JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1648611855128.png

Too many people for this old hermit!

Please forgive me if this a stupid question, but why would I want to use one of their rifles instead of my own??
They supply the ammo and M16A2 (iron sighted rifles); and at the end of the match you don't have any gun to clean - they do it! So come on out, shoot their rifle, their ammo, win the match and head home to brag about your shooting skills. Your friends may doubt you though, since your hands won't be dirty from cleaning. What a country! The only thing that might be better would be going to a gun show where they sell beer, or perhaps watching a golf course being graded flat for an outdoor 1000yd rifle range.

Lars,

I highly recommend the Creedmoor shooting mat. It isn't the least expensive option, but mine has lasted many seasons with heavy use. If you have a sweatshirt or a heavy work jacket, you can get away without a dedicated shooting coat, but if you stay with highpower, you are gonna want one. There should be plenty of gear to use and compare, so I would hold off on buying stuff until you see what folks use in match conditions.

Ted

Ted is correct, hold off until you see what people are using. Also, many local clubs have mats and scopes you can use until you get your own. Some clubs even have rifles to loan for shooters.

They supply the ammo and M16A2 (iron sighted rifles); and at the end of the match you don't have any gun to clean - they do it! So come on out, shoot their rifle, their ammo, win the match and head home to brag about your shooting skills. Your friends may doubt you though, since your hands won't be dirty from cleaning. What a country! The only thing that might be better would be going to a gun show where they sell beer, or perhaps watching a golf course being graded flat for an outdoor 1000yd rifle range.
Well, if I'm relegated to iron sights then I'll be taking a hard pass. I cannot use iron sights any longer as I cannot form a proper sight picture. Both front and rear are blurry.

Well, if I'm relegated to iron sights then I'll be taking a hard pass. I cannot use iron sights any longer as I cannot form a proper sight picture. Both front and rear are blurry.
"CMP will be providing Rifles, Pistols and ammunation. Competitors should bring the following if they have them: Mats, scopes, jackets, safety glasses etc"

Says you can bring scopes. I'm assuming they are required to follow the 2022 CMP high power rulebook which says...

Optical Sights. The rifle may have an optical sight (reflective sights are considered optical sights) with a maximum power of 4.5X installed on the receiver. Variable scopes with a maximum of 4.5X are permitted. Only commercially manufactured scopes that were produced with a maximum magnification of 4.5X and have a maximum objective lens diameter of 34
mm may be used. If an optical sight is used, the same optical sight configuration must be used in all stages of a course of fire (changing sights or sight mount configurations is not permitted). The centerline of an optical sight shall be no higher than 3.5 inches above the centerline of the bore

I'd like to buy a good mat for class. Any recommendations? Also it sounds like I can get away with not having a shooting jacket?
Whatever you end up getting try it out a while before you go, to help prevent elbow abrasions. That'd suck as a distraction in a class.

Having microfiber towels & or elbow pads in your gear may be handy as a just in case.

Spotting scopes are for reading mirage, as well as looking at groups for non electronic targets. When you are at 600 you are gonna want a spotting scope, wind flags lie........

I still think it's ridiculous they force you to use their rifles. The purpose of marksmanship instruction is to get better with the firearms you have. It's an AR platform for Pete's sake. They ALL work the same (basically).

I still think it's ridiculous they force you to use their rifles. The purpose of marksmanship instruction is to get better with the firearms you have. It's an AR platform for Pete's sake. They ALL work the same (basically).
My understanding is that this is basic instruction on how to shoot the match. More for the course of fire and proper positions. I think it is smart that they bring rifles. All are sighted in the way they want. All are proven and if one goes down they probably just swap it out for a matching spare. No messing with someone else's kit and sighting in everyone's rifle. In the last couple of classes that I have been in it seemed we spent a good deal of time just getting everyone's equipment running. I'm not saying that you would have these issues Ironbar, but you know there are always a few. :)

A long time ago when my daughter and I went through CMP at DRRC we used our own AR15. That was a club sponsored event, so perhaps because this is apparently a CMP sponsored event they want you to use their weapons. My daughter trashed half the guys on the line and the day before the match was the first time she shot an AR…and she didnt even have the cool jacket and glasses with the blinder…lol

There is several reasons they supply the rifles I suspect. In general, it is easier to teach new shooters the sport when you can control the equipment and ammo used.

It is tailored to newer shooters that may not know the equipment rules. Many common modifications of current AR's are not allowed. There is a minimum trigger weight, maximum optic magnification and restrictions on features. The class is a focus on marksmanship training and it is easier to coach on a rifle you know then some janky setup someone brought to class you spend more time trying to make work halfway right for them. I have been there a few times coaching youth until I had a set of rifles they could use. I also have seen people bring their own equipment to local clinics and be less successful then if they borrowed a club rifle.

Sunday's match is an opportunity to win points towards a distinguished marksmanship badge. By using all the same rifles, it levels the playing field for new and experienced shooters. It is all about marksmanship, not equipment.

Best of all, no cleaning a rifle when you are done. Just make sure it is in the case with the two mags and sling when you are done.

Can't see iron sights is just an excuse. I just got back from the western games where the average age of competitors the first half the week was around 60. In the Garand match there was 63 competitors, 28 were between 60-70 and 13 were over 70. 2/3 the shooters were over 60 and having a blast.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top