JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, C. and I have been looking at CMP or NRA Service Rifle matches as an umbrella for us to learn how to run our hardware under, and I was wondering if anyone here has local match experience with either of these to give Getting Started advice on what we need, how much ammo, etc.

Here's what we have to work with:
unknown.png
Neither of these have been on a scale to make weight, but some things are obvious that need to be done to go from Combat to Games configuration...
  • Both: Remove lights and foregrips, slap ladder covers on exposed rails
  • M4: Remove ergo grip and swap on A2, swap Manta covers for ladders
  • C8: Remove laser, if necessary to make weight unscrew FSB-mounted tri-rail
Areas of concern:
  • M4 has a Matech BUIS - I would really love to NOT have to fight with removing/replacing and rezeroing sights
  • C8's rear sight is not an A2 but mechanically an A1 with a different body - see previous
  • Both have extended CH latches; the M4 uses USMC's Badger Ordnance (an approved optional part) while the C8 has a Canadian Forces standard-issue
  • C8's last four inches of barrel are a pencil-profile with a sleeve around it held on by FH and crush-washer; another "pain in the arse to fight with"
Unfortunately, I've reached out to both CMP and NRA Competitions staff and neither are responsive... both of these weapons are built to match specific documented individual irons in the Rockpile, so I'd really like to keep them as "battlefield" as possible out there.

Where are you located? Douglas Ridge has a fairly robust service rifle program and has matches almost every month, to include classroom instruction on the day before the match. If you are an Oregon shooter, look at their calendar and see what dates work for you. Bring the rifles you have and you will see what the match shooters use and go from there. A match is generally 88 rounds...

Ive been shooting CMP highpower/ Vintage matches for about 15 years and it is a very welcoming group of shooters.

I'm up around Seattle/Puget Sound area. TBH, these two were built to mimic two specific individuals' rifles in Afghanistan* and while their primary role is Serious Social Work/Battlefield Act-Alike, I thought Service Rifle might be the closest match conditions to "Field Use" without crossing over into actual "tactical training" between asinine WA laws and my girlfriend being a non-citizen.
*The M4 in memory of a fallen friend who never fully came home, and who actually started the parts-gathering with intent to do a "Home Copy of his Work Gun," the C8 to give the GF her country's counterpart and set up to match the one a CF armorer who helped me research and plan the build carried in his own Afghan tour and with some of his own bringback parts.

I know CMP Games Modern Military has a 7.5# weight cap, and can't figure out what kinda meth they were snorting with that since stripped of lights/laser/foregrip and even accessories like cleaning kit/spare battery carrier (keeping the tri-rail since it's a "defining feature" on the Canadian guns) they still come in at 8.8 and 9.0.

Thanks, NR. I was a little wary of Unlimited because in other sports that's where all the pure gamesmen with retarded things like half-pound triggers and skeleton holsters that need a strap to hold the gun in while walking the stage like to go. *stares pointedly at USPSA Open*

Agreed. I've always shot stock service pistol, but we shoot as mixed groups. The unlimited guys are insane. I always offer to let them use a Glock 22, no takers!
Unfortunately, what pushed me away was lack of accommodation for box-stock GI 1911, even Limited-10 can get kinda gamey. (That and the USPSA guys at the local range never returned my emails or phone calls... wonder if their CMP guy being one of my old high school math teachers had something to do with it.)

Get a rule book..

They used to be FREE for the asking from the NRA.

But, maybe it is downloadable now a days? Yeah....I've been out of that game for a long time.

Aloha, Mark

PS......FREE NRA reduced targets. Shoot them at 100 yards for practice. SR-1, SR-21 and MR-31c

https://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

Last Edited:
Take a look at Paul Bunyon in Puyallup, it is an awesome range. I've shot highpower matches there for the past 5 years or so, and Ive really enjoyed the folks there. I agree with the comments that you should find a 20" upper with a proper front sling swivel and a good 2 stage trigger with at least 4.5 pounds. The sling is a must in order to shoot in position. A2 iron sights are common, and if you go with an optic, it has to be 4.5 power or less.

There is no weight requirement for CMP/NRA service rifle, mine is probably in the area of 14 pounds. Look up the most recent parameters for service rifle in the in the CMP rulebook. You should be able to find one online from the CMP website. If you are shooting "Match Rifle", there are less limits.

Using good ammo is also a necessity. 55/62 grain ball ammo is good for 100 yard reduced matches, but it will leave folks frustrated at 300 and 600 yards. A good 77 grain match bullet will get out to 600 without an issue, and many folks use an 80 or 80.5 grain just for 600.

The most common equipment items used at Camp Perry/State Championships/regional matches are:

White Oak 20" service rifle complete upper
Geissele NM trigger
Creedmoor shooting coat/Mat
Good spotting scope/stand
Les Tam/Ron Brown leather sling
Nightforce 4.5 service rifle scope

Last Edited:
Thanks--most of what I have in hand for ammo is IMI Razorcore Mk 262, and I've penciled out a pair of M16A4 and C7 URG's to swap on if she decides the bug has bitten seriously. TBH, the thinking is less about beating others at the range, and more learning to wring the most we can out of ourselves and what we have--the sum of her experience is a little skeet while visiting cousins in BC a few summers ago, and mine is in college with an 07/SOT friend's AK and Thompsons, so even with what we have the operators will be holding the systems back at first rather than vice versa.

Slings, right now we're running webs--BFG Vickers on mine, ESS Shift (closest function-alike I could get for the Canadian standard issue 2-to-1 convertible) on hers. Should be easier to swap on match days than the whole thing about having to tear the handguards apart and reassemble them...

In that case maybe also consider trying some Appleseed Events?
Free Printable Targets

Aloha, Mark

PS....in Canada there is a Project Mapleseed.

Last Edited:
Thanks, Mark, I knew about Appleseed but haven't been able to find any in my area, and have suggested she look into Mapleseed back around Toronto for maintenance/proficiency while back with her folks but she wants me to be her first guide into this world.

Re: Appleseed

There was this guy (he had a table) at the gun show in Carson, WA. If, that is close enough?

Contact Lilhigbee (a member here). He probably knows of whom I speak.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I don't see anything scheduled except for Port Townsend and Redmond, WA. Maybe a covid thing.

Speaking of Appleseed.

I built this for shooting Appleseed events.

GEDC1134-1.jpg

If you want a scope.....go with a scope.

Copy-of-GEDC1138-1-1.jpg

But, I never got around to participating in an Appleseed event. Oh well....no harm in practicing on my own. And 22LR ammo is alot cheaper than the hi-power stuff.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top