15 m-4. A couple of weeks ago for $899 with factory magpul FDE furniture.
So. Not a very good investment.

Unless you happen to really need a AR-15. Then it could be priceless! :D
Or you sold during one of the last [or future] black gun panics for $2400?

Something else about the AR market. It is saturated with builders. So prices are going down.
25 years ago. Who would have thought AK's would be priced the same as AR's? I don't disparage the AK. They are a good gun. And part of my collection. But they were $250 guns back when I bought my first $650 colt AR.

Gun popularity and prices are fickle. Build a diverse collection. But buy them!

I think high quality AR's may become collectible in the future. For collectible firearms originality is important. So if its been modified that will normally bring the value down. Collectibility of any gun is partly based on age, rarity, and desirability. So you can have old and rare guns but they may not be desirable. All AR's would suddenly become collectible if legal restrictions were imposed on them.

If you are buying something as an investment, buy a firearm that has a limited supply with no chance of more being made such as transferable title II firearms, i.e. Full Auto. Those prices have definitely appreciated.

Buy Colts! Pythons ! To be specific, you cannot go wrong!!

Buying an AR as an investment unless it's one of the very firsts few ar15's colt ever made , would be just a waste of money.

1960-1970's S&W revolvers.... Also some of the finest ever made! Buy them, lots of them, and in the best condition as one can find!

When I found that new in box Colt SP-1 Sporter hiding under that waterbed frame a couple of years ago, I was thrilled, and even more thrilled when the owner gave it to me as a Christmas present. Man is that AR cool in it's vintage look and feel.

I think the higher priced ARs are a waste of money unless you are military or compete.
And i see all those type guns kinda leveling off and all becoming about the same value.
Kinda like last year. Delton came out with a $500 AR and made all those expensive homebrew FrankenARs worth about $600 instead of the $1200 it cost to build.
I doubt even a $3500 noveski will keep the value as well as some of the other guns you mentioned.Unless it's a one of a kind and you find that perfect buyer that really cares.
Older gun collectors seem more common

I am going to say the SKS, more so the Yugo, Albanian and Russian. More and more are bubbafied every year. The Chinese are in such high volume I doubt the value will go very high in the future. However a good Yugo, Albanian and Russian SKS in mint condition with matching numbers is becoming more rare, why value has yet to be set anyone taking a look on AL,GB etc you will find many more bubbafied and many more without matching numbers. Its my guess these once cheap 99.00 rifles will become highly collectible. If one takes a look seriously these have in a decade gone up 400 and 500% thats a greater increase then almost all other firearms if a person had that same rise in a decade in stock they be rich.

I am going to say the SKS, more so the Yugo, Albanian and Russian. More and more are bubbafied every year. The Chinese are in such high volume I doubt the value will go very high in the future. However a good Yugo, Albanian and Russian SKS in mint condition with matching numbers is becoming more rare, why value has yet to be set anyone taking a look on AL,GB etc you will find many more bubbafied and many more without matching numbers. Its my guess these once cheap 99.00 rifles will become highly collectible. If one takes a look seriously these have in a decade gone up 400 and 500% thats a greater increase then almost all other firearms if a person had that same rise in a decade in stock they be rich.
Now I like SKS' and AKs just fine,but most of the world thinks of the SKS' as $100 guns.Most I've talked to wouldn't spend very much on 1 (including me).Now the ones who have had them and like them,like me,may spend up to $300ish on them but not much more.Even if they are said to be "collector's items". That limits your buyer to very few.
I'd guess there are way more folks that would spend real money on an AK,but again,most would be hard pressed to see them as "collector items"
And by saying that there are so many bubbafied,you can see what folks think of them
That's just from my observations at shops and shows

I look for items that are very well made and over looked..

Such as the Krico 640S in .223 and .308 very hard to find rifles here in the states. But I have found two right in Porkland!! They were imported by Beeman.

Krico 640.PNG

Krico 640.PNG

I am going to say the SKS

DuneHopper, I was thinking of a different market when posting this thread, but I agree a good, clean, unmolested SKS will only go up in value and I have a guess as to why so many are "bubbafied". The length of pull is just to freakin short for most guys. I hate it when I get my thumb smashed into my face every time I shoot. Not that it hurts, it's just annoying. Aftermarket stocks usually offer a longer reach. Other than that I thought it was a good protectin/fightin rifle. Depending on your intended purpose for owning a rifle, the SKS could be the most valuable to you.

Now I like SKS' and AKs just fine,but most of the world thinks of the SKS' as $100 guns.Most I've talked to wouldn't spend very much on 1 (including me).Now the ones who have had them and like them,like me,may spend up to $300ish on them but not much more.Even if they are said to be "collector's items". That limits your buyer to very few.
I'd guess there are way more folks that would spend real money on an AK,but again,most would be hard pressed to see them as "collector items"
And by saying that there are so many bubbafied,you can see what folks think of them
That's just from my observations at shops and shows

I agree and perhaps the SKS may go the way of the DODO Bird, but seriously one never knows.
I see people taking these guns apart and selling them on Ebay and alike, the more scarce they become its possible they may gain value. Case in point California you Can have a SKS ( for now) but there are limits on AK's not sure anyone will follow my logic, but say here in Oregon they ban AK's then most likely they would as well the M-** types as well a rug cut like that would drive in my opinion firearms like these would become valuable. In Komifornia if they pass that law the most expensive AK, can't even be sold and would have to be registered. Maybe I am reaching but there is something about these little Comi-rifles that make then sought after. I do see them in Oregon often floating around 400.00 and up. I agree these once were 100-300 guns but I have not seen those prices since the kings second term. Again I may be wrong, but I wouldn't sell mine I do see them as the next one missed.

I kinda based my post on times like today. If we start getting more stuff made illegal the all bets are off. The older rifles will be as valuable as the ARs an AKs cause all will be subject to being taken away.
Prices will be set in first born areas.How much food ya got? terms. Or what ammo is available? Yeah that gun is way up there in price.
All speculation like buying gold and silver. I will always think guns and ammo is more valuable

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top